IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac/boss/nonwing
9/15/16, 2:38 AM   #21
Re: Usac/boss/nonwing
Stephen Cording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Jackson View Post
I would love to see a BOSS Ohio Speedweek. Attica, Fremont, Lima, Millstream, The Field, Atomic, and Eldora.
Now that would be worth the flight over.

9/15/16, 3:35 AM   #22
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Whats the BOSS format? Are the engines the same as USAC?
The format starts with four heats up to thirty two cars. at 40 it goes to five heats at 48, six heats.

The engine rule is open in BOSS.

9/15/16, 7:03 AM   #23
brady

Absolutely no comparison between boss and usac. Yeah boss has big car counts but 85 of those cars would struggle to make a usac show. As long as there is 15 cars at a usac show I can promise you that you will see much better racing because if you want to see the best traditional sprint cars you go to usac races.

9/15/16, 7:08 AM   #24
1021gpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
Absolutely no comparison between boss and usac. Yeah boss has big car counts but 85 of those cars would struggle to make a usac show. As long as there is 15 cars at a usac show I can promise you that you will see much better racing because if you want to see the best traditional sprint cars you go to usac races.
I have seen just as good or better races at local or other series races than I have at usac shows at times

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, dshort36, fishnman, PJ Wright
9/15/16, 8:52 AM   #25
Charles Nungester

Quote:
absolutely no comparison between boss and usac. Yeah boss has big car counts but 85 of those cars would struggle to make a usac show. As long as there is 15 cars at a usac show i can promise you that you will see much better racing because if you want to see the best traditional sprint cars you go to usac races.

9/15/16, 9:07 AM   #26
RynoK1999

Quote:
40% of those cars may not be able to make a bigger USAC show, but those drivers sure as hell could. There's a lot talent that runs with BOSS week in and out. God knows if they ran at Kokomo it would just be the best thing since sliced bread, right?

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, PJ Wright
9/15/16, 9:39 AM   #27
quicktime3

I mean, nothing is stopping them from running at Kokomo, and it would make them better. I think the only driver in BOSS' top-five to make a USAC feature this year was Westerfeld. It takes better competition dropping in to keep him from dominating BOSS.
I'm sure level of competition and format is a big attraction to BOSS. Little guys like a group that isn't intimidating & a format that will put them up front sometimes. The straight draw does that. Tyler Courtney showed up Sunday in the 5, started 8th in his heat and won before being stuck back to 9th for the feature. He was so much faster, he was still able to win. I'm sure a team like that coming in to "cherry-pick" is not what anyone with BOSS is hoping for.
It's a great series & fits a particular niche perfectly. Sprint Car racing is better in the region because of it.
Last edited by quicktime3; 9/15/16 at 9:40 AM.

3 members like this post: captrat, Charles Nungester, FishBurger
9/15/16, 9:54 AM   #28
Charles Nungester

So I've seen more passing and more passes for the lead in the last two BOSS races Atomic and Millstream than Passes made at the Entire field of the Miss USA gets in a year. And the racings not as good? sorry, ROFLMAO, You must be kidding.

Like the last poster said, Many of them cars wouldn't qualify within a second of top USAC teams but they're racers through and through and can run up front at USAC features if they make the field. People like Dickie Gaines, Dallas Hewitt, Kyle Simon, Matt Westfall, Mike Miller, Justin Owen, Fischesser and the list goes on and on. Give them a fair racing shot to make the show and they'll sometimes MAKE THE SHOW. Dustin Smith on the Large tracks is just scary fast

It's two different ball games but neither dictate how good the racing is, THE RACERS DO THAT and the huge difference is, You can buy out a team or put something together for under 30k and run and sometimes run up front if your a good racer with BOSS. 30K wouldn't buy the engine of a USAC top car. You can run used tires or other brands that cost less in BOSS vs a over thousand dollar tire bill a night in USAC. You can even choose a tire that isn't going to blow out after 8 laps on a abrassive track

Your 15 car format of best of the best is TWO HEATS AND A FEATURE. Sorry, not driving 160 miles and paying $25 for that vs a local or BOSS with three or four or even five and six heats at $12-16 bucks. I've seen two BOSS shows that had Super Late Models on the ticket as well. Portsmouth was one hell of a overall show at $12 dollars with 27 sprints, 19LM's 40 Mods and 25 bombers. Atomic had all that plus three more classes which I thought was a little too much

Let me ask you this, How many Rookies run for USAC? How many wingers take the wing off for it? Yeah, It's the best of the best and I love that. But the field five years from now needs a supply for it to even exist.

USAC has single car qualifying Which I love and a great Insurance policy, BOSS has a lot of racing which I also love, but as far as which I'd choose to attend, The answer's easy. The one that's closer The actual racing is done' on the track by Racers and I've seen AS GOOD at BOTH.

2 members like this post: davidm, RynoK1999
9/15/16, 10:12 AM   #29
quicktime3

You get a little carried away. Some of the names you brought up are accomplished veterans that sometimes race with BOSS. But they're not regulars. And some names you mentioned aren't even close yet.
The equipment and format excuses are blown way out of proportion and are weak. Pat on the back to Dustin Smith for taking on other challenges this year and having good runs. I laugh when you make it seem as though you need a WoO-level team to compete in USAC and smaller teams just can't qualify. Please. Step up your game. Westerfeld even has a fast time in USAC.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/15/16, 10:16 AM   #30
Charles Nungester

Also, Either USAC left Ohio/PA or the tracks left USAC (Save Eldora) for the past 20 years, Until Waynesfield and now BOSS there weren't even drivers coming from the region into USAC. Well there's proof, There's plenty of cars and racers that can and want to run NW. How does USAC get the best of the best? By as many tracks and cars running NW as possible. Meanwhile while five IN tracks are battling for saturday night NW shows often having USAC or MSCS if not both and all the tracks struggling for a full field. There are 35 NW sprint cars running at Mercer PA or PPMS, Or Atomic, Or Wayne County, or Fremont or Attica

ITS A GOOD THING for NW sprint racing and when enough interest is shown, Some of the tracks may pull the trigger and request a USAC date. IMHO it can only help USAC as sometimes they race some of the same tracks three, four or five times.

As far as Westerfeld, he's still learning but I only seen him win two of the Boss shows I've seen this year. Porsmouth and Burg, both with good cushions to lean on, He's won three times at Burg this year, But just one was Boss.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 9/15/16 at 10:28 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac/boss/nonwing