IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ky IndyCar Race!
8/10/08, 1:53 AM   #11
Re: Ky IndyCar Race!
psullivan

She faded late, ran at least as high as tenth and ran a very credible race

8/10/08, 1:59 AM   #12
Fullthrottle410

I was glad to see that she picked up some additional sponsorship. Does anyone know if she is planning on running anymore races this year?

8/10/08, 2:16 AM   #13
chadsniffsmethanol

I just got home from the indycar race. It was a good one, the indy lights almost put on a better show. My only complaint, as someone else mentioned, was the line to get in. They really do need to rethink the no cooler thing or lower food and drink prices.

8/10/08, 5:56 AM   #14
hoosierhillbilly

I believe the Dollar General Sponsporship includes the race at Chicagoland for Sarah Fisher. SHe had a great run. A 15th is not representitive of how she ran.

As for giving away tickets and discounted tickets, I think a track has to do something to put butts in the seats. Having empty seats looks really bad for any track. THe Ky truck race was a good example. The crowd for that races was light. Bruton does discounts to his track too. The fall cup race at Charlotte has a $99 Super Ticket that includes a race at the dirt trac, the Nationwide Race, CUp Quals and the CUp race.

As for KY, I am one who jumped at the cheaper ticket price. I would not pay their high prices for a full price ticket. THus I have not been back since the first IRL race at KY. However, A cheaper ticket, $20 versus $60 for my row, gave me financial justification to go. Normally, I would have spent the savings on food or something else but as mentioned their prices are high. A little cheaper and I would have bought some food too. As a result, we left immediately after the race and at in Northern Kentucky. We probably spent the same but got better food.

8/10/08, 9:55 AM   #15
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by psullivan View Post
Why would Helio who is second in points and races for Penske gift a race to the points leader who drives for Ganassi? His car burped on the last lap - that's all it takes - he was a sitting duck. If you don't believe read the transcripts of the post-race press conference. There is not a conspiracy behind every life event.
Pat Sullivan is a very credible source for info. If he says there is no conspiracy theory, you can take that to the bank. By the way Dr. Pat, nice job on the mike last night.

I was torn between the 'burg and the IndyCar race. A friend handed me a fistfull of free KY tix and that sealed the deal. And I must say it was a very entertaining race. And rooting for Sarah and Ed Carpenter was fun.

Sorry I missed the 'burg but glad I went to KY. Good stuff.

8/10/08, 11:51 AM   #16
psullivan

Thanks a bunch for the nice compliment --- but trust me - I was trying to get updates from the Burg too!

8/10/08, 12:24 PM   #17
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by psullivan View Post
She faded late, ran at least as high as tenth and ran a very credible race
Sarah did VERY well considering it was her 2nd race of the season. She was in 10th or 11th at the white flag and had a right rear wheel bearing issue. (you could see her slowing on the backstraight when the leaders passed.) That is why she ended up 15th at the line. She had Danica and several others covered. Great run, she was very excited in the post race interview. :thumb
David.

8/10/08, 2:29 PM   #18
Wingman

Both races were outstanding! Racing in the front and back of the fields. Indy lights man...those guys/gals are racy!

8/11/08, 12:21 AM   #19
mikew

They said on Wind Tunnel tonight that the deal with SMI isn't official yet and the deal will lapse in the next week or so if SMI doesn't sign the contract. They had a big SMI logo paintied on the infield that said "coming soon". The same logo was on the white towels they handed out. It sounds like Ky was trying to impress SMI officials with a "Sellout" no matter what. But they had something like 10 thousand empty seats (easily).

This was my first visit to Ky Speedway and I have to say it was a first class facility. The grounds were beautiful, the stands and the track were top notch. There was a lot of variety with the concessions. And the race was really good. Oh, and by the way, the parking was free.

As for lines and food prices.... I had heard that traffic could be a problem, so we got there around 3:30 and set up the grill, had some beers and some brauts, carried in a few bottles of water. We didn't buy any food inside the track since we were already full. Getting out of the track was no problem except there was a backup where 71 and 75 come together. We capped off the evening with a stop at Dunkin Donuts in Florence, KY and got back in the Columbus, OH vicinity before 1am.

After attending Kentucky this year, I am a bit torn about whether I will go to Kentucky or Mid-Ohio next year since they are on back to back weekends and I doubt my wife will release me for both races, especially since sprint week will have just wrapped up.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ky IndyCar Race!