IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mutual Racing Association?
2/17/09, 9:25 PM   #11
Re: Mutual Racing Association?
Uncle_Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ2M View Post
Madison was on of my favorites.
Joe
Good deal!

BTW...I am looking for a ride (for a past champion, not me) for the Madison race. Any chance that you would blow the dust off your car and bring it to Madison? He's a great driver and a heck of a guy. Just a thought....

Thanks Joe!

Charlie Dwenger

2/18/09, 8:59 AM   #12
TQ2M

Charlie,
My car is apart and retired. I wouldn't be opposed to helping the right car/driver combo. I've got a lot of "stuff"!
Joe

2/18/09, 11:51 AM   #13
Uncle_Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ2M View Post
Charlie,
My car is apart and retired. I wouldn't be opposed to helping the right car/driver combo. I've got a lot of "stuff"!
Joe
Thanks Joe!

I'll keep on lookin for a ride for "the SNAKE." It has too be a good ride. I hate to see this guy get into a "back-yard special." That is why I ask about the "Deuce-M."
You always did have alot of "stuff"....the "right stuff." :checkered:

Catch ya later,

Charlie Dwenger

2/18/09, 12:42 PM   #14
psullivan

Sandy,

I went back to 1st annual TQ National Championship program for a race held at Richmond (IN) on 9/21/57 - it noted the formation of the Midwest TQ Assn at the Rushville Airport (I wrote about this a bit in a SC & M article on the UMRA a few years ago) in 1951 and an indoor race was held at Hobart Arena at Troy Ohio (I have this program and Don Hewitt was a participant -or at least entered ). What really confused things is that by 1957 the Midwest TQ Assn is based in Muncie (a home base for the Mutual Racing Assn Roadsters)- At Columbus Oh the Buckeye TQ group was formed - and at Salem (undoubtedly at the fairgrounds)The Mutual TQ group was formed - The UMRA as a 1970 promotional flyer notes was formed by "uniting" Midwest with other existing clubs in Fall, 1960.

2/18/09, 7:53 PM   #15
Sandy Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Sandy, does the name Bill Eply, Epley, come up in your data base? He said his dad ran, when they ran a lot at Muncie, in the early years. Bob
Bob,

I just looked at all of the information I had on UMRA through 1981 (I don't have anything for 1961 & 1964) and the name Epley does not appear.

Sandy

2/18/09, 8:01 PM   #16
Sandy Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by psullivan View Post
Sandy,

I went back to 1st annual TQ National Championship program for a race held at Richmond (IN) on 9/21/57 - it noted the formation of the Midwest TQ Assn at the Rushville Airport (I wrote about this a bit in a SC & M article on the UMRA a few years ago) in 1951 and an indoor race was held at Hobart Arena at Troy Ohio (I have this program and Don Hewitt was a participant -or at least entered ). What really confused things is that by 1957 the Midwest TQ Assn is based in Muncie (a home base for the Mutual Racing Assn Roadsters)- At Columbus Oh the Buckeye TQ group was formed - and at Salem (undoubtedly at the fairgrounds)The Mutual TQ group was formed - The UMRA as a 1970 promotional flyer notes was formed by "uniting" Midwest with other existing clubs in Fall, 1960.
Pat,
Thanks for the info. I'll have to pull out my SC&M magazines and find the article. I know there was a TQ race on August 16, 1966 at Marysville, Ohio that was not a UMRA race. That night Rick Meyer drove for my dad and qualified 12th, won the heat and finished 6th in the feature (making $35.00). Maybe that was the Buckeye TQ's? Ralph Bickel, Jr. would probably have more information in that group.
Sandy

2/18/09, 9:01 PM   #17
TQ29m

Sandy, I believe he was out of the Michigan group, that ran primarily at Muncie, and his favorite track was Rushville, probably in the time frame you mentioned. Did you come up with anything on Benny Nay? He was a self described"backmarker", but now is the owner of a car, that knows Victory Lane! Bob

2/18/09, 10:38 PM   #18
TQ2M

I remember Benny. He ran in the early to mid 80's.

2/18/09, 10:40 PM   #19
TQ2M

I have some of Bennys mags. stored away somewhere. I think it was called Midget and Minisprint magizine (?)

2/18/09, 10:55 PM   #20
TQ29m

Joe, he came to a few races this past season, lives in Oak Hill, Ohio. He bought JL's car, and plans on running some races this summer. He sent me some of his old publications, very interesting, and one heck of a writer, and graphics, I'll have to add one of his "impressions" as my avitar! Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mutual Racing Association?