IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington
7/28/19, 8:40 PM   #31
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
Since you brought it up, would you agree that some of those bigger decisions that are as you say bashed, worth criticism? Flo is a disaster compared to what coverage USAC was given say just last year. I know you get what you pay for and that was a red flag right from the start. The gold crown series (remember that disaster) was a less than stellar decision. The severity of the Ballou decision will be a thorn in their side going forward. So yes they make blunders Brent. Get over it. They also somehow are still in charge of the best sprint car racing in the country. Hopefully they don’t mess it up. I’ll give you credit that you look thru rose colored glasses when judging this group, but I agree a bigger smarter vision might get these teams the money they deserve. Sadly there again was not one of these marquee Sprintweek events paying more than a normal purse. I’m unaware if the champ gets more than a rocking chair for busting their ass for 8 out of 10 days. If they do is it at least what a race purse is worth?? Sorry Brent if this is bashing but I live in Pa and the speedweek we had was 9 days with NO days off and only a couple of events paid 5gs. The rest were 7500,10g, or 12g to win. There was no sanction and the champ won 5gs for a title. No huge sponsor like NOS either. Lots of money paid in Speedway for salaries and still only this purse for the best sprint car racing in the country. Sorry if this is bashing but I feel the leadership could do better for these guys or maybe it’s time for new leadership. Enjoy the final nite of ISW as I’m green with envy that I live 800 miles away and can’t be there.

That was the two biggest crowds I’ve seen at Bloomington and Haubstadt. I think its simply a fact that racing attendance is a function of the general level of economic activity. What I’ve never seen is USAC presenting a strategy of where it is and where it wants to be. Still hoping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/28/19, 8:43 PM   #32
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz View Post
Great race! Speaking of Bloomington and Sprintweek in general- I can’t believe the inconsiderate people that stretch blankets, tape, etc. enough to seat 6 or 8 people early in the day then 2 or 3 show up and sit there. I see this happening a lot, in fact right in front of me last night at Bloomington. I don’t know where all the fans went who were walking through and seeing all the “saved” seats. Do we need seat police?

Yep. Reserving seats should be outlawed. We all don’t have the time to do that crap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 members like this post: FrankR63, tirespinner
7/28/19, 9:57 PM   #33
SoIllSprinter

I’m not a fan of seat saving myself, but do it out of necessity, especially during sprint week. What’s the alternative? Those that get in line for tickets first get first shot? You would still be aggravated. It may not seem fair, and I have been a little steamed at times myself, but one way or the other there are people who are going to get there first. My only real complaint, and I see it every big race I have been to where seat saving is allowed, is people taking up way mor space than they use or saving space for their coolers. This is behavior that is unacceptable in my book.

6 members like this post: chrismattlin, dirt330, Eatin Dirt, erich45, luckybuc97, tirespinner
7/29/19, 11:31 PM   #34
Re: Bloomington
sw1911

Make all seats reserved. I would gladly pay 5 more for that, which is less than TSS charges.

2 members like this post: cmakin, Schimmel1s
7/30/19, 12:00 AM   #35
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1911 View Post
Make all seats reserved. I would gladly pay 5 more for that, which is less than TSS charges.
Actually, TSS charges $3.00 over the general admission price for a reserved seat.

With that said, while I don’t agree that all seats should be reserved, I would not object if more tracks had at least some reserved seats.

2 members like this post: erich45, tirespinner
7/30/19, 3:58 AM   #36
SteelCore

As long as seat saving is allowed before the gates actually open I don't think I'll be going to Bloomington again. It's about an hour and a half from my house. Should be first come first serve.

3 members like this post: interpreter66, tirespinner, Xflagman
7/30/19, 6:02 AM   #37
hoscalecody

The people who really suck are the ones that save seats in the pits! Then they only go in the pits for 2-3 races a night and then complain when you set in their seat when they finally arrive. It really sucks when there isn't much of pit stands at that track. I've seen some bigger sprint car teams have to go to GA, just to see their car race because people saving seats.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/30/19, 9:37 AM   #38
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Thread is getting old I know, But I don't think any track should have
BEFORE RACEDAY Seat Saving.

Only complaint at LPS, Got there at 11am and had to go 7 rows from the bottom. Somewhat disabled and that trek isn't easy. Left it there all day and the people who had set seats next to me accused me of moving their seat. Almost had a scrap but he learned that his wife had put their seats right where they were. Ended up being friends. Last year I seen more than one disabled person being helped up the steps from way down. Yes they have turn one and turn two grandstands at plaza level but they're way out in the turns (Not my preferred vantage point)

Hey, I had a great time, But I honestly liked the Bloomington solution. DAY OF RACE, Not one, two or three days before.

Just my view.

As for higher pay, Id say each track brings in at least a thousand more fans than a average USAC race My math says thats a extra 25k (Almost the full purse of a usac show)
Some tracks depend on this to survive, SOme tracks it's a big bonus. But tacking a extra grand up top and raising the tail or tow money (Didn't make the feature) would be nice. Remember, almost half the field goes home losing a ton in tires, travel and pit passes. Some with tore up race cars.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/30/19 at 10:25 AM.

2 members like this post: ryan84, TNRustler
7/30/19, 2:15 PM   #39
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

I think you should absolutely be able to mark your seat(s) once the gate open; first through the gate gets first crack at marking or sitting. Sure some folks can still mark too much but in the commotion it happens less.

I attend almost all races alone, so meat in the seat is a ridiculous stance, sometimes I have to pee or maybe I want to give the tracks extra money and walk the pits. If I got there early I should be able to stake a piece of grandstand that was open. Pretty much everyone respects that, but some don't.

I do not, do not like random placed reserved seating. I had a personal experience and when I see marked by track reserved seats for season or other wise in random places I think less of the promoter. If you do reserved, do it in consistent sections, open it for anyone to be able to purchase, mark clearly AND advertise that some seats are reserved in press releases and web site. If you don't mark clearly and don't advertise and I get surprised on raceday, you better have a really good on track product before I hand you any more of my cash, because you just killed my trust.
Last edited by brsteg; 7/30/19 at 2:16 PM.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, SMITHVILLE
7/31/19, 12:54 PM   #40
hoscalecody

I agree with brsteg, saving seats is fine, but not until the gates open. Except for in the pits no saving seats in pit no matter what. I don't agree with people saving seats before the gates open or the day before.

We used to go to Limaland weekly. We'd go in when the gates open, mark our seat, sit down for a few minutes then go walk around and talk to our concession friends as the track was doing track prep. Then when hot laps are about to start go back and watch the races. We used to sit in the same spot for about 15 years every week, then we stopped going weekly when I started racing.
Last edited by hoscalecody; 7/31/19 at 12:59 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington