IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IndyCars at St. Petersburg
3/15/16, 7:52 PM   #1
IndyCars at St. Petersburg
Stevensville Mike

Lost in all of the forum discussion amongst bleacher sales, social media, clones, and halos......

.... the 2016 IndyCar season kicked off this past weekend in St. Petersburg. Not much discussion on here about it.

I personally thought it was great! Not so much on-track action and passing, for it is primarily a street course, but the pit strategy, red/black tire strategy, the lack of wadding up half the field in Turn 1 on starts and restarts, and a nice time slot prior to the NASCAR Phoenix race, all in all I enjoyed it.

We have a couple of weeks off and we head back to Phoenix, where they should have always been to begin with.

So, things are looking good, the action will shift from street course to oval, and we'll see what shakes out.

Don't let social media get in your way of having a good time.

3/15/16, 9:07 PM   #2
Re: IndyCars at St. Petersburg
Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Lost in all of the forum discussion amongst bleacher sales, social media, clones, and halos......

.... the 2016 IndyCar season kicked off this past weekend in St. Petersburg. Not much discussion on here about it.

I personally thought it was great! Not so much on-track action and passing, for it is primarily a street course, but the pit strategy, red/black tire strategy, the lack of wadding up half the field in Turn 1 on starts and restarts, and a nice time slot prior to the NASCAR Phoenix race, all in all I enjoyed it.

We have a couple of weeks off and we head back to Phoenix, where they should have always been to begin with.

So, things are looking good, the action will shift from street course to oval, and we'll see what shakes out.

Don't let social media get in your way of having a good time.
I missed it but caught some highlights. I like that street circuit. I have gone from hating street races(years ago) to really enjoying them!

2 members like this post: jdull99, speed bump
3/15/16, 9:31 PM   #3
TQ29m

I ran a lot of kinky race tracks in karts, all over the USA, as well as dirt and pavement, even had some dirt course kinks at Columbus, had a blast at all of them, however, the road course at raceway park, and Daytona were a bit more than needed, too easy to lose concentration, not good at warp speed, the street racing was not something to think was even remotely safe, but maybe that's why it's so much fun! Bob

1 member likes this post: turn4
3/15/16, 9:32 PM   #4
Quantrill

I watched most of it and thought it was a very good. What I especially like was the free streaming coverage of practice, qualifying and support races.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, PIT CART
3/15/16, 9:57 PM   #5
duel

I watched most of it and thought it was a yawner. I didn't even know it was last weekend till I was told by a friend Friday. no coverage on tv except for the race. This indycar series is being terribly promoted. Hunter Ray said last year people he knew relatives or friends that lived close to Fontana didn't see or hear an ad for that race. Great race, no people, more whining by some drivers. Some drivers liked it. I don't mind the slow courses but where is the promotion of the series?

3/15/16, 10:09 PM   #6
chop

Indy cars race at a track in May. the race last Sunday was a PetersburgCars race

3/16/16, 10:51 AM   #7
EBookerFan

I attended the race with seat in the first turn bleachers. Thought it was entertaining race with view of front straight, turn one, exit from pits and big screen for the rest of the course. The Lights were housed in the same area of the bleachers with the winning team right behind the bleachers. Also got to watch the post race inspections, very interesting. For a street race it was a B.

3/16/16, 1:36 PM   #8
dirtball

It's racing, but I like ovals!

3/16/16, 1:40 PM   #9
Blackduce

Still trying to figure out how you could have 1/3 of the cars stopped and blocking the race track. All going 60 mph.

Lynn

3/16/16, 1:53 PM   #10
tspilly

They are like a sprint car or midget in the fact they have no on board starter

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IndyCars at St. Petersburg