IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprint throttle travel
2/21/16, 10:13 PM   #1
Lightning Sprint throttle travel
kendirt

Setting up the throttle in my car...

How much travel do guys normally run on a non-wing 1000cc car?

2/21/16, 11:18 PM   #2
Re: Lightning Sprint throttle travel
Jim Gardner

Mine probably has an inch, inch and a half. Whatever angular travel is in the throttle body. Some guys run a bell crank or throttle jockey. But most are just running the cable straight from the pedal to the injection.

2/21/16, 11:51 PM   #3
cws9

I run a bell crank on mine.

2/22/16, 6:06 AM   #4
wobbler

The longer the pedal travel you have the easier it is to control throttle position when full throttle isn't required.

1 member likes this post: DAD
2/22/16, 10:52 AM   #5
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbler View Post
The longer the pedal travel you have the easier it is to control throttle position when full throttle isn't required.
That is also the reason they invented "heal risers". Some guys could get by with just a kill switch however the better ones use throttle modulation to get a grip and out accelerate the hot shoes with the big money motors.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: DirtHawk92
2/22/16, 12:27 PM   #6
DAD

Ken

I would say use the bell crank and riser you would be surprised how much it will improve anyone's driving. Any body that caters to Midgets and Mini Sprints should be able to get you one>>>Hoosier Speed or Foz would be my suggestion. While you are down in there all crumpled over working on the accelerator peddle you might also want to pay attention to the brake peddle also. Many drivers also use it as a foot rest and as that spring is very light they also drag the brakes all the time (Another form of traction control when performed by an expert) but an anchor when used unknowingly. Check your rotor temps as soon as you leave the track, normally we don't use a lot of brake with these cars and it should be pretty cool. I have been known to put a bungy strap around the peddle and seat support to add a little more resistance for a driver just starting out.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 2/22/16 at 12:30 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprint throttle travel