IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > For Fans Only: Feedback About Midget Racing
3/4/09, 4:29 PM   #61
Re: For Fans Only: Feedback About Midget Racing
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I really don't care what their running if its good racing. I like to see a quality field and i've made a couple long trips to see 15 cars in what was promoted as a CLASSIC, higher paying purse and yet they still didn't show up. If the purse doesn't have to pay out positions 15-20-24 and consi money do I as a fan get back some of the money the promotor had plans on when he made the 35 dollar gate price? No.

Was their good racing? Well yeah except when the lights went out in 1-2 and they continued to run under green for three laps till the leader tagged the wall, LOL.

I've been to Winchester, watched a sprint race where the leader lapped up to third then watched their stock car class put on a unbelievable show that was probably 40mph slower. The racing was better. I've been to some Run Away Kings Royals where the Stock cars put on multiple passing and three cars at the line shows.

I wan't good racing and a full field of cars, a few name drivers and drop the :greenflag: I'll agree to the fact the competiton today seems more tight Howeer I also see owners dropping like flies and in some cases only run a handful of races or just totally pick and choose on whats worthy or not, Saving the Dynamite motor for the Gold Cup and the silly bowl. And I say I can't blame them. I might under a budget be the same way.

I remember some late 80s and early 90s races where if one of two names didn't win it was a huge surprise. Vogler and Olsen. Today at at least national events any one of ten teams or drivers could win at any time and a handful more have a legitiment shot at it.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 3/4/09 at 4:36 PM.

3/6/09, 8:40 AM   #62
E.P.

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
Additionally, Don said this thread is for fans only. I have a feeling that more than just race fans may have responded to this.:confused:

Aren't we all fans regardless if we are personally involved or not? :confused: If my old buddy old pal DonMoore10 didn't want drivers, owners, promoters or officials to comment he should have worded his question as such and left it to the people who pay to get in and have no other involvement.

3/6/09, 9:25 AM   #63
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.P. View Post
Aren't we all fans regardless if we are personally involved or not? :confused: If my old buddy old pal DonMoore10 didn't want drivers, owners, promoters or officials to comment he should have worded his question as such and left it to the people who pay to get in and have no other involvement.
My take on it is this analogy: If somebody asks a few people what they think of Bruce Springsteen's music, that person doesn't want Bruce Springsteen to be one of the people asked.

It's for ticket buying fans only. And we seem to be looked down upon on IOW by some.

IMO, we are kind of splitting hairs on this. I think most people understood his query...well, I shouldn't speak for most people I suppose. I'll just say that I think I understood what he meant.

3/6/09, 4:11 PM   #64
DonMoore10

Despite some nonsense off topic posts here and there, we got some pretty good answers, and I think most of those that answered were just race fans without a connection to a race team. We aren't done with this thread, believe me. I'd like to see more comments, actually. I will be posting my thoughts based on the answers in the near future.

3/6/09, 4:26 PM   #65
pgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10
I will be posting my thoughts based on the answers in the near future.
Thanks for the warning !:rolling

Sorry Don , I couldn't resist ! :thumb

:Steer

3/7/09, 1:22 AM   #66
michiganmadman

I have been a race fan forever, and enjoy many different genres of racing. I have seen racing lawnmowers put on a great show. I had no idea if it was a Craftsman or a Toro that won. Had no idea what kind of tires or oil he was using. I don't care. No different when I see a midget or sprint race. I typically watch from the pits and help out a buddy with his sprinter. I do know who the chassis manufacturers are, who the engine builders are, etc. I really do not care what brand of anything a guy wins with. A good race is a good race, regardless of what is being raced.

I love to see two or three or five guys battling for the win. If seven inch wheels with garden tractor tires on a midget will put on that show, I want to see it.

Someone (Leadersedge I believe) stated that a lack of driver recognition doesn't help, I totally agree. Driver recognition is what built Nascar, WOO, and dirt late model racing. USAC needs to put their drivers on a pedestal, and sell the drivers. Name recognition works for every other sport on the planet, and if an organization follows that theory, it will be far more successful than one who doesn't promote the names.

Oh, Don Moore, I am one of the few that typically agree with you. Your autobiography was an interesting read, thanks for taking time to share that with us. Obviously being an educated fellow, you have thought your opinions through quite thoroughly before opening up to fellow members here on IOW. Midget racing has been serving Koolaid for years now, and people are drinking it...alot of it.
Last edited by michiganmadman; 3/7/09 at 1:25 AM.

3/7/09, 9:57 AM   #67
DonMoore10

Michiganmadman: That's one of the best posts I've read on here in years.

3/7/09, 3:30 PM   #68
racingirl

Thanks!

3/9/09, 2:24 PM   #69
rieso

I've been going to the prairie for years, and I was there last year for the Irs races. To say they were great I think would be a stretch, good would probably be a better description. Not to take anything away from those guys, because to me, the more racing the better, but there wasn't allot of side by side racing. Could it have been because of the rough track and the small right rear tires, maybe, maybe not. As far as the tire deal goes, if your talking about using a full size American racer, then yeah I'm all for it, but if you mean going to the same size right rear as IRS, then I say no. The racing would be much worse in my opinion. For years I have'nt been able to figure out how it's legal to only be allowed to use one brand of tire, whether it be right rears only, both rears, or all four corners. Hoosiers got quite the monopoly going on right know in midgets and winged sprint cars. I've always been a fan of American racer, so I guess I'm biased, but it does not seem right to not have a choice. To me the main problem with car counts at weekly midget show is twofold. The first problem is the soaring engine costs and the difference in those engines. The lower dollar guys without the big buck engines are at such a dissadvantage their ability to win is almost nonexistant, They have to have their cars set up perfect just to compete. Problem number two in my opinion, which is related to problem number one, is new drivers. If a kid wants to start out racing, if his or her parents don't have a pile of money to throw away, they can't afford to go racing. If the kid don't start out strong right out of the box, which means have top of the line equipment, they won't get a chance to develop before the parents money runs out. It's to the point where you can't afford to compete, the purses are so top heavy, that drivers and owners just stay home. Don't get me wrong, I love midget racing, especially dirt, and i love those big engines, but I am more concerned for our sport than I have been in a long time. Midget racing will survive, but someone needs to think outside the box and try to make some changes soon.

3/9/09, 9:05 PM   #70
hudcone

hey Don how bout hiring me to run some races ?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > For Fans Only: Feedback About Midget Racing