mr g

White Flag

5 members like this post: davidm, dirt330, Eatin Dirt, tim brown, wildman92
9/24/18, 3:20 PM   #52
Re: Ballou vs Stewart
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I always thought Ballou's comments were meant to try to improve racing or the racing surface. However at times Im in disagreement as to how he seen it. I was never out there driving on it like he was. So that is what it is.

LIke I said this time, Eldora was it's old self, By the sprint and Champ main it was on the wall with nary a cushion at all and a times drivers bouncing the right rear off it. Vogler would say that I run on the wall because it hurts much less when you hit it.

Tracks are always on the bad end of either fans or racers or both. This show went to 1am without much down time at all. If it was me, I would have ripped the top 15ft and lightly watered after hot laps. ANyone else willing stay till 2-230?

Im with others in saying without it being a multi day show, It's too many classes for one night. Hold a All Stars and USAC sprint show on sunday and ditch the All Stars on Sat Get this show done by 11pm with time for a little track work.

Oh well, Im a net jockey, been around it for decades even worked on several cars. But Sat Night was Classic Eldora. After I griped about the past two years, Last year being a dust bowl and the year before going to 3am
This was classic ride the rim and even three wide. It never was better than that.

2 members like this post: Kydehart, mc/rider
9/24/18, 4:02 PM   #53
CRA91

Robert should be thankful that the track was dry slick, when he got into the back straight away wall and his car spun to the left he was lucky there was no traction and was able to spin around.

Back in the day when the track was good and fast that same spin whould've resulted in him flipping his arse off and surely more damage to his car and possibley himself. Seen it happen many times there.

I'm saying this from the perspective of a crew chief for many years and have enjoyed the greatest of high's of winning there and the lows of watching someone I admired take one bad crash that chould've been very serious,but thankfully wasn't. The cars ran right on the wall just like they were at the 4 Crown. And i sure don't recall anyone complaining then. I guess if you don't like the way something is done at a certain track you don't go race there.
Last edited by CRA91; 9/24/18 at 4:05 PM. Reason: sp

1 member likes this post: flatout
9/24/18, 4:51 PM   #54
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

The racing was excellent all evening with the Silver Crown feature the best of the lot. Dust was not that bad and was virtually nonexistent until he Winged cars had made their appearance.
The Winged cars are compelling to watch with their blistering speed, but the side by side racing is better with the wingless cars.
Left the track a little after midnight and was able to make use of my expensive motel room in Greenville for a few hours. I further contributed to the Greenville economy at the car wash near the motel. Great wash job for eight bucks and an attendant even towel dried the car at the finale!
I noticed the Four Crown is a week later next year. That will help as we always miss a great grandsons birthday party every year. The parents wouldn’t listen to my request to alter his birth certificate! 😁

9/24/18, 4:57 PM   #55
7horse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYATK94 View Post
It’s fair to say Smoke could be attentive to what racers say, but in this instance you’re suggesting he pay attention to what a single racer says, not the plural form. From what I’ve been seeing Ballou has been alone in his negative feedback. Even Bayston, the individual who suffered a terrifying crash, commented that it was some of the most fun he’d had in a midget and had no qualms with the surface.

Ballou is an excellent racer, and I’ve tried to be a fan of his, but he makes it incredibly difficult to do so, in my opinion. It’s one thing to attempt to talk to the right people about fixing a track surface, it’s another to go out on twitter and bash tracks continually. Maybe he’s tried talking to folks involved with track prep before and they didn’t listen, but if that’s the case I still don’t agree with his response.

He’ll also do things like broadcast his financial woes if beaten. He made some childish remark after Courtney beat him at Terre Haute this year about Sunshine’s car being much quicker than his.

He’s a fantastic racer, and I’d agree he’s one of the greats. Seems to be good with young fans. Just struggle to get behind him with actions like this. I’ve seen him go at people who come at him online by implying they’re just being internet tough guys behind the screen, and so these twitter rants and rages he goes on must require a great amount of hypocrisy and a lack of self awareness.

Hope guys like Sunshine just keep going out on whatever track they get and winning. And if they do have any issues with the track handling them like an adult. Wonder what reasons Ballou will offer when KTJ, Windom, and Courtney blow by him on the USAC win list.
Hmmm which one of those drivers own their own car? Oh nevermind they just show up walk around trying to promote Nos Energy drink jump in the car and drive it and let everyone else do all the work on it and they are in a different car every year
Last edited by 7horse; 9/24/18 at 5:01 PM.

3 members like this post: ISF, jim goerge, progressive22
9/24/18, 5:07 PM   #56
brady

Ktj owns all his equipment and is just flying Hoffman colors for sponsorship. Oh and he works on it as well. Last time I checked nos didn’t sponsor him either.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, interpreter66, Kydehart
9/24/18, 5:29 PM   #57
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7horse View Post
Hmmm which one of those drivers own their own car? Oh nevermind they just show up walk around trying to promote Nos Energy drink jump in the car and drive it and let everyone else do all the work on it and they are in a different car every year
Yep, and some drivers have owned every car they have ever driven, bought every tire for those cars, bought every part that has been torn up by some kid with more money than brains, and bit their tongue in public. Sour grapes are sour grapes, no matter the back story, and they never make the speaker look good.

2 members like this post: 2HWrench, EZ04
9/24/18, 5:32 PM   #58
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7horse View Post
You must not know how much effort Sunshine put in to helping out the Clausons before he was a driver. Tim has spoken glowingly about his work ethic that earned him a chance behind the wheel. Now he’s taking advantage of a wonderful opportunity and piling up wins. Wonder why Ballou doesn’t get a shot in the cars with big name sponsors on the side? Surely owners and sponsors are fans of his public twitter actions.

Though credit is due for the recent post on Twitter he made to apologize.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Kydehart, rapid robert, ROSS
9/24/18, 5:59 PM   #59
trannyman

If the track was like it was for the truck race,I can see the frustration.The track for the trucks is hard,smooth,slick.It was such a disappointment when seen that for the first time.Question would be,if the goal and "perfect"track is hard,smooth,and slick...why not just go pavement and be done with it?

2 members like this post: jim goerge, tamati
9/24/18, 6:01 PM   #60
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage Faraday View Post
Exactly. From my perspective, at home on the couch in Georgia watching high lights on youtube the racing looked good, but the lack of or nearness of the cushion to the wall seemed treacherous and I wasn't surprised when it grabbed a few guys. But since I wasn't there racing I can't say if the track was good or not. My argument would be that Smoke would be wise to try and be more attentive to what racers say, even if he doesn't agree with them, without posting on social media not to ever come back. To say the track could not have been better just isn't true. Did it look pretty good? Yes. But what would it hurt to be more diplomatic instead insulted and knee jerky with his response.
For years I have seen people complain about Eldora about no one running high anymore, then we get it and one person complains, and that is considered the gospel by some. Jack Hewitt always said the closer you run to the wall, the less it hurts when you hit it.
Robert has run good at Eldora before when it was dry, and when it was rough. I think his later comments paint a better picture of who he is. I have been to every 4 crown, except the first one, and can honestly say that is the best track I have ever seen there. Robert is the only person who I have seen or spoken to who said anything negative about the track.
As for Tony's comments, Pretty tame compared to what Earl would have said or done. After facing more scrutiny than any other track, they really nailed it. Then get criticized and told the are going to kill somebody in what I am sure has been a tough time for everyone after the death of Greg Hodnett. I really can't blame him for being upset. I have done a little track prep, and I can honestly say I don't know how they could have done anything better.

Maybe the real lesson here is to stay off twitter until you think about what you want to say. I think of a couple of people other than Robert or Tony could also learn that lesson. 3 big races this week, so I am looking forward to Kokomo, Gas City and Lawrenceburg.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ballou vs Stewart