IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Largest D-2 midget race in the world
2/11/17, 11:56 PM   #21
Chris Baue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Oh I can do the work, I have my own machine shop, I'm sayin this class should be the entry level class, with better parts allowed for the engine, cams, pistons, rods, dry sump, fuel-injection, you can do this and still keep costs under 10k, if you can do something yourself, that's where the fun and enjoyment come in, and if that doesn't wind your watch, mortgage the farm, and go for it, I'd love to run a midget, with a "stock appearing" engine, but not one that if I wash it or chg the oil in it after pulling it out of the junkyard, it is not legal, doesn't really appeal to me. We went thru all this about a year ago, the answers never did come forth. Bob
Bob, I believe the focus engine is legal to do all of those upgrades as well as porting and polishing. I could be mistaken but The cams are the only parts on your list of things you'd like to change that would be illegal for any of the other approved engines. It really is a entry level midget class.

2/12/17, 3:49 AM   #22
Re: Largest D-2 midget race in the world
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

And now back to the original post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8UuQ5_j5IM

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

4 members like this post: fish, interpreter66, KENDALLRACING, Sprint47
2/12/17, 9:46 AM   #23
TQ29m

Chris, contrary to what Richard H. has posted, I still believe this would be a good place to start, either with an absolutely bone stock engine, or one that is "stock appearing", the way I read the rules that Wayne has posted, all you can do is freshen one up, everything has to be as it left the factory, flat top pistons, stock cams, valves, no sign of port work, leave a finger print inside, and you're out, I've ran these "stock" classes, and built lots of engines for them, and it's a lot cheaper to allow after market parts, and it's a lot easier to tech, no gray areas that require a day in court to decide! Bob

2/12/17, 11:08 AM   #24
TQ29m

I'm a long way from the Badgers, but have ran at Madison before it became a big box store, and I believe dousman, we used to make that trip at least two times a year, that was a long time before the internet and forums! I like the way BMRA rules read, we need that kind of thinking in Indiana! Bob

2/12/17, 12:03 PM   #25
Colin25

My son ran last year with Wayne and his crew last year for Johnny Murdock "Zero Motorsports". Johnny and crew picked up a motor from a junk yard on the way down, installed it that day at the track and ran practice that night. The following night led 90% of the feature and had a straightaway lead before a late caution cost him the win, but there wasn't a thing done to that motor internally. You can like any series dump tons of money if you want but I have seen on several occasions where they have held their own on with a less expensive engine. Johnny or Wayne can be extremely helpful if you truly interested in building or buying a D-2 midget. Give either one a call they both can be every helpful if you need something. If you ever have a chance to go down and run in February it's better than being up here in the cold.

Congratulations Wayne on putting up a great payout!!!

Good luck to all Zero Motorsports cars that might be there!!!!!

3 members like this post: interpreter66, Sprint47, trannyman
2/12/17, 12:16 PM   #26
Crankin

There it is Bob, all clearly explained, AGAIN, by a few people.
So what's your excuse going to be now?

2/12/17, 2:20 PM   #27
Chris Baue

[QUOTE=TQ29m;467716]Chris, contrary to what Richard H. has posted, I still believe this would be a good place to start, either with an absolutely bone stock engine, or one that is "stock appearing", the way I read the rules that Wayne has posted, all you can do is freshen one up, everything has to be as it left the factory, flat top pistons, stock cams, valves, no sign of port work, leave a finger print inside, and you're out, I've ran these "stock" classes, and built lots of engines for them, and it's a lot cheaper to allow after market parts, and it's a lot easier to tech, no gray areas that require a day in court to decide! Bob.

Bob, seems like you're way over thinking things or just have a negative attitude about the whole deal for some reason. It's pretty simple really. If you choose the focus engine you can do anything you want to do it at all. if you want to build up any of the other engines on the list beyond what is legal for all d2 rules except badger, you can. At that point You'll be legal to run with any of the national groups. I'm surprised you're not on board with the d2 rules as they are because you're Yamaha tq engine is essentially the same deal! Mostly all stock internally with few bolt on items to make it run like dry dump pan/pump set up, mechanical injection, ignition etc. that's right up your alley Bob!! Finding complete turn key d2 race cars for under 10k is very common. I know because I did it and plan on supporting various d2 midget races as well as the national midgets. If you're really interested get ahold of me and we can go through some things!

2/12/17, 3:27 PM   #28
TQ29m

No Chris, I understand your point, it's just that things have changed so much from it's inception, till the past year, I ran the Yamaha just to see what it would do, and was surprised it did what it does, most of the time, but that's just in the cards, I guess I could build a focus, but, I have a lot of parts for an engine that was on the OK list to begin with, so all I can do with it, is go through with the build, and hope to sell it to someone to run on the street. Bob

2/12/17, 3:52 PM   #29
Crankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
No Chris, I understand your point, it's just that things have changed so much from it's inception, till the past year, I ran the Yamaha just to see what it would do, and was surprised it did what it does, most of the time, but that's just in the cards, I guess I could build a focus, but, I have a lot of parts for an engine that was on the OK list to begin with, so all I can do with it, is go through with the build, and hope to sell it to someone to run on the street. Bob
That's the ticket Bob, just go away... And stay off any D2 posts with your negative dribble while your gone.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Largest D-2 midget race in the world