IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > TV Announcers
6/30/08, 10:04 AM   #1
TV Announcers
Jim Halpert

Having just watched the Richmond IRL replay, I began to wonder if anyone else found Marty Reid, Scott Goodyear, and Brianne Pedigo extemely irritating. I have always felt this way, but this telecast seemed especially annoying. Between the complete disregard for drivers that aren't on the top three teams, the constant feeling that they must produce some kind of drama that doesn't even exist, and the basic mistakes with names, numbers, stats, etc....I just find that there are so many guys and gals that would be a better fit to announce at such a high level. What happened to Bob Jenkins, Eddie Cheever, Larry Rice, and Robbie Buhl...I always enjoyed those guys. It really makes me appreciate the team of Varsha, Hobbs, and Matchett from the F1 telecasts...they compliment each other very well and present a telecast that is fun, entertaining, and mostly informative to listen to. Every team in F1 is given some airtime each race weekend, the only dramas are real and not manufactured out of stupidity, and when they make a mistake, one of the others is sure to call him out and make a fool of him...which is hilarious whenever David Hobbs is involved. Just my opinions.

6/30/08, 11:10 AM   #2
Re: TV Announcers
throb

what was with the........."Lets watch the replay" deal everytime they interviewed a driver who was involved in an incident. that was irritating to me!

6/30/08, 11:21 AM   #3
okokok

I know nothing about how the race broadcasts are put together.

but, as a viewer - I agree with you --

I think that the whole thing about tv on nascar and indycar series (I don't think it is being called IRL anymore) what you see on TV is about product placement.

I think the car cameras go into the cars that pay for the placement.

I think that the track cameras follow the cars that have paid for screen time.

It seems logical to me -- you seldom see what the entire field is doing - only specific cars/sponsors/teams.

try to watch nascar - if your favorite car is running 20-40 in the field - unless they have paid to be on TV -- you will never see coverage of the car. e.g. I like Sam Hornish,jr. - yes he is doing terrible - but - I am a big fan - he only gets coverage if he hits the wall (he does that often). There are fans of all the cars - they all need to be covered!

my opinion - the telecast is no more about what is happening on the track - it is about what cars/teams have paid for TV time.

Several times - on nascar - I have seen at the later part of the race - a car that typically get lots of screen time - is back in the pack - out of running - not being shown on TV - then about 15 minutes to go - the TV coverage goes to that car - maybe running 30th - and leave on screen for 5 minutes - when you want to see the front runners at end of race - Seems to me it's about screen time being paid for - and at the end of the race - if a car has not gotten the time they have paid for - then tv has to put them on.

it's america folks -- show me the $$$.

This is my viewpoint of tv coverage - yes - it stinks all over!!!

for the irl / nascar - you can turn tv down and listen. at least you will hear about what really is happening. I find IRL radio to be good - (has been better a few years ago).

I find the radio announcers put excitement in their voice - TV - no excitement at all!

6/30/08, 11:43 AM   #4
Z-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by okokok View Post

for the irl / nascar - you can turn tv down and listen. at least you will hear about what really is happening. I find IRL radio to be good - (has been better a few years ago).

I find the radio announcers put excitement in their voice - TV - no excitement at all!
I listen to more races then I watch, I like how they call the action from each turn. That excitement is probably due to the speed of the cars, they have to talk fast before they go to the next turn. And I don't have to listen to Daryl Cartrip.

6/30/08, 12:23 PM   #5
BuckWheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Halpert View Post
Having just watched the Richmond IRL replay, I began to wonder if anyone else found Marty Reid, Scott Goodyear, and Brianne Pedigo extemely irritating. .

I ALWAYS FIND THEM IRRITATING!
At least they did get rid of Rusty Wallace!:applaud:

I hope someday the IRL gets some really good informative descent play by play announcers!

6/30/08, 12:49 PM   #6
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

After watching auto racing on TV for many years, I decided about 5 years ago to stop watching. I was constantly irritated with the announcers that the networks employed as well as the constant commercial breaks that they took. I also quit listening to MRN radio and the constant interruption of commercials to stick in a racing update.:O:

Instead I spend my time going to short tracks and watching the action live.:thumb That also allows me to follow whatever cars and drivers that I want to. I am not at the mercy of the producers/directors of the TV networks, in hopes of seeing something other than a few "select" drivers.

So no more Mike, Darrell, Larry, Jeff, Kyle, Scott, Marty, Jack or any of the host of others that don't have a clue how to speak much less describe the action. No more Fox Sports, TNT, ESPN or ABC for me. I have found that I haven't missed anything and enjoy watching the rising stars along the way.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

6/30/08, 1:01 PM   #7
Hanna23

I always listen to the races on the radio... I have been doing that since I was a kid and before there were televised races. So now I watch the TV with the sound turned down, and the radio on. I would rather listen to Davey Hamilton and Mike King before Scott Goodyear and Marty Reid any day hands down.
If ESPN/ABC really wanted to drive up their ratings, they would bring back Bob Jenkins. He knows more about the sport than anyone, and has a GREAT personality and charisma.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > TV Announcers