IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kyle Larson & Brad Sweet NEW HighLimits Sprint Car Series $$
7/13/22, 8:41 PM   #11
Re: Kyle Larson & Brad Sweet NEW HighLimits Sprint Car Serie
Will Shunk

The good ole days have returned! WoO and ASCoC of 1978. No series lockup. Real outlaws. Run what you brung and race wherever you damn want. I went to numerous mid week shows at that time and they paid well, were packed with fans, cars, and stars. Long shows was the nail in the coffin...too many classes, too many wrecks, inept clean up crews, and an occasional rain delay. One support class with timed races and 3 hour max event length. (SRX, Tony, CBS, etc, are showing the way to make it work) About time our beloved tracks, sprint cars, and drivers get bigger paychecks, more exposure, and motorsports respect.

5 members like this post: addictedtodirt, Big Mike 7, dkdorkboy, Hubie48, PIT CART
7/13/22, 8:59 PM   #12
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Not a fan of this. Coming from two guys who used USAC racing to launch their careers and now use their resources to support winged racing? Almost as bad as Tony Stewart owning the Gall Stars and Eldora and hardly booking any USAC races there. Be careful what you wish for folks, I witnessed non-wing sprints die out in Iowa and almost completely died out in Indiana in the mid to late 80’s. It can happen. Look where they’re having the first race! Putnamville Indiana. Putnamville was one of the last holdouts for non-wing in the 80’s. And this is where they do this. Screw those guys. Wings suck!

4 members like this post: duel, Hubie48, oppweld, yeleyfan76
7/13/22, 9:23 PM   #13
Will Shunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
Not a fan of this. Coming from two guys who used USAC racing to launch their careers and now use their resources to support winged racing? Almost as bad as Tony Stewart owning the Gall Stars and Eldora and hardly booking any USAC races there. Be careful what you wish for folks, I witnessed non-wing sprints die out in Iowa and almost completely died out in Indiana in the mid to late 80’s. It can happen. Look where they’re having the first race! Putnamville Indiana. Putnamville was one of the last holdouts for non-wing in the 80’s. And this is where they do this. Screw those guys. Wings suck!
You may be absolutely correct regarding the demise of non wing racing due to reasonable purse structures and payouts in the wing world. I am a staunch supporter of non wing sprint car racing for 50 years +. Their careers were launched in winged outlaw karts in CA, not USAC. When the path to Indy dried up, so did $ and stars running USAC as a career. USAC has been a rung on the career ladder for at least 30 years. Non wing sprint shows at Eldora have been generally snoozers since humper tires and dry slick was necessary to keep the cars and drivers on the racing surface. They simply do not draw fans to Eldora anymore so Tony runs what people want to see. Our ONLY hope is Brad and Kyle build in a couple of Indiana non wing shows for variety during the 2023 or 2024 season. In a free market economy, butts in the seats and eyes on FLO will determine the life expectancy of our non wing sprint car future.

2 members like this post: Hubie48, PIT CART
7/13/22, 9:58 PM   #14
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

14-minute video of the announcement from Brad Sweet & Kyle Larson's in Eldora Speedway's media center with a bunch of questions from the media.

https://www.floracing.com/video/7902...oh1YBraDQBzA70

1 member likes this post: Milly
7/13/22, 9:59 PM   #15
Re: Kyle Larson & Brad Sweet NEW High Limit Sprint Car Serie
cornerthree

Hopefully they have a invert like USAC put on a show for the fans. Not all heat winners from the front row PLEASE

7/13/22, 10:18 PM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

So Larson Pulls a Xtreme on the WoO.
ya can't make this stuff up.

We're going to run weeknights. But June and July and Knoxville Nationals are all booked already. So most of this will be school nights?

7/13/22, 11:24 PM   #17
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Shunk View Post
You may be absolutely correct regarding the demise of non wing racing due to reasonable purse structures and payouts in the wing world. I am a staunch supporter of non wing sprint car racing for 50 years +. Their careers were launched in winged outlaw karts in CA, not USAC. When the path to Indy dried up, so did $ and stars running USAC as a career. USAC has been a rung on the career ladder for at least 30 years. Non wing sprint shows at Eldora have been generally snoozers since humper tires and dry slick was necessary to keep the cars and drivers on the racing surface. They simply do not draw fans to Eldora anymore so Tony runs what people want to see. Our ONLY hope is Brad and Kyle build in a couple of Indiana non wing shows for variety during the 2023 or 2024 season. In a free market economy, butts in the seats and eyes on FLO will determine the life expectancy of our non wing sprint car future.
Really?? Larson was a no-name until he ran USAC midgets. Yeah he started in Outlaw Karts in cali but that wasn’t what launched him to NSACAR. You obviously didn’t attend any of the USAC sprint races at Eldora pre-Stewart when Earl still owned the place. They were so well attended he was booking up to 5 USAC sprint races per year. More than Outlaws or All Stars. I was there and the crowds were good. Actually USAC has been a stepping stone to Indy and NASCAR for more than 30 years lol. How many NASCAR stars has gall stars produced? And by the way I have a collection of home video we took from Eldora in the 90’s and there’s not a snoozer in the bunch. Just ask Jack Hewitt, Lealand McSpadden, Steve Kinser, Bubby Jones, Frankie Kerr, Kevin Doty, Dave Darland, Tracy Hines, Steve Butler, Johnny Parsons, Gary Fisher(flipping out of the park), Eric Gordon, Byron Reed, Rich Vogler, Steve Butler and every other driver you just baselessly insulted you friggin moron.
Last edited by ThrowbackRacingTeam; 7/13/22 at 11:51 PM.

4 members like this post: duel, Hubie48, Milly, Pancho Stapp
7/14/22, 8:38 AM   #18
dkdorkboy

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 52

I attend events each for both non wing and wingers.It seems to me there is older crowd at the Usac events.The younger crowd likes the speed and the party atmosphere the Woo brings.

2 members like this post: 2rock21, PIT CART
7/14/22, 9:42 AM   #19
deadhorse30

As I posted on another thread. I went to a Friday WoO - Sat USAC show at Eldora when Earl owned the place and when the WoO left to go to Lernerville the fans went with them. The crowd was about half on Saturday. The WoO draws, it's that simple.

As far how this will play out with the WoO teams, I don't know. They haven't played nice with anyone in the past and have been pretty aggressive with their tracks and teams. I don't think they will lose many teams. I believe when Sides had his lawsuit with them he commented he lost $50000 in tow money for the year when they pulled his platinum status for running a 360 race. That kind of money keeps teams going and I doubt very many will want to just walk away from it. Remember when Mansfield had the $100000 to win race and the WoO teams couldn't run? This could get real interesting very soon.

4 members like this post: JarrettFarms73, Jonr, nathans1012, progressive22
7/14/22, 11:19 AM   #20
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

They show up for the WoO because it's rare in most areas of the country and to see if their home guys can beat em in PA and CA and Knox area..

I bet the Kings Royal isn't 2/3rd sellout, the million weekend wasn't and a few of them Flo LM specials haven't been close. others, biggest crowd they've had.

WoO is a risk for any track, This is just as big if not bigger. I also think Smoke has something to do with it, The tracks that will take a risk on it are the ones that if they lose a hundred grand, It's not going to kill the owner financially. And Im betting Flo and a sponsor is covering a lot of the purse, if not outright leasing the tracks to do it.

1 member likes this post: Longtime sprinter
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kyle Larson & Brad Sweet NEW HighLimits Sprint Car Series $$