IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Blanket Policy
7/11/16, 3:46 PM   #21
Blacki-Suede

Back in the "Dark Ages" when I was involved in promoting the 'Burg' I don't remember anyone coming in and reserving seats prior to a race. While I was not in charge of ticket sales, I do believe we did not open the gates until a few hours before hot laps. I guess with that policy reserving seats was not an issue that was even on the table.

1 member likes this post: fish
7/11/16, 4:19 PM   #22
Re: Blanket Policy
FEATHERDUSTER

This should be the policy for all tracks: Nobody covers a seat till the gates open, you stand in line buy a ticket then go inside and cover your seat if you wish.
This idea of covering seats at the beginning of the year or on the first day of a multiple day event in not right.
If tracks want out of state business then make it fair for all those that travel great distances.
My hat goes off to the O'Conner family for enforcing this policy.

7/11/16, 4:51 PM   #23
jim goerge

I think marking seats the day of a event is fine but after a event track should take up any blanks left behind. The way GC used to be with locals marking seats at first show of the season. and never showing up for the big shows just wasn't right those blankets should been taken up after every show. As for this year that was just plain wrong , If they didn"t want people marking seat then the gates should have been LOCKED with a sign explaining when you could save your seats. As for what David said about guys saveing seat for their coolers that's just wrong, and someone in charge should been told about that. I sit with the Morgans more often than not and they mark the seats the day of the show and only for people they know are coming (if 6 people say they are coming then 6 seats are saved) and before the feature is ran that blanket is taken up .

1 member likes this post: davidm
7/11/16, 5:00 PM   #24
chop

I would go with nothing in the stands for each night till the gates open. Also the track needs some type of staff member to be walking around the stands as the night goes on to deal with some of the stuff that happens. Even if it is just the person selling 50/50 tickets. Been awhile, but the last time I was at Kokomo, (just a regular show). I stood in line at the gate, paid,when up, put a blanket down and sat down. About 10 minutes later a guy shows up and tells me that I am in his spot. I asked if it was a reserved seat. Nope, I was just in his spot. Well he got to try out a new spot that night.

In the street rod world,at car shows you have the same type of deals. Guys save parking spots. Take up a lot of spots with lawn chairs. Then you never see a car parked in the spot. So I am thinking along with the saving a spot in the stands all year, I will take up a few parking spots close to the gate all year too.

3 members like this post: fish, jleme154, PIT CART
7/11/16, 5:12 PM   #25
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastaj View Post
Let me vent for a moment. I'm at Lawrenceburg and looking at at least 20 seats that have blankets down right in the middle of the grand stands. Qualifications are over and heat races getting ready to begin, and NO ONE has showed up to set there. Gas City is getting crucified for removing blankets, but its people like this that really ruin things. If your going to reserve seats at least have the decency to come and set in them and watch the action. I have seen several elderly people struggle to get up the stairs only to have to turn around because a blanket is down. Tracks need to quit allowing this
So what are we supposed to do if we are in the pits as a car owner or part of the crew? We put blankets down and use them accordingly.

Jerry #66j

5 members like this post: fish, FishBurger, Indy1808, jim goerge, tirespinner
7/11/16, 5:16 PM   #26
Jerry Spencer

):
Last edited by Jerry Spencer; 7/11/16 at 5:24 PM.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/11/16, 5:25 PM   #27
Jerry Spencer

The blanket police they live inside of my head, moving them may not go well.

Jerry

5 members like this post: fish, FishBurger, Indy1808, ThrowbackRacingTeam, tirespinner
7/11/16, 9:03 PM   #28
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Jackson View Post
The fair is over, every one knows the blanket game & how to play it.some times you loose some times you win. It's been this way for 20+ years
Fair runs from the 10th to the 16th

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/11/16, 9:12 PM   #29
ByronMack

Seems to be a real problem at the burg, my dad and I showed up for the Dick Gaines memorial a few years ago, we got there just as heat races were starting. There was about 3 rows taped off with caution tape and we figured since heat races were starting and nobody was sitting there, we would sit there. Wasn't there long until a deputy sheriff came and told us we had to move. Nobody ever did show up and use those seats. I said something on here about it and Dave said he had to take care of his weekly fans, needless to say, he lost a couple of possible weekly fans that night, haven't been back since.

2 members like this post: crew chief, jim goerge
7/11/16, 10:46 PM   #30
Wingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronMack View Post
Seems to be a real problem at the burg, my dad and I showed up for the Dick Gaines memorial a few years ago, we got there just as heat races were starting. There was about 3 rows taped off with caution tape and we figured since heat races were starting and nobody was sitting there, we would sit there. Wasn't there long until a deputy sheriff came and told us we had to move. Nobody ever did show up and use those seats. I said something on here about it and Dave said he had to take care of his weekly fans, needless to say, he lost a couple of possible weekly fans that night, haven't been back since.
Had the same experience with the caution tape at Lawrenceburg. Taped off about 3 rows and 3 people sat in that area all night. The reason they gave you was pretty lame.

I go back to my point reserved seating period. Even if it is just for special shows. Lawrenceburg has reserved seating for the WOO show and they do a great job with it. It may be an administrative nightmare but you may not loose some of your customer base. I think Habstadt has a great set-up as well.

2 members like this post: Blackduce, jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Blanket Policy