IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Disposal of Used Tires
9/25/08, 11:53 PM   #1
Disposal of Used Tires
Tony74

I was wondering if any one had creative ways for getting rid of junk tires….
Our local counties have Toxic-Away days but they’ll only take 4-6 tires a time, any more usually costs you. I do have access to an incinerator but the tires must be cut into small pieces.
That’s my next question; I’ve tired saw-all’s, bolt cutters, and even a wood splitter is there any easy way to cut the bead of the tire??
Has anyone used a wood chipper on them before?

Thanks for the advice or help…

9/26/08, 12:00 PM   #2
Re: Disposal of Used Tires
LEADERS EDGE

Isn't that what trailer parks and Wal-Mart parking lots are for?

9/26/08, 2:02 PM   #3

The next time you have a big rodeo or anything involving horses, take a bunch over there. I've gotten rid of a lot of tires this way-them guys lay the tires down for mats in the trailers so the horses have some padding to stand on. I usually will cut them up myself before I go. With the help of a friend to assist in holding the tire, just take a utility knife and cut the sidewall / bead from the tread-they cut very fast and easy if you go right down the bottom of a groove. Then all that you have to throw away is the sidewall / bead rings, which will hide in your favorite neighborhood dumpster quite easily. Also, if you notice any start up machine shops, sometimes they will take them to use as floor mats in front of mills, lathes, etc...

9/27/08, 2:01 PM   #4
LEADERS EDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6565 View Post
The next time you have a big rodeo or anything involving horses, take a bunch over there. I've gotten rid of a lot of tires this way-them guys lay the tires down for mats in the trailers so the horses have some padding to stand on. I usually will cut them up myself before I go. With the help of a friend to assist in holding the tire, just take a utility knife and cut the sidewall / bead from the tread-they cut very fast and easy if you go right down the bottom of a groove. Then all that you have to throw away is the sidewall / bead rings, which will hide in your favorite neighborhood dumpster quite easily. Also, if you notice any start up machine shops, sometimes they will take them to use as floor mats in front of mills, lathes, etc...

Sure! There's that if you want to be practical and enviromentally friendly and all. I was just giving one option, I'm sure there are plenty of other "green" options out there.
(For anyone who doesn't realize; I'm just kidding about the trailers and Wal-Mart lot. Sort of.)

9/29/08, 11:13 AM   #5
sprinter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony74 View Post
I was wondering if any one had creative ways for getting rid of junk tires….
Our local counties have Toxic-Away days but they’ll only take 4-6 tires a time, any more usually costs you. I do have access to an incinerator but the tires must be cut into small pieces.
That’s my next question; I’ve tired saw-all’s, bolt cutters, and even a wood splitter is there any easy way to cut the bead of the tire??
Has anyone used a wood chipper on them before?

Thanks for the advice or help…
I'd run them 'til they're half worn out, them sell them to a really low buck guy....and then let him figure out how to get rid of them......

9/29/08, 10:05 PM   #6
No Wings

it's a little work cut the side walls out with saws saw and most disposal companies will take them.

9/30/08, 1:43 PM   #7
tqracer53

take a sharp razor blade and cut the side walls out and throw them in the trash. the sides will cut like butter. the saw will be much more work.

10/1/08, 7:01 AM   #8
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter25 View Post
I'd run them 'til they're half worn out, them sell them to a really low buck guy....and then let him figure out how to get rid of them......

so your the guy that supplies our tires!!!:O:

10/1/08, 7:02 AM   #9
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
Isn't that what trailer parks and Wal-Mart parking lots are for?
classic!!!! :rolling

10/1/08, 9:47 AM   #10
Brewer 14

You might check with the Solid Waste Management department in your county. They are probably the people sponsoring the haul off days you have currently. They are big sponsors of recycling. If they can't help you might check with your deparment of public works or the county highway garage they may be able to take them off your hands and get them recycled. I know around here if these tires are found along the roads the road crews pick them up and after they accumulate they are hauled off and recycled. Just a few ideas I could come up with.

J.L. Brewer

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Disposal of Used Tires