IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > POWRi D-2 purse posted
4/12/16, 2:38 PM   #21
TQ29m

Chris, I ran karts from 1958, to 1991, got lots of trophies, and once I won every thing they had, a qt of Steen C, 5 gal of gas, a cake with the track record on it and a little trophy with a pencil sharpener in the base, and that's as close to any money I won in a go kart, now, Tq's were quite different, man could make a dollar or two there! Bob

4/12/16, 4:57 PM   #22
Re: POWRi D-2 purse posted
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

you guys remember this is a start up series in Illinois and it is way easier to add to the purse then take it away....AGAIN....give it a chance to work out...I'm sure it will....remember how the "CHILI BOWL" was 25 years ago

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

2 members like this post: DAD, Quantrill
4/12/16, 5:31 PM   #23
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
I wouldn't get what The MLMS series is trying to accomplish confused with a series that might be more there to hone D-1 talent.
If you race for fun I don't know how many more options you can get then with the series Tinder is starting.
I cant help but wonder if having the word midget in the title of the series hurts more than helps.
Racers Race, was my dads favorite sayin.
MLMS is Jay Tinder's series (Jay is Avon Open Wheel Fan); I think what he's trying to do is provide a place where just about anyone with a Midget-like car (short of a full-on National Esslinger, Mopar, or TRD) can compete; it's like Montpelier lite, which has done really well operating on a "Y'all come" format. Some people (not very many, based on the constistently mixed turnout) don't like running against the big motors; personally I think it makes us better racers to have some faster cars to chase, but I've never been accused of being normal. Thing is, if your ego doesn't need to be stoked with trips to victory lane the generous purse takes some of the sting out. It stands to reason that these fledgling series will take a while to get established, maybe generate some sponsorship interest and bigger car counts, and crank up the payouts. Give 'em time to succeed before you banish them to
the trash heap.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

5 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, Backitin, DAD, TQ29m, Wayne Davis
4/12/16, 9:40 PM   #24
Daddyz

I sure hope everyone is right and this thing takes off. I'm just not convinced they'll ever be a car count to match the current enthusiasm. As much as sitting on the sidelines another season is worse than getting a tooth pulled (I dread even opening up Facebook anymore and looking at everyone's build pictures and race results-) I'm kinda glad I get to sit by and watch how this first D2 season unfolds.

4/13/16, 7:09 AM   #25
Quantrill

Last season ILSS ran non winged D-2 format at Lincoln speedway and had 20 cars each night. With Poweri and USAC now backing D2 I am expecting 20 plus cars a show. In a budget entry level class car count is more important than pay IMO. Not saying pay isnt nice but not sure $300 to win will detract from car count. Plus it is nice to see the full payout schedule. Then I can decide if its worth it to me based on expected cc and or pay.
Last edited by Quantrill; 4/13/16 at 7:26 AM.

2 members like this post: jjones752, Wayne Davis
4/18/16, 2:00 PM   #26
micro23

I hope the D2 series does well. Its a good thing for midget racing. I don't see Micro's as a stepping stone to D2 midget racing. The competition in Micros in the Midwest is second to non!! Also, we race for good money everywhere we race!!

1 member likes this post: DAD
4/18/16, 2:16 PM   #27
DAD

Micro

Have you ever raced a Midget size car either 1000cc Mini Sprint or Midget?
If not you should try one out some day. Granted the sidewinders put on exceptional racing on the small tracks that aren't too rough. The bigger cars have from what I have been told an entirely different feel to them neither good or bad. AND if these guys get it right the Midget size car might be cheaper to race. Now I guess you guys have to watch out for the Out Law Karts.

Honest Dad himself

4/18/16, 2:36 PM   #28
micro23

Kyle and Rico really helped the outlaw karts out!!! We have ran a Midget before. Driver loves it but I'm not spending the money for a national midget. Its hard to switch classes when you have everything you need. With the micro we race for 700 to win every Friday and Saturday. Last Friday 52 cars. Micros are still hot!!!!

4/18/16, 2:46 PM   #29
DAD

Micro

Only 20 cars are racing for that $700.00 how about the other 30 or so cars. The number sounds good but they don't even need a front gate for their purse. Sometimes I like to compare Racing with Bingo. How much are you paying for your motors or motors if you race more than one class?? Sounds like you are probably somewhere near Johnny Murdock. Might try one of his rentals for a night, probably be less than what you are spending a night racing Micro's and it is an arrive and drive deal.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 4/18/16 at 2:48 PM.

4/18/16, 2:53 PM   #30
micro23

We run 1 class outlaw most of the time. Sometime we run outlaw nonwing but not often. Rather not say what we pay for motors.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > POWRi D-2 purse posted