IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier Hundred Not being rescheduled
6/17/17, 9:38 PM   #11
flagboy55

Brent, are you saying we've seen our last race there? Say it ain't so!

6/17/17, 9:58 PM   #12
Re: Hoosier Hundred Not being rescheduled
BrentTFunk

Oh I think it may have a couple of years. All it will take is the state to tell people it will save a nickel and people will do somersaults to get it torn down. Outside of Indy the state of Indiana doesn't care if racing exists. I was shocked last year at how much the state has let the infrastructure decline.
Last edited by BrentTFunk; 6/17/17 at 10:00 PM.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
6/18/17, 1:12 AM   #13
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Long before I ever started traveling to races. I heard about this race. I twas always held in Sept and often on the same date as the Hoosier Fall Classic at Lawreneburg. Several drivers would charter a copeerter and land in the field behind the track as the HH also was a day race.

I too think it's a shame that USAC can't have a Mile dirt champ car race in their hometown. Dirt tracks will hold up in late Sept and Oct for day races. Most everything sprint etc it done till the California swing. IDK why they could schedule it for a sat afternoon with a sunday rain date and GET IT DONE.

6/18/17, 1:25 AM   #14
jdull99

Calling Mike Pence...he sure seemed to have a real respect for racing among interviews around the Indy 500 (likewise, it was nice to hear those medias respectful to the vice-President!). I'm sure he has some pull with things in the state of IN still...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: superstock30
6/18/17, 1:54 AM   #15
arctic monkey21

It wouldn't shock me at all if the state did that. In fact when it comes to saving a buck it wouldn't surprise me if they sold the state house to Amazon and the state parks to Wal Mart.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, TQ29m
6/18/17, 1:58 AM   #16
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
Calling Mike Pence...he sure seemed to have a real respect for racing among interviews around the Indy 500 (likewise, it was nice to hear those medias respectful to the vice-President!). I'm sure he has some pull with things in the state of IN still...
The only race he has heard of is the Indy 500 He probley has no idea what a dirt track race is

6/18/17, 7:39 AM   #17
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
Not blaming him, but it was his era when things were being let go. I am more optimistic with the new guy

2 members like this post: jim goerge, ronmil
6/18/17, 10:04 AM   #18
ISF

I reckon Brent has a point. The Minnesota State Fairgrounds track is gone, nothing left of The Syracuse Mile, then The Iowa State Fairgrounds track became a memory..............could The Indy Mile be next? As unlikely as it may seem it's a distinct possibility. There has been talk coming out of chitcago for a decade or more calling for the discontinuation of The Illinois State Fair and The Du Quoin State Fair due to huge projected fairgrounds repair costs ($180 million for Springfield alone) for both the fairgrounds and the fact that the 2 State Fairs lose an average of $5 million a year. Developers for years have courted the politicians and coveted the real estate on which the ISF in Springfield sets. If all that happens there goes the only remaining two dirt mile's in the country that are used for auto racing.

All that is why interest and attendance at these races is tantamount to having them continue. I cringe every year when I see how the crowds at these mile dirt races have declined in just the last decade.

Not much us race fans can do but contact our representatives and cross our fingers.
Last edited by ISF; 6/18/17 at 10:07 AM.

6/18/17, 2:43 PM   #19
TQ97

This isn't on USAC.....As someone who dealt with the fairgrounds directly from 2012-2014 in regards to the Mini Indy quarter midget track, I felt that they became less and less accommodating every year. I think it was needing the $ after the concert tragedy and lawsuits, but everything from costs, to parking accommodations, and ease of scheduling became more difficult. The truth is the fairgrounds doesn't need the silver crown race, the race track, nor the quarter midget club. All of those are well down the lists of profitability and thus importance for the fairgrounds.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, interpreter66, tirespinner
6/18/17, 4:10 PM   #20
Speedwrench

ISF - You beat me to Syracuse as an example. Also Oklahoma City and I think I remember seeing something about Hutchinson, Kansas going away also.

1 member likes this post: ISF
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier Hundred Not being rescheduled