IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Push Vehicles For Ft. Wayne
12/22/08, 5:26 AM   #1
Push Vehicles For Ft. Wayne
Tony Barhorst

I am considering a change in push vehicles to start the midgets in Fort Wayne.

I am looking for new ideas to have more exhaust efficient vehicles.

E-mail Tony Barhorst with your name..previous experience and type of vehicle, and phone number.

Thanks,
Tony Barhorst
rumbleseries.com
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 12/22/08 at 6:16 PM.

12/22/08, 11:41 AM   #2
Re: Push Vehicles For Ft. Wayne
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

Kansas had large Atvs pushing the cars.Did a pretty good job from what i seen. Sounds like a great idea.:thumb

12/22/08, 12:54 PM   #3
RcrSkyChk

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: n/a

Although I do love that hotrod that's always at Ft Wayne!!

12/22/08, 1:51 PM   #4
smbpreformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrSkyChk View Post
Although I do love that hotrod that's always at Ft Wayne!!
It the hot rod was also in Toledo but the one that had the most issues was an old pick up truck that was blowing smoke everywhere trying to get the field started

12/22/08, 1:57 PM   #5
RacinJason

I dont think there is any ATV out there that would start a midget on that sticky floor. I think you'd just tear up rearends. They might work on dirt. I say keep the T Bucket:thumb

12/22/08, 5:41 PM   #6
DAGER

Tony,
You really need to look alittle deeper into this. Its not just finding any vehicle to push off a midget. These motor have lots of compression, and need to get rolling quickly once you start pushing them. If an underpowered vehicle tries to push one off and its going too slow the engine can kick back and break the driveline or rearend. Your going to have some serious problems with the owners of a broken midget if that happens. Also these VW's are hard enough too start cold with a regular truck let alone an ATV.

JMO

12/22/08, 6:15 PM   #7
Tony Barhorst

I most likely will keep the status quo...I realize the ATV issues...I have heard that Winchester has had Gemcar electric truck push at times. Has anyone seen that in action?

I am just looking for possible alternatives. I will go on record as being a PRO starter opinion on sprints and midgets. The pushing is a monumental waste of energy.

T

12/22/08, 6:16 PM   #8
LEADERS EDGE

What we use at the shop is a Lumina. It is low so it won't run over the bumper and it is front wheel drive. The weight on the tires make it get a good grip.

Dave Conn had/has one he used here at the shop one day and it worked so much better than the truck that we started using an old Lumina we have. Works like a charm with very little wheel spin. We have started many midgets and sprints with it.

12/22/08, 6:28 PM   #9
indywally

Tony I don't think you need to make a wholesale change here other than start pushing the cars off closer to the pit gate so that they are rolling well or started prior to hitting the race surface. Also a big 4 wheeler kept in the center to push the cars off that are having problems or need restarted would quicken the show up but really the only problrm with the pickup smoking the tires is because of where he was starting out at.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Push Vehicles For Ft. Wayne