IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D2 POWRI purse
4/3/16, 12:50 AM   #1
D2 POWRI purse
Shreffler21

Have they posted a purse for the d2/ Illini "affordable midget racing " yet?

1 member likes this post: jdull99
4/3/16, 1:36 AM   #2
Re: D2 POWRI purse
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Our D-2 Carolina Spring Fling race Apr. 23rd is as follows:

$500
$350
$300
$250
$225
$200 through the field

1 pit pass per car and working on $50.00 gas cards per tow vehicle

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

3 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, Larson16, wlesher
4/8/16, 9:51 AM   #3
Shreffler21

Does anyone know what the purse will be ?

3 members like this post: Kellen Conover, SAC74, TheSheriff
4/8/16, 4:56 PM   #4
Avon Open Wheel fan

The Midwest Lightning Midget Series will have our purses posted prior to each race but it will depend on what we can work out with each promoter We have some races that will pay 100 to start and 500 to win if we get at least 15 cars. Most of our races will pay at least 60 to start and 300 to win.

Our first race is coming up this next Saturday April the 16th at US 24 Speedway.

You can always find out the purse on our web site. http://www.midwestmidgetseries.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Midwest-Lig...homepage_panel

www.illinimidgets.com
Last edited by Avon Open Wheel fan; 4/8/16 at 9:09 PM.

4/9/16, 8:25 AM   #5
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon Open Wheel fan View Post
The Midwest Lightning Midget Series will have our purses posted prior to each race but it will depend on what we can work out with each promoter We have some races that will pay 100 to start and 500 to win if we get at least 15 cars. Most of our races will pay at least 60 to start and 300 to win.

Our first race is coming up this next Saturday April the 16th at US 24 Speedway.

You can always find out the purse on our web site. http://www.midwestmidgetseries.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Midwest-Lig...homepage_panel
Hope you guys tear it up next weekend.
I like the engine rule's. My 1340cc air/oil cooled engine would be legal.
The other thing I like is that you can run meth or gas. One less cost of having to convert to one or the other.
I was never big on worrying about purse money, more the initial cost of getting started and what it costs to race.
Good luck on your series.

2 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, DAD
4/9/16, 9:04 AM   #6
SAC74

I doubt you will ever see the purse for this series posted. I don't think you will ever find out what their tech inspection procedure will be either. I had thought about buying a midget and having an engine built to race part time in the POWRi D2 series and the USAC/IMRA series, but I quickly learned how political both of these groups are. I have attended many national midget races as a fan over the last few years, and heard so many people complain about the lack of tech. I started to wonder, if they don't check engines in their series that pays thousands to win, how much tech will they do in a series that pays hundreds to win? If they can't check engines that are only limited to cubic inches, how are they going to check engines for stock crankshafts, stock pistons, stock piston pins, and stock cams? Do either of these groups have anyone on their staff who has all the specs and the tools and the knowledge to inspect all the automotive and motorcycle engines?

5 members like this post: DAD, DonMoore10, Jim Gardner, SmithRacing11, TheSheriff
4/9/16, 10:15 AM   #7
Backitin

The way I look at it that's kinda the point of the series that Mr. Tinder is having, not going crazy on engine rules.
Show up with what you got and have some fun.
Its a little like the run what you brung from back in the day.
I understand worrying about engine rules, but I don't believe TECH is the main point in a series like Tinders.
I believe the point here is to get some cars out of garages and onto the track.
Then if the series takes off maybe you can have two classes within the D-2 moniker, class A and Class B.
Win two class B mains and move up to class A or whatever.
My point is (and I'm talking about Mr. Tinders series not midgets in general) who cares, if anybody really wanted to race they'd have a car and take it from there.

2 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, DAD
4/9/16, 10:49 AM   #8
DAD

SAC

Go on out and find a car. Either buy a competitive Mini Sprint (as fast of faster on the small tracks) or convert a Midget roller over. The little independent guys like Johnny Murdock, Jay Tender and Wayne Davis are probably ahead of the curve as far as tec and being out front with the racer. Purses are not going to be too large starting out. If you are racing for money stay away from National Midgets, D2 Midgets and for that fact Mini Sprints. If you are going to be racing as a hobby and for fun, then for many racers, (not all racers) the thing to consider is how to race with out selling the farm or spending the kids lunch money. If you want to race National Midgets better have two or three farms and a big time sponsor or two on board. In the past Mini Sprints have been the alternative race car of choice. We have raced them for 20+ years, however the economy and competition for the popular motors and the design of the newest and fastest motors is going to cause the price of motors to rise for the Mini Sprints.

That leaves us with the D2 Midgets. While not as fast as the Mini Sprint in most cases the cost of the initial motor expenditure is usually less than a $1000.00 with most hovering around 3 to 5 Hundred dollars. The good thing about motors from wreck vehicles is they tend to get better each year (competition between manufactures). Unfortunately the National groups have ruled out the newer motors with the displacement limits.

An old engine builders saying is that Horsepower is in the cylinder head. This is very true and is the reason D2 motors perform so well even in their stock condition. Because of the 4 valve design they perform equally well from Idle to WOT and require a very mild camshaft to accomplish this task.

The national guys have chosen to allow after market rods, camshafts, valves and valve springs I believe. As long as they prohibit porting and larger valves most of these changes will not add much more power but let the racer brag a little bit about how tec his motor is as compared to his fellow racer. Keep the ports STOCK).

Now as far as tec:

Testing for rods and crankshafts>>>Drill and tap a 1/2" FPT hole in the crankcase in front of any rod. Insert a 12AN fitting and cap into that hole. Remove the cap and insert a bore scope and if you want to be hi-tec stick a magnet in there also, visual inspection should tell you all you need to know.

Testing bore>>>these little engines can not be pumped like push rod motors because you would have to disable the cam shafts and that would cause costly piston to valve contact on the other cylinders. However the spark plugs for the most part are all located directly in the center of the combustion chamber. They make a gauge to put in the cylinder through the plug hole to measure bore with.

Stroke is even simpler just stick a 12" vainer from Harbor Freight in the spark plug hole and take a direct reading.

Compression ratio>>>usually a bore scope will detect raised piston crowns and or aftermarket pistons. If the camshafts were kept stock then a compression gauge could also be used.

Camshafts>>>The best and easiest way to check camshafts would be to just measure gross lift. You would install two 3/8 x 1" bolts that had been drilled through the center of the bolt. Attach these directly over the intake and exhaust camshaft lobes using a O ring and standard nut. Make a fixture to hold a dial gauge and take your readings. When done the bolt could be covered with an acorn nut to keep dirt out.

Porting>>>We use a bore gauge again. Open the throttle body insert the bore gauge. Stock ports are cast and not ground or polished. Grinding and polishing is easy but getting that cast finish back is nearly impossible.

The D2 concept is new and is going to take a little time to get up to speed, it needs guys wanting to get into Midget racing to get involved to get it up and running. Once they prove their ability to put on a good show the purse will get larger>>>it is all about competition and supply and demand.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 4/9/16 at 10:56 AM.

1 member likes this post: DaGuy
4/9/16, 11:51 AM   #9
Backitin

Tell you what I've never been one for spec cars but the more I look into the STR cars the better they look.
It's a perfect D-2 platform.
The purse is higher then for the bigblock mods also. A car that costs at least $ 50,000.00 running for 1200 to win compared to a $ 18,000.00 car running for 1700 to win. The Speedway Entertainment website has a lot of info, including a cost to run chart comparing Modifieds, midgets, sprints and more with the STR car. Also resale values which are interesting.
Then you can have both worlds, spec car to start. open class for the big boys.
I'm old and tired and don't want to screw around with engines constantly, from what I've been hearing the STR's are practically bullet proof.
Were heading down to tobias to check one out this week.

1 member likes this post: DAD
4/9/16, 12:06 PM   #10
DAD

Bob

If you race with them you are already racing with the big boys. They probably win a lot of races but then again they have a lot of experience and could do that in anybody's car. A bit of a pull for the Mid West Racer but if it is a good concept it might just move west don't you think?

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 4/9/16 at 12:07 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D2 POWRI purse