IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Two thoughts for the Fourth
7/4/18, 10:30 AM   #1
Two thoughts for the Fourth
david mitchell
Banned

1.Can we move Plymouth’s grandstand to Gas City.Bigger crowds,a Sprintweek date,dates for all major series,and assure continued survival.2.An All Star Sprintweek in Indiana in the Fall.Choose five tracks.We can then see Kyle,Tony,Kasey, and Christopher in Sprint cars again.God ,what a money maker it would be.🇺🇸🏁

3 members like this post: mc/rider, motorhead748, PIT CART
7/4/18, 10:39 AM   #2
Re: Two thoughts for the Fourth
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by david mitchell View Post
1.Can we move Plymouth’s grandstand to Gas City.Bigger crowds,a Sprintweek date,dates for all major series,and assure continued survival.2.An All Star Sprintweek in Indiana in the Fall.Choose five tracks.We can then see Kyle,Tony,Kasey, and Christopher in Sprint cars again.God ,what a money maker it would be.🇺🇸🏁
I like question # 2; but what 5 tracks would be scheduled? Obviously 2 good choices would be Kokomo and Tri-State. I could see that idea turning into something like Ohio Sprint Week or PA Sprint Week. Run no more then 2 or 3 classes max each night.

2 members like this post: EBookerFan, motorhead748
7/4/18, 11:36 AM   #3
david mitchell
Banned

I would select Gas City,Kokomo,TerreHaute,Tri State,and Putnamville.Five nights.In September when its cooler.Ohio SW is giant.PA SW is giant.One here would be a natural.

7/4/18, 12:36 PM   #4
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Quote:
I would select Gas City,Kokomo,TerreHaute,Tri State,and Putnamville.Five nights.In September when its cooler.Ohio SW is giant.PA SW is giant.One here would be a natural.
I think you would have a hard time getting something like that going. Too many big traditional 410 races already in place in the fall. Port Royal has the All-Stars locked up in early September for the Tuscarora 50. Selinsgrove Speedway has their National Open the following week and then you've got the 4 Crowns at Eldora on the next weekend. The WoO typically is out on the west coast in early September for the Gold Cup before coming back to the Grove for the Nation Open.

I don't think it's a bad idea, just need to find a slot where it could work.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge
7/4/18, 12:45 PM   #5
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
I think you would have a hard time getting something like that going. Too many big traditional 410 races already in place in the fall. Port Royal has the All-Stars locked up in early September for the Tuscarora 50. Selinsgrove Speedway has their National Open the following week and then you've got the 4 Crowns at Eldora on the next weekend. The WoO typically is out on the west coast in early September for the Gold Cup before coming back to the Grove for the Nation Open.

I don't think it's a bad idea, just need to find a slot where it could work.
Mid October would be a good time. One last week of races for the year for fans and race teams.

3 members like this post: 5JMOFFATTFAN!, PIT CART, usac99
7/4/18, 2:50 PM   #6
hoosier race fan

Tough to do it in the fall because people have used their vacation time during their summer when kids are out of school. Once school starts, people tend to direct their racing and entertainment budget to school activities. Summer is the best time to do it if you want a true speedweek. It could be done during summer with some careful scheduling. Personally though, I think it would be cool to just have a 3 race weekend. Do it the first weekend of October. Bloomington Friday, Lawrenceburg Saturday and revive the “Hoosier Fall Classic” name, and Kokomo Sunday. If it goes well, expand it to 2 weekends, and they don’t even have to be back to back. Gas City, Plymouth, Kokomo one weekend, followed by Bloomington, Lawrenceburg, Tri-State the second weekend.

Proceed to slam that idea and point out all the ways it wouldn’t work.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin
7/4/18, 3:49 PM   #7
BrentTFunk

Quote:
1.Can we move Plymouth’s grandstand to Gas City.Bigger crowds,a Sprintweek date,dates for all major series,and assure continued survival.2.An All Star Sprintweek in Indiana in the Fall.Choose five tracks.We can then see Kyle,Tony,Kasey, and Christopher in Sprint cars again.God ,what a money maker it would be.������
I am sure the people who bought and built the grandstand at Plymouth would be more than happy to go to the trouble and expense of removing them and giving them to someone else. I think Hoosier race fan is right that it would be almost impossible to do once school starts. Summer break is really short these days, so that really reduces the window for something like that. A couple of weekends is a good idea, even if one was in the spring and one was in the fall.

I am sure some would disagree with me on this. I don't really mind the Gas City grandstand. They are steep and even the top row is close enough to the track that mud flies over your head when it is wet. In fact, my favorite views from Indiana grandstands in alphabetical order are Gas City, Haubstadt backstretch, Kokomo frontstretch, and honorable mention to the covered stand at Terre Haute.

4 members like this post: fish, jim goerge, opnwhlmnd, PIT CART
7/4/18, 4:16 PM   #8
dsc1600

IF the idea is to get the Nascar guys to race sprints in Indiana, the fall is not a good time for it as the chase is going on and they won’t be able to race sprints then.

June or late August is probably the times it would work.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jdull99
7/4/18, 4:31 PM   #9
quicktime3

I remember how that two-day ASCoC show at Kokomo went, as well as the fall WoO show at Bloomington and the fall weeknight WoO show at Terre Haute. Plus, Plymouth has a spring WoO show last year. All of them went so well that they didn’t happen again.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, opnwhlmnd
7/4/18, 8:04 PM   #10
david mitchell
Banned

Brent,I was being facetious about moving the Grandstand.If Gas City had a stand like Plymouth,however,people could actually be comfortable,they could get their SW date back,and have several other major series run there.Thus ensuring their survival.I have been to over one hundred racetracks in this Country,and by far the most uncomfortable are at Gas City.Plus their size inhibits them from hosting WOO event,Sprint cars or dlm.A Lucas oil show.An All Star show.Or apparently now a ISW show.The most wise investment that could be made at Gas City is a new and larger stand.I hope it happens.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Two thoughts for the Fourth