IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why the relationship is so intense
8/12/16, 12:23 PM   #1
Why the relationship is so intense
david mitchell
Banned

Over the past few days I have given thought as to why we as race fans have such an intense relationship with drivers.I have long held the belief it is because professional race car drivers have attributes that we as fans do not have.The sacrifice, focus, the ability to deal with adversity, and the courage are all traits these guys have.We respect and admire these traits.A good analogy is when you have a good friend or decide to enter into marriage with someone.Usually, these people have qualities that you do not have. It is that which makes the relationship so intense.You wish you had these qualities.That is what makes the relationship between fans and Drivers so passionate.When the person is someone like Bryan who was such an incredible person it is even more intense and Unfortuanately hurts even more when this occurs. BC forever

8/12/16, 12:37 PM   #2
JarrettFarms73

I've posted this a few times around social media but I think it fits. Brad Daugherty talking about Dan Weldon said "as a basketball player, it's what I did. As a driver it's who you are!... and that's what makes these drivers special."

I think the key ingredients here, from the fans perspective, is the respect and adoration for the talent these drivers have. Even when someone is not one of your favorites, or you don't even naturally root for, there is still an awe factor.

I think the parallels between BC and Dan Weldon are numerous: they were the face and the future of the sport, friends everywhere, tremendous with the fans, and unbelievably talented. For me personally, like with Dan, several days later tears are still falling. #BCforever
Last edited by JarrettFarms73; 8/12/16 at 1:02 PM.

8/12/16, 12:46 PM   #3
Re: Why the relationship is so intense
david mitchell
Banned

Exactly.Very well said and conveys the true essence of the relationship.BCDW forever.

8/12/16, 1:25 PM   #4
cleatziff

IMHO the relationship comes from access. You cant go to an NFL game and walk around in the locker room before or after games. You cant walk up to any other pro athletes right before a game and shake their hand, buy their t shirt and meet their family. We are able to get to know our drivers on a more personal basis. Because of this we start to care for them like family and celebrate with them when they win and mourn them deeply when the worst happens. Because to us they are family.

8/12/16, 1:33 PM   #5
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatziff View Post
IMHO the relationship comes from access. You cant go to an NFL game and walk around in the locker room before or after games. You cant walk up to any other pro athletes right before a game and shake their hand, buy their t shirt and meet their family. We are able to get to know our drivers on a more personal basis. Because of this we start to care for them like family and celebrate with them when they win and mourn them deeply when the worst happens. Because to us they are family.
Excellent point!!

8/12/16, 1:38 PM   #6
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

We are family! It's like minded people who share a strong passion. There's a work ethic and honesty to this sport and its people that draw us in and keep us. It's why we hurt so bad when one of us falls and why we get such a thrill out of the wins and good things that come from our sport far, far more than the bad.

2 members like this post: aka Liz, Jesse B
8/12/16, 2:19 PM   #7
david mitchell
Banned

Everyone has excellent points.Even though we disagree on this forum all the time ,those are things that are trivial and fun to opine about.When something tragic occurs we all without fail come together and support each other and the families affected.

8/12/16, 3:27 PM   #8
midnightrider

David, I hope to see you at Kokomo on August 24th for the celebration of life for BC. I know how much you respected him and how much it had to hurt when you got the news.

8/12/16, 4:30 PM   #9
mlamb

I think the access people have to their driver/hero's is a real big factor. I also think when people see say Dave Darland win a race enjoying a cold one with fans in the pits afterwards, they can relate to that and see Dave as much like themselves. I've always said Ive seen really good racing over the years, but the friendships with car owners drivers & crew has been even better yet.
The people whom occupy pit area's at local dirt tracks are for the most part exceptionally high character people.
If your just going to see the races that's
great! But if you'll take the time to go to the pits talk with teams maybe ask a few questions almost all will gladly oblige. After all they realize without you there wouldn't be a race. And you very likely may be making a lifelong friendship.

8/12/16, 6:27 PM   #10
chathamracefan

One other point I would add, is it requires a level of dedication to be a participant in this sport either as a driver or as an involved fan. Since it isn't a "mainstream" sport, even the fans have to seek out information and sometimes spend long car rides going to and from the track. We are in it because we love it. And that doesn't begin to speak for the level of dedication it takes to put a car on the track on a weekly basis be it a local show or a national level driver.

1 member likes this post: JarrettFarms73
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why the relationship is so intense