IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kody Swanson the best
5/28/18, 10:12 PM   #21
dsc1600

I’m happy he won over 50k this week. That’s a really good amount of money for a grassroots racer and frankly, with the way nascar and IndyCar are going, I think the difference between the “big time” and short track racing will be less and less.

IndyCar literally only has Indy and a couple of more events that draw more than flies and Nascar has declined by 50% or more from the peak.

5/28/18, 10:13 PM   #22
Re: Kody Swanson the best
Kendall2020

A good Champ car driver? lol, thats the understatement of the year. I'd bet if you ask Kody he'd say he's just a racer. Best ever? who knows
I will say this. If my house payment was on the line and it involved a champ car, sprint or midget on pavement, he'd be my pick.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, midnightrider, racer-x, tirespinner, wright59
5/29/18, 12:12 AM   #23
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftrear View Post
Oh my another lovefest for Kody ! He is a good champ car driver. When is he going to win in a sprint car ? Or a midget ? I don't have anything against him but come on , all this GOAT and "he is the best ever" stuff is really comical.

No, Your the comic, Kody has won non winged sprint cars several times including winning with a 360 multiple times against 410s, Who's the last person of any type of racing that basically dominated 700 laps in one weekend , I think he has about three winged sprint races to his credit.

Go get em Kody, I sure as heck believe no matter what they put him in, given decent seat time, he'd be a winner
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 5/29/18 at 12:30 AM.

3/15/19, 10:59 AM   #24
Will Shunk

Finished listening to the March 11 Dirt Nerds podcast with Kody Swanson. They inquired about his goals and why he has not had the opportunity to take his outstanding driving skills to the next level. When asked about the Clausen-Marshall Indy 500 effort, Kody's response was pure class. He praised the CMR team, the driver choice, and the hope they are very successful in May. He is a special person, the real deal on the track, and we all need to promote his future at CMR as they have great young dirt drivers but none are close to competing in an Indy Car. Kody has the talent to make a big splash if given the chance.

3/15/19, 11:08 AM   #25
flagboy55

I’ll have to give it a listen. I’m sure he’s going to have another great year and I wish him the best. From a fans perspective though I hope he has more competition on pavement this year. For all intents and purposes, he’s really only had to worry about his brother and Santos the last few seasons. I saw Spridge tweet he was excited about the depth of the pavement crown cars this year. I hope by that he means more with the ability to compete with those 3 instead of providing moving pylons for Kody

4 members like this post: Duane Hancock, jim goerge, oppweld, tirespinner
3/15/19, 10:24 PM   #26
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Shunk View Post
Finished listening to the March 11 Dirt Nerds podcast with Kody Swanson. They inquired about his goals and why he has not had the opportunity to take his outstanding driving skills to the next level. When asked about the Clausen-Marshall Indy 500 effort, Kody's response was pure class. He praised the CMR team, the driver choice, and the hope they are very successful in May. He is a special person, the real deal on the track, and we all need to promote his future at CMR as they have great young dirt drivers but none are close to competing in an Indy Car. Kody has the talent to make a big splash if given the chance.

Did they ask him about an Indy Lights or any other lower level rear-engine racing teams??? That would be more relevant to his "next level" chances than any 2019 500 effort. It is too bad, but I see no way that he could get a license to run the 500, without other rear-engine experience...we know he could do it, but not without their approval to even get on track. Only way - maybe - would be testing experiences which would be more than most teams could consider...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 3/15/19 at 10:25 PM.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
3/17/19, 11:20 AM   #27
Will Shunk

The podcast speaks to CMR starting an indy 500 attempt in 2019 with Pippa, Kody was most complimentary and said maybe a short track driver could have a chance in 3 or 4 years. I don't recall any suggestions from anyone on the podcast or on this forum regarding Kody running in 2019. We all know that would be folly. IMO Kody is the most adaptable, skilled, versatile, championship caliber short trackers out there right now. Plus he is a top quality person to represent the sponsors, team, and fan base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
Did they ask him about an Indy Lights or any other lower level rear-engine racing teams??? That would be more relevant to his "next level" chances than any 2019 500 effort. It is too bad, but I see no way that he could get a license to run the 500, without other rear-engine experience...we know he could do it, but not without their approval to even get on track. Only way - maybe - would be testing experiences which would be more than most teams could consider...

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, jdull99
3/17/19, 4:02 PM   #28
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Shunk View Post
The podcast speaks to CMR starting an indy 500 attempt in 2019 with Pippa, Kody was most complimentary and said maybe a short track driver could have a chance in 3 or 4 years. I don't recall any suggestions from anyone on the podcast or on this forum regarding Kody running in 2019. We all know that would be folly. IMO Kody is the most adaptable, skilled, versatile, championship caliber short trackers out there right now. Plus he is a top quality person to represent the sponsors, team, and fan base.
You are correct, some of these comments (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/sho...d.php?t=108212) ran together for me, and I didn't re-read this thread we are on. It does seem most now accept the fact anything would be a multi year endeavor, with some acceptance it's just not gona work out anymore for a guy jumping from a SC@M right to the Indy 500. I just have been reading ideas like that for years though. And I sure DO miss the brief time of the early IRL years when that did kinda happen! It was a good little era...

But ya, it sure would be cool for Kody & I agree with everything you had to say
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: Will Shunk
3/18/19, 5:19 PM   #29
Ntfsprint5w

Kody is also an extremely humble guy and easy to talk with. He's grateful for everything he has. I hope that he some time would get a shot at running at least the handful of Indy Lights ovals. It would take some success in those events to (in the eyes of IndyCar and IndyCar owners) legitimize him as someone that could run the 500 or do something similar to what Ed Carpenter has done the last few seasons and just run the ovals. I really hope someone would give him that kind of opportunity.

3 members like this post: jdull99, superstock30, Will Shunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kody Swanson the best