IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D2 Midgets and Wings?
2/26/17, 12:31 PM   #21
Re: D2 Midgets and Wings?
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
The Big Zuk was in the discussions the first rules meetings and would have made a very competitive engine for the class even if it had to pull 200 pounds more weight. Point being that motor with a good car and driver could give the National Midgets a run for the money, and is be a lot cheaper to race. The D2 rules chose to promote a motor no longer in production forcing racers to rebuild (Expensive) high mileage motors thus raising the cost of racing. Now at Montpelier the Zuke is legal a much better idea in my way of thinking.
DAD, you know how it pains me to agree with you, but I'm like you, when this class was being formulated, it led me to believe it was going to be as you described, a sort of "stock appearing" class of engines allowed, no National engine stuff, just something you could build yourself, without spending a boatload on a National level MOPAR, or whatever, now it's turned into a "Jasper rebuilt" class, and here I set, with about $1500.00-$2000.00 in a good, low buck engine, 4 valve, twin cam, popup pistons, Crane cams, Carrillo type rods, w ARP bolts, a bit of head work, and Hilborn Injection, not unlike what is used on the SpeedSTR engine, now I got no where to run it, I've seen the so called D2 cars run, not bad, but not what I'd prefer, I guess it is, what it is, and I'll get over it, unlike some, but I just feel it "coulda been" a step up, instead af a lateral move, for the money involved in building HP, with stock specs, it's like blue printing a 5hp Briggs, up to 12-18hp, it really gets expensive, just doesn't align for me. (and I ain't whining, and it ain't a Colt engine either) but it's reliable, and AM parts are cheap as stock parts. Bob

1 member likes this post: jdull99
2/26/17, 12:58 PM   #22
Crankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
DAD, you know how it pains me to agree with you, but I'm like you, when this class was being formulated, it led me to believe it was going to be as you described, a sort of "stock appearing" class of engines allowed, no National engine stuff, just something you could build yourself, without spending a boatload on a National level MOPAR, or whatever, now it's turned into a "Jasper rebuilt" class, and here I set, with about $1500.00-$2000.00 in a good, low buck engine, 4 valve, twin cam, popup pistons, Crane cams, Carrillo type rods, w ARP bolts, a bit of head work, and Hilborn Injection, not unlike what is used on the SpeedSTR engine, now I got no where to run it, I've seen the so called D2 cars run, not bad, but not what I'd prefer, I guess it is, what it is, and I'll get over it, unlike some, but I just feel it "coulda been" a step up, instead af a lateral move, for the money involved in building HP, with stock specs, it's like blue printing a 5hp Briggs, up to 12-18hp, it really gets expensive, just doesn't align for me. (and I ain't whining, and it ain't a Colt engine either) but it's reliable, and AM parts are cheap as stock parts. Bob
Ahhhh, there's ole whoa is me Bob, back again on another D2 thread to spew his B.S. on a subject that he just loves to say is all wrong, bought some old P.O.S. one off something or other before any rules had been written down, then blames rules makers for not including his one off, and even if they did include it, he would find some other reason to hate, and never actually take his car out of the garage.

So again, to anyone new here that maybe interested in D2 Midget racing, please pay no attention to this guy (and most of the time DAD too). For some reason, if a D2 post comes up, he always has to jump in with garbage that is completely out of touch with the reality of what D2 racing is. He is just a guy who likes to tell people that he is a race car owner/driver/or whatever to sound all important. When in reality he is just a wanna be trying to get attention. And I will continue to be his reality check.

Now for anyone who wants the truth about D2 racing, feel free to contact me, or one of the Ray's on 2.4 Midget racing in Sun Prarie land. Thank you
Last edited by Crankin; 2/26/17 at 1:00 PM.

3 members like this post: fish, trannyman, xoxide
2/26/17, 3:00 PM   #23
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
Ahhhh, there's ole whoa is me Bob, back again on another D2 thread to spew his B.S. on a subject that he just loves to say is all wrong, bought some old P.O.S. one off something or other before any rules had been written down, then blames rules makers for not including his one off, and even if they did include it, he would find some other reason to hate, and never actually take his car out of the garage.

So again, to anyone new here that maybe interested in D2 Midget racing, please pay no attention to this guy (and most of the time DAD too). For some reason, if a D2 post comes up, he always has to jump in with garbage that is completely out of touch with the reality of what D2 racing is. He is just a guy who likes to tell people that he is a race car owner/driver/or whatever to sound all important. When in reality he is just a wanna be trying to get attention. And I will continue to be his reality check.

Now for anyone who wants the truth about D2 racing, feel free to contact me, or one of the Ray's on 2.4 Midget racing in Sun Prarie land. Thank you
Finally, someone with all the answers and the truth, wow!

2 members like this post: fish, xoxide
2/26/17, 3:20 PM   #24
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Hey Bob

If you do not agree with some type of people it is best to keep your trap shut>>just as they keep their minds shut. They after all are the only people that count, they have all the answers and you should get in line.

The racers up at Montpelier would be glad for you and your car to race with them I bet. Their rules seem to be working pretty good. So good in fact that D2 Sanctioning bodies are asking if they can run with them even if there are cars in the race that do not meet strict D2 rules. Then there is the pesky fact that that them darned MC cars seem to slip in and win way too many races with virtually stock motors right off the bike. Like TQ's they seemed to have put their faith in engines that are no longer in production like the TQ's did with the Crosley or 750 Honda. What does that do to the cost of racing? There are motors coming out right now that could and would race well with the high priced D2 tuner motors and MC motors. Some might be a bit too big and some might be a bit too small to meet their rules. I would like to see a younger person try one of these motors up a Montpelier, where they do still lookout for the back yard racer.

2/26/17, 3:47 PM   #25
Crankin

Quote:

The racers up at Montpelier would be glad for you and your car to race with them I bet. Their rules seem to be working pretty good. So good in fact that D2 Sanctioning bodies are asking if they can run with them even if there are cars in the race that do not meet strict D2 rules. Then there is the pesky fact that that them darned MC cars seem to slip in and win way too many races with virtually stock motors right off the bike.
WHAT??? Just another example of who's out of touch with reality.
You guys should have your own message board... Then you can feel even more important while continually doing absolutely nothing to contribute to the sport except spew negative comments about everything D2. You can continue to send out all that expertise all the while not actually racing in a division (or any division for that matter) you so clearly do not understand in the slightest.

We can call your new message board A.T.N.A. : All Talk (mostly negative) No Action
Last edited by Crankin; 2/26/17 at 3:52 PM.

2/26/17, 4:05 PM   #26
Backitin

If powered by arrogance I know for sure who would have the fastest car.

1 member likes this post: xoxide
2/26/17, 4:28 PM   #27
Crankin

It's called knowledge pal, not arrogance. Arrogance would be more related to your post.
And sense arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand, you can be the third member of their new message board.

It's been the same people spreading their negative bile every chance they get when someone mentions D2, and I'm over it. Sorry I'm not pc. Sorry I'm not sitting here being quiet about it. I'm done with these same people tearing down something with absolutely no reason, and no dog in the fight.
Am I passionate about D2? Yup. And it's almost like the same bullies picking on my little sister over and over again. And there reasons for doing so are just not in any basis of reality.

As mentioned, D2 is strong in Illinois, with slower growth in Indiana. And people who look to this message board when researching a possible move to D2 end up having to read these same guys spewing there same old out of touch negatives about it.
I'm not the shell answer man, but i want to make sure that anyone that might be interested in this form of racing, does not pay attention to these same over and over again whiners with some out of touch agenda.

2/26/17, 5:21 PM   #28
RickyBobby

sad to see senior citizens getting harassed on an internet board, not helping D2's reputation any
Andrew Funk #8
Last edited by RickyBobby; 2/26/17 at 8:08 PM.

2/26/17, 5:32 PM   #29
Crankin

And just what makes it's reputation bad? Could it be people like this constantly bashing it and spreading the disease??
I mean if the sponsor (Leaders Edge) of the Montpelier Midget Series has a new D2 Midget for this year, how bad can it be??

Here is something you said on 7/8/15, and this speaks volumes as to why D2 is as strong as it has been in just it's first year, and will only get bigger.
You said: "National midgets should be allowed to compete (with D2) (maybe with a spec RR tire or something). The national midgets make up 95% of the midget population already, so they would help car counts shoot through the roof. It's working great for Montpelier..."

Now I'm not trying to bury you on something you said a year and a half ago, but there seems to be this misnomer about Montpelier and their big Midget success.
This past year, their average car count was 20.75 (21). Their highest being 24, and the lowest was 15 (twice). Now that's an ok average, but it's not the stellar count that everyone seems to carry on about? AND... And this is a BIG AND... If it wasn't for the 20.75 car count average being filled out by half, and sometimes more than half, by D2 cars, there most likely wouldn't be a Montpelier Midget division this coming year. (Be sure to read that part again DAD)

And FYI, I am a card carrying AARP member myself.
Last edited by Crankin; 2/26/17 at 6:02 PM.

2/26/17, 5:34 PM   #30
trannyman

Quote:
Hey Bob

If you do not agree with some type of people it is best to keep your trap shut>>just as they keep their minds shut. They after all are the only people that count, they have all the answers and you should get in line.

The racers up at Montpelier would be glad for you and your car to race with them I bet. Their rules seem to be working pretty good. So good in fact that D2 Sanctioning bodies are asking if they can run with them even if there are cars in the race that do not meet strict D2 rules. Then there is the pesky fact that that them darned MC cars seem to slip in and win way too many races with virtually stock motors right off the bike. Like TQ's they seemed to have put their faith in engines that are no longer in production like the TQ's did with the Crosley or 750 Honda. What does that do to the cost of racing? There are motors coming out right now that could and would race well with the high priced D2 tuner motors and MC motors. Some might be a bit too big and some might be a bit too small to meet their rules. I would like to see a younger person try one of these motors up a Montpelier, where they do still lookout for the back yard racer.
Not sure your connection with tqs,but apparently not very close.yes,they've been using the Honda 750 for several years.it was still pretty affordable to run.they've allowed these newer,high rpm engines,you speak of,to run and guess what....it ran the cost up and now more cars will be parked or sold off!the cost to convert to the "new engine"is enough that a guy can buy a higher level class car and race something different and faster.so is it for the good of the participants,or a select few.if these series keep driving the costs up,then car counts will continue to drop.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D2 Midgets and Wings?