IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC, no passing zone?
7/31/17, 11:56 AM   #1
USAC, no passing zone?
wingless1

Me and the wife were having a beer, talking about summer activities, as life long sprint car, midget folks we discuss things we read, here and there. We have not been to a race in 6 or 7 years, Ocala, FL is the closest track with any kind of racing we would be slightly interested in. I tell her about conversations I see here on IOW about aging crowds, young people not following the sport, etc. One of our biggest gripes is main events won from the front row, I jotted down some recent USAC sprint car results and correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I found. 05/31/17 at Perris, CA main event was Brody Roa laps 1-10, D. Gardner 11-30 -06/24/17 Perris CA main event laps 1-30 R.J. Johnson, 07/22/17 Perris, CA main event laps 1-30 R.J. Johnson. 07/28/17 Watsonville, CA Ocean Speedway main event laps 1-30 A. Liggett. 07/29/17 Kansas City, MO Lakeside Speedway main event laps 1-30 B. Bacon. 07/30/17 Moberly, MO. Randolph County Raceway main event laps 1-30 T. Courtny. 7 or so USAC sprint car main events with no passing for the main event win? I know sometimes there could be a battle for the lead and lead changes during a lap, etc. But does this have to do with USAC and how they line up cars for the feature? I hate handing over $50 or more bucks for a couple of adult admissions, and seeing little to no passing for a main event victory. Just curious.

2 members like this post: bigq11, Wayne Davis
7/31/17, 12:18 PM   #2
Re: USAC, no passing zone?
Simon_says17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless1 View Post
Me and the wife were having a beer, talking about summer activities, as life long sprint car, midget folks we discuss things we read, here and there. We have not been to a race in 6 or 7 years, Ocala, FL is the closest track with any kind of racing we would be slightly interested in. I tell her about conversations I see here on IOW about aging crowds, young people not following the sport, etc. One of our biggest gripes is main events won from the front row, I jotted down some recent USAC sprint car results and correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I found. 05/31/17 at Perris, CA main event was Brody Roa laps 1-10, D. Gardner 11-30 -06/24/17 Perris CA main event laps 1-30 R.J. Johnson, 07/22/17 Perris, CA main event laps 1-30 R.J. Johnson. 07/28/17 Watsonville, CA Ocean Speedway main event laps 1-30 A. Liggett. 07/29/17 Kansas City, MO Lakeside Speedway main event laps 1-30 B. Bacon. 07/30/17 Moberly, MO. Randolph County Raceway main event laps 1-30 T. Courtny. 7 or so USAC sprint car main events with no passing for the main event win? I know sometimes there could be a battle for the lead and lead changes during a lap, etc. But does this have to do with USAC and how they line up cars for the feature? I hate handing over $50 or more bucks for a couple of adult admissions, and seeing little to no passing for a main event victory. Just curious.
Obviously watching passes for the lead is a major draw but that's not the only reason I go to races. There are races all over the track to watch and enjoy, and many times, watching that hard charger from the rear can be the most exciting action on the whole track. By the sounds of it, you've saved your money the last 6 or 7 years so you may be able to splurge once and find out for yourself

7 members like this post: captrat, racefan20, SOROKACH35FAN, spicoli, tirespinner, TQ97, tspilly
7/31/17, 12:30 PM   #3
JarrettFarms73

i understand the observation, Mitch. But just like other sports, the box score tells maybe 1/10th of the whole story. For instance: i know during ISW a few of those races were won from the front row or a very very early lead from first 4 starting spots. What the box score can't possibly describe is TMEZ at kokomo above the cushion lap after lap, or KTjr ripping a huge treacherous lip around bloomington, passing lots of lapped cars in the process. I think the bunches of bulk laps led is happenstance myself and won't last. But to your point though, I do wonder if most tracks are being reworked right before the A main making it fast for everyone... and harder to pass. Especially if it goes caution free.

7/31/17, 12:43 PM   #4
wingless1

I realize that there is always lots of racing around the track, the last couple of shows we did go to (sadly about 3 in a row) were complete run a ways from the front row. I try to find decent race recaps to see if the race was a good shoot out, or a rout some races are well described, others not so much. I was just curious about some of those recent USAC results postings. My brother works for Colorado National Speedway north of Denver, CO. It's paved, but the owner puts a lot into social media, he hired my brother to do live updates, manage web sites, etc. The track is very successful, only runs late models, legends, figure 8's, and an occasional modified race. Most of the main events are won from the 4th row or further back, they have a good way of lining up the feature based on qualifying, and heat race and dash results. Any race can be a flop, but seems always a little more entertaining when a car claws it's way to the front in the main event, my opinion.

2 members like this post: JarrettFarms73, tirespinner
7/31/17, 1:20 PM   #5
JarrettFarms73

i think another factor to your USAC observation could be that the field tends to run very deep w/ to tier drivers and cars/teams. Getting out early and leaving everyone else to fend for themselves is a major bonus. They could just about invert the entire field most nights of ISW and there'd still be someone win from the front row or two. I'd be more worried if i were a promoter, if i only had a couple cars capable of winning.
Just saw on the news FL getting some big winds. Stay safe and hope you get a chance to get back out to a race someday.

5 members like this post: davidm, fish, flagboy55, jim goerge, tirespinner
7/31/17, 2:30 PM   #6
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I've seen races where you got two guys fighting for the lead, one leads following a slider coming out of two and one leads following a slider coming out of four. To look at the box score you'd think this on guy lead all the laps and it might be true that he did, but what's missed is the excellent fight that took place between the two. I've also seen heat races that where worth the price of admission. A lot more makes up an enjoyable night of racing than who's lead all the laps.

7/31/17, 3:20 PM   #7
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Probably unpopular opinion, but not enough laps.

On a fast track 30 laps is over VERY quick without yellows. A guy that gets a clean run from the get go, and has no major issues with traffic can stay gone. 50 lappers would open races up IMO. But then die-hards say it isn't a sprint race anymore, and teams would demand more $$ to race extra laps.

But being a late model guy from birth that loves to come and watch USAC races, longer races could really shake things up.

(Late model races being won from the front row in 60 lap features is a entirely different thread; but valid point if any of you were already thinking it. But other reasons lead to that)

7/31/17, 3:21 PM   #8
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Well it's not uncommon for any type of racing to win from the front row, But USAC inverts the tops six and if the fastest qualifier doesn't pass at least two cars in each heat to make the top four. Then he can start no better than seventh.
Many heats have winners from fifth or sixth. Also just because a first row starter won, doesn't mean they weren't challenged. If you can find the highlights of USAC Midget week from Lawrenceburg Speedway. Holly SHelton was passed and regained the lead at least 25 times in 30 laps and Rico won from tenth.

Here's highlights of last years Terre Haute and this years Bloomington, Also the USAC opener for this year

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, jim goerge
7/31/17, 4:08 PM   #9
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

I think USAC has a good format. I would like to see features be 40 laps at the short tracks and 35 at the bigger tracks like the Outlaws. But the Outlaws are racing for more money.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, jim goerge, Simon_says17
7/31/17, 4:28 PM   #10
flagboy55

I agree USAC has the best format, but like someone else posted the quality of the field is so good unless someone really hits a unique set up that gives him an advantage, it often becomes a race of who makes the least mistakes and who is ready to capitalize on them. Not sure what the box score read about last night's race at Kokomo but Max McGhee gave The Peoples Champ all he wanted in a battle for the lead until he broke. I don't know if he was ever scored leading a lap but he was close a couple times. Also, I know that the box score didn't show the hair raising thread of the needle move that Dave made to get the lead. And I know most of you don't want to hear this but the winged cars have been having some good battles lately. Check out the highlights from WOO at Wilmot this past weekend. Sorry wing haters, you might have to come up with another excuse instead of your old "no passing with wings"

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, PIT CART, spicoli
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC, no passing zone?