IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World of outlaws to implement fire suppression system in ‘23
1/26/22, 11:43 PM   #11
Re: World of outlaws to implement fire suppression system in
Gene Franckowiak

I guess we'll find out.

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
1/27/22, 4:34 AM   #12
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendirt View Post
My take would be that if you can't afford a fire system for your 410 Sprint Car you're in the wrong class.
Is anyone using them NOW? Does any series/track require them?

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
1/27/22, 6:47 AM   #13
kendirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Is anyone using them NOW? Does any series/track require them?
Nope, not to my knowledge.

Since the SFI spec for a Sprint Car system doesn’t currently exist, you can't go buy one that meets 2023 rules today if you wanted to.
Last edited by kendirt; 1/27/22 at 8:20 AM.

1/27/22, 8:31 AM   #14
Agentry10

When are we going to except the fact auto racing is dangerous people get hurt and killed in this sport its not touch football we as drivers owners and teams accept this and if you don't stay out of the cars simple fix just the way I see it

2 members like this post: Gene Franckowiak, sprinter14
1/27/22, 10:04 AM   #15
Kart#51

Some 30 years later we have gotten to a place where we are working to prevent another Doug Wolfgang situation. Crashing is inherent and we all accept it, but fire is the silent one and biggest fear of all.

After last year's two fiery crashes, Knoxville prelim night with McMahan/Macedo and the qualifying fire of Zeb Wise in Pa its time we use our knowledge and technology for better protection. The cost of such is an added cost, but if you ask Wolf.....I"m sure he'd be the first to tell you that cost ain't $h!t.

I applaud the WoO for pushing the safety envelope. Never thought I would see this type of safety element in sprint cars.
Last edited by Kart#51; 1/27/22 at 10:10 AM.

2 members like this post: Jonr, Sprintfanatic
1/27/22, 10:16 AM   #16
sp6967

woo makes them run wings, fire suppression system is the next logical step.

1/27/22, 11:21 AM   #17
jdull99

Somebody on Hoseheads said there is a system for $600 (maybe it was two years ago and is $750 now)...either way, not too bad if your racing for $10,000 to win...but proly won't do anything to help a team thats struggling just to be there...

Back in the day, before seat belts, the thought was it was better to be thrown clear; missing the fire!
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1/27/22, 11:31 AM   #18
TQ29m

Rex Mays wasn't it, one of my favorite drivers of the period? Thrown out of his car and then ran over on the track after hitting the wall.
Last edited by TQ29m; 1/27/22 at 12:31 PM.

1/27/22, 11:37 AM   #19
Agentry10

Heck I am one that believes that the best thing that could happen for sprint car racing is cut the roll cages off of them and bring back the respect for one another cause 1 bone head move can cost you the ultimate price then it goes back to who is willing to pay that price thats why racing has gotten the way it has the false since of security

6 members like this post: Gene Franckowiak, jonboat15, K92, kinser, spicoli, sprinter14
1/27/22, 1:03 PM   #20
PJ Wright

I'm just a simple minded fan. A dusty track doesn't ruin my night. Over priced concessions don't ruin my night. Questionable restrooms don't ruin my night. The one thing that is absolutely guaranteed to ruin my night is to see a racer seriously injured or killed.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World of outlaws to implement fire suppression system in ‘23