IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > WHo's at Anderson?
7/27/08, 1:30 AM   #41
Re: WHo's at Anderson?
bigmojo5

It also did not help that the Wolverine group and UMARA had a co-sanctioned race at Kalamazoo. They had 21 or so cars. Just half of those would have guaranteed a 33-car field in Anderson. I see some names I would have expected for the Anderson race. David Gough and David Byrne among them.
Now it makes more sense on why there were not more cars at Anderson.

Putting on a set of old pavement tires, qualifying and running 10 laps or so sure would have gone a long way on paying the fuel bill to Kansas, considering the money they were paying just to start.

Guess it only goes to show that big money does not always guarantee a good field.
Jim Morrison

7/27/08, 8:39 AM   #42
Dyno Don

The 4,14,8,7,24 put on a pretty good show. There were several lead changes until Dakoda Armstrong locked it up around lap 330.

The main problem I saw was the small car count. It took the excitement of working their way through lapped traffic. There were too many cars that had no business on the track. It seemed like the 79 car was getting lapped every other lap.

I guess my best descritpion of the race is that it was a 400 lap heat race with a few chicanes thrown in.

7/27/08, 11:31 AM   #43
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Mud Packer, sorry I missed you. One of the things I would like to see us do on this board is to let each other know where we are going to be and arrange meetings. I realize that might be like herding cats, but might be worth a try. I'm from Springfield IL and remember bumping into Austin Sprinter when I sat next to him at the Phoenix mile, so I know there are a lot of us out there. Can't depend on chance all the time.

I agree that some of the cars probably shouldn't have been there, but that is what happens when there is a short field. I don't think that the 79 should be picked out for criticism, however. I didn't ever see her cause a problem, and there were several others who very slow when they happened to be on the track. Some ran a few laps, came in, worked on the car, came back out, ran a few more slow laps, etc. Also, I believe she was running a Ford Focus midget. I thought she did a good job.

Having said that, I thought all the slow cars did a good job keeping out of the way and the faster cars did a good job getting around the slower ones. I only remember one time there was a yellow for a wreck involving two cars (the key word probably being "remember").

Hope they have it next year.

Frank Daigh

7/27/08, 12:03 PM   #44
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtnonwingfan View Post
Mud Packer, sorry I missed you. One of the things I would like to see us do on this board is to let each other know where we are going to be and arrange meetings. I realize that might be like herding cats, but might be worth a try. I'm from Springfield IL and remember bumping into Austin Sprinter when I sat next to him at the Phoenix mile, so I know there are a lot of us out there. Can't depend on chance all the time.

I agree that some of the cars probably shouldn't have been there, but that is what happens when there is a short field. I don't think that the 79 should be picked out for criticism, however. I didn't ever see her cause a problem, and there were several others who very slow when they happened to be on the track. Some ran a few laps, came in, worked on the car, came back out, ran a few more slow laps, etc. Also, I believe she was running a Ford Focus midget. I thought she did a good job.

Having said that, I thought all the slow cars did a good job keeping out of the way and the faster cars did a good job getting around the slower ones. I only remember one time there was a yellow for a wreck involving two cars (the key word probably being "remember").

Hope they have it next year.

Frank Daigh

Frank,

You have a PM.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

7/27/08, 12:30 PM   #45
Honest-Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
You were correct that they only had 21 cars on the grid. However, there were more than 200-300 fans in the stands. I would think realistically 2200-2500 would be closer.
There weren't too many in the stands at 7:15 or so. Quite a few more were in the stands later on though. Tailgating before the race?
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...e&conn_speed=1

I DO think that this event has potential, in spite of a poor first outing where car count and attendance are concerned. Lots of good racing at the end. Guess we'll find out in about 8 months.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > WHo's at Anderson?