IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Red or yellow
11/22/21, 11:17 AM   #11
Re: Red or yellow
ISF

Red flag use is not mandatory for rollovers at the Chili Bowl. What is different there than anywhere else?

Not quibbling, just curious.

1 member likes this post: Midget98
11/22/21, 11:31 AM   #12
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 12
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
Red flag use is not mandatory for rollovers at the Chili Bowl. What is different there than anywhere else?

Maybe because it would take a month to complete? Still dangerous.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
11/22/21, 11:40 AM   #13
Midget98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post

While some may argue there is a difference, the simple truth is that there is not. Flips at the Chili Bowl are no different than flips at any other track. Some of the nastiest wrecks and flips that I have seen have been at Tulsa and, in contrast, it is also not uncommon for cars that have flipped to be pushed off to continue the race.
That being said, there is no reason that there should be a one-size-fits-all rule for this. The red flag rule came from the early days when cars had bolt on cages or no roll cages at all. Of course, a flip was far more serious in those days and red flags were necessary in nearly all of these incidents. By no means am I saying that red flags should never happen, but in many situations, they are simply not necessary. The flag man and other track personnel should have some discretion in situations were a car merely tips over.

11/22/21, 11:47 AM   #14
cornerthree

Because they run the cars though the infield. Thatb keeps the area of the track clear for the saftey crew.

11/22/21, 4:04 PM   #15
kinser

No matter what there should be a red. Obliviously some of the people commenting have never seen an official or a track worker killed.

11/22/21, 6:36 PM   #16
Stevensville Mike

Red. Best solution. I can wait for the cars to be pushed off after the tipsy-turvey, easy rollover, or monsterous multi-flip.

Good question, though.

5 members like this post: boomer, cornerthree, Ken Bonnema, racenut69, tirespinner
11/22/21, 7:04 PM   #17
Jcpelly

As a driver who has been sitting in the car upside down after an easy roll with fuel leaking on to my neck and then into my helmet I was really glad they went red and got to me as soon as they could to get me out of there.

11/23/21, 8:15 PM   #18
bigrickpa

+1

1 member likes this post: kinser
11/26/21, 7:53 PM   #19
Tief

If a car is on its side, the top of the cage could be exposed to traffic. That's not a good place to get hit, even at yellow flag speeds.

3 members like this post: captrat, Hustlin-Hoosier, tirespinner
11/27/21, 8:02 PM   #20
BobKoorsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim Rider View Post
What drives me crazy is that the emergency vehicles leave their flashing lights on when they are on the track and all of the cars have stopped. I was knocked unconscious during a flip at Putnamville in a sprint car. When I came to, all of the flashing lights really freaked me out. Anyone who has been in a racing accident knows that your adrenaline is really pumping and the flashing light do not help. EMT’s, thank you for all that you do, but as soon as you are out of harms way, turn off your lights. It will make everyone in the stands calm down too.
That's a tough ask...as it goes against EVERYTHING they're trained to do the 98% of the week they're NOT at a race track.

2 members like this post: PJ Wright, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Red or yellow