IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hamilton brothers both aiming for victory in Fort Wayne
12/29/16, 9:17 PM   #1
Hamilton brothers both aiming for victory in Fort Wayne
Task Force

Hamilton brothers both aiming for victory in Fort Wayne Rumble
By Zach Tasker

Winters racing reunion once again converges in Northeast Indiana this weekend as the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum will host the 19th annual Rumble in Fort Wayne. The 1/6 mile concrete oval has always been a favorite for Kyle and Nick Hamilton. The 2nd generation racers have had many years of success at the Rumble, but have never been able to park it in victory lane.

For Kyle Hamilton, this year sees an opportunity to drive for a motor racing legend. The “king of midgets” Mel Kenyon, will field Kyle this year in his #6 Printing Image/Curtis Motor Sales Kenyon/Yamaha “I'm really looking forward to working with the Kenyon brothers this year at the Rumble. As a kid, Mel was always my favorite driver. Our family would watch him at Fort Wayne and the Speedrome. I always picked Mel to win. As the years progressed and I started racing Kenyon midgets, I got to learn some of Mel's techniques as well as Don's set up advice. I'm excited to finally have the opportunity to drive one of their personal cars this year. I'm excited because this is a never before seen Kenyon chassis with some modifications as well as a trick Hank Scott Racing Yamaha engine.”

The “Professor” had a diverse year of racing this season. The top highlight was a 3rd straight top 5 finish in the Little 500 at Anderson Speedway, picking up a 4th place finish in the world's most prestigious pavement sprint car race. He then had an opportunity to put a few NEMA Lites events on his resume, finishing 2nd position in one race in the northeast. “I think we will be competitive. To me, it will be like a great college basketball matchup. We won't have the size and power of a Duke or North Carolina, but we'll have the fundamentals to run up front like a Butler or Creighton. This year was really interesting for me. I started off the year with a win in a Kenyon car and then rejoined forces with Bob East and Terry Klatt for the Little 500. We found ourselves right back up front at the end of the night with a 4th place finish. I'm looking forward to working with them in the future. Mid summer I got the call to come run a few races for Frank Manafort and the Seymour's on the east coast and that was a huge step in broadening my horizons as a racer. I finally got to drive a car with a wing as well as in a completely new series. I can't wait to get back out there in 2017. We have some things in the works. But right now, the object is Ft. Wayne. I know the Kenyon brothers will bring me a strong ride so that all I have to do is drive. We've come close with a 2nd to Tony Stewart but haven't been able to pull it off. I'm ready to try again this year.”

Much like his older brother, young racer Nick Hamilton is anxious to get back in the saddle indoors. “Nick Nick Boom” will be driving for veteran Illinois-based car owner TJ Domark. “I'm looking forward to working with TJ just because he worked with Kyle (in STARS competition) and they had fast success together and I’m anxious to see how we can work together. I know we talked about it a little bit when we were over in Illinois so I’m anxious to see how we vibe.”

The Danville, Indiana native has had a breakthrough year in 2016 winning multiple USSA UAW Mel Kenyon Midget Series feature events in 2016 at the Indianapolis Speedrome, Anderson Speedway, and the Sportsdrome Speedway. The driver of the #32 Curtis Motor Sales/Advanced Racing Suspensions Spike/Esslinger is looking forward to using that momentum to getting his first Rumble feature victory. “There is definitely nothing bad about seat time, I think it is going to help me just be aware of the car and everything but obviously jumping from a Kenyon midget to a National Midget is going to be a different power but I’ve done it before. I’ve raced national midgets a lot more than I’ve raced Kenyon midgets and I drove a sprint car recently too so I think I’m ready to go. I’m more mature now going into Fort Wayne."

The 19th annual Rumble in Fort Wayne will include two complete days of racing on Friday, December 30 and Saturday, December 31. Both days will provide practice, qualifying, heat races, b mains and features for the National Midgets as well as Winged Micro Sprints, Non Wing Micro Sprints, Karts and Quarter Midgets. For ticket information visit www.Rumbleseries.com.
Attached Images
KYLE RUMBLE 2016.jpg (127.9 KB, 81 views)
NICK RUMBLE 2016.jpg (16.6 KB, 78 views)

4 members like this post: davidm, EBookerFan, MIracing, sp33dy
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hamilton brothers both aiming for victory in Fort Wayne