IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > POWRi D-2 purse posted
4/18/16, 2:56 PM   #31
Re: POWRi D-2 purse posted
Backitin

Micro's are real big here on the east coast. 50-75 micros at the track isnt uncommon.
Minisprints like mine are almost gone. Used to be a lot of wrecked 1000cc bikes. Way more wrecked 600's now days.
If I wanted to run fairly local I would have zero choice of which open wheel car we would run. It would have to be a micro. I don't agree with the 600 cars not being a good stepping stone for for D-2 midgets or whatever. They will teach you car setup and good racing skills (both more important then money in the long run). They put on great racing on the right track and they can be economical.
I actually think they would be a perfect car to have on the D-2 program. Dad can run a D-2 car and for a few grand more you can have the kids race on the same card. There is also quite a few young female drivers showing there talent in them.

4/18/16, 3:17 PM   #32
micro23

My point was I don't see the D2 midget as a step up from a Micro. Thinks its a great class, just not a step up.
Last edited by micro23; 4/18/16 at 3:20 PM.

1 member likes this post: DAD
4/18/16, 6:55 PM   #33
DAD

Micro

I started out in Quarter Midgets 60 some odd years ago. On a 1/20 mile track Quarter Midgets are still the fastest thing out (as seen this last winter when they raced Midgets indoors on a Quarter Midget track) they are now getting down close to a 5 second lap. On a 1/5 or smaller track the sidewinder holds that same distinction, they just can't be beat including Out Law Karts.

When track size increases the bigger tires, wheelbase, and extra Horsepower starts to take over. A few years ago they tried out 1000cc sidewinders on the East Coast. They just did not work out too well Kind of like over kill.

I think stepping stone would not be a good way to describe the transition between sidewinder and D2 Midget or even a full Midget, it is just another step in your racing life. However when the track size starts getting past 1/4 mile it is a good time to think about getting into something else. From what I have read a D2 type car managed to finish in the top 5 up at Montpelier this last weekend, not too shabby.

They had one USAC car and 5 or 6 guys with D2 type cars that I guess chose not to come up with the membership fee. Keep in mind Montpelier is close to a 3/8th mile track.

If you are having fun more power to you>>>that is a lot better reason for racing than the one of making a lot of money doing it. My observation was that there are alternate ways to race that might be as much fun, a little less expensive and that don't offer you a 2 in 5 chance of racing for the BIG MONEY. Racing B mains and watching A mains from the stands just ain't much fun when it is your hobby.

Honest Dad himself

4/18/16, 7:46 PM   #34
Backitin

I kinda agree stepping stone isn't the right term.
For me it would be more wanting to move up to something that is more full size car like.
Its pretty simple, if your lucky you can afford to race something you really want, and have a place to race it. Or if you just gotta race and cant afford your dream ride you find something else to race. Most little guys don't care much about the purse because basically they all suck in the little leagues when you compare to your money commitment. Financially your going to bleed money everywhere. Theres only one winners share and most guys will never see it.

4/18/16, 7:52 PM   #35
trecraft

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 14

They rent the cars out for $10 a night and you just show up with your helmet and suit.

4/19/16, 12:06 PM   #36
bobby01

D2 is a good stepping stone it's also a great place to come back to for whatever reason like for the people that can't afford a national cars or us old guys that just want to have fun that have been there done it and have the T-shirt to prove it.
Bobby Layne
Last edited by bobby01; 4/19/16 at 12:07 PM.

2 members like this post: DAD, Wayne Davis
4/19/16, 12:18 PM   #37
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby01 View Post
D2 is a good stepping stone it's also a great place to come back to for whatever reason like for the people that can't afford a national cars or us old guys that just want to have fun that have been there done it and have the T-shirt to prove it.
Bobby Layne
Bobby

When a guy gets older it is also a whole lot easier to swap a couple of gears in the Quick Change than to lay on their back and fight with a chain for what sometimes feels like hours. That in itself is a selling point for D2's. After almost 30 years in Mini Sprints changing sprockets and chain sets is not my most favorite thing to do. And I have developed things to speed it up.

Honest Dad himself

4/19/16, 12:30 PM   #38
bobby01

Dad
My D2 is chain drive the reason for that is Carla and I can do this by are self don't need a 4 wheeler and can you imagine her trying to push me on a four wheeler.
If everything goes well we plan on being in your neck of the woods a couple of times this season

2 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, DAD
4/19/16, 12:46 PM   #39
DAD

Bobby

Keep me posted. You know a real racer is a racer whether it be shopping carts or 410 Sprint cars or anything in between. Not too many of you guys left. Montpelier has that Johnny Heydenreich kid racing up there with them simply because D2's are affordable and he still like to race. He too has been there and done that also. So D2's can be a stepping up point or a landing pad for racers both young and a maybe little older.

They make clutches for the Ecotec's. If you knew of a good Machinist you could probably get together with Mr Hench and change your car over to a Henchcraft D2. Probably not as fast as a Mini, but they will get faster with development. You don't pay much attention to chains until you hit the road.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 4/19/16 at 12:49 PM.

4/21/16, 1:34 PM   #40
micro23

DAD, are you going to make it to Macon?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > POWRi D-2 purse posted