IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > WoO - No Heat Inversions
2/16/16, 7:11 PM   #11
Re: WoO - No Heat Inversions
Sprint63122

They should run the sprint bandit format every night or the winter heat format no need for time trails.

3 members like this post: JDFAST, mlamb, oppweld
2/16/16, 7:58 PM   #12
mlamb

Wonder what WoO will do now for the Knoxville Nationals? Always used to COMPLETELY INVERT the heat races on Wed & Thur. The fast guys used to always cry about it.....yet they always most usually found their way to the front. Best racing of the week IMO were the heat races on Wed & Thur. nights because of the invert.

2/16/16, 10:03 PM   #13
slick01

Race Count This Year: 31
Race Count Last Year: 48

Knoxville Nationals runs its own format

1 member likes this post: flatout
2/17/16, 2:00 AM   #14
Blitzman

Knoxville nationals inverts 8 in the heats. Used to be 10..

2/17/16, 4:56 PM   #15
JDFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint63122 View Post
They should run the sprint bandit format every night or the winter heat format no need for time trails.
I forgot this format. I think it is the same or similiar to an ascs non wing race I saw at Lakeside.

No qualifying, two set of heat races for everyone, and than the mains.

Loved it for several reasons.

For a socal fan not used to the summer heat and humidity of the midwest, I like the idea of starting the nights racing later, sure both the fans, teams, and workers like this idea

Also, I never knew this until someone told me, qualifying on a track, wears it out quicker than racing on it. 40 to 60 cars running the same spot on a track, can change it quickly, where as 8 guys running high, low and middle wear it out less.

Also, I would rather see 8 guys racing heats, than 8 guys taking qual times, plus seeing 40 guys timing in, is not as exciting as seeing 4 heat races IMHO.

I do like qualifying for big races, but for the cra races out west (with low (er) car counts, seeing 3 meaningless heat races (unless u racing for points) and one main is hard to stomach for the cost of a Perris monthly sprint car race, gas and traffic suck in CA, parking, tickets and concessions are expensive at PAS. If CRA and PAS had the above format, i would attend more races, Instead I head north to tulare and watch 410 KOW races paired with 360 USAC races for the same ticket price or less, free parking and u can bring in anything u want into the track. At PAS, not sure u can even bring a bottle of water in.

I understand USAC has tradition, and many fans love their format. I'm just not one of those fans anymore, and go to more sprint car races that have formats I like better, like Tulare and the weekly show at Ventura. But I will go to PAS for season opener, especially with Clausen and Darland in the house, just hope they qualify good

cheers - no matter your opinion on this subject, support your local short track and don't take it for granted.

checked out some woo results, I would say starting the heat races with no inverts, no good for fans. Wished out west, they went back to the CRA format, where qualifying good and passing car is important. Not sure why organizations are using formats that do not promote passing
Last edited by JDFAST; 2/18/16 at 4:02 AM.

1 member likes this post: SWScaleChassis
2/18/16, 12:46 PM   #16
staggerman

I think Johnny Gibson's post on Hoseheads outlines the situation the best. See below

As the announcer for the World of Oultaws Craftsman Sprint Car Series, I obviously have a stake in this discussion, but I'm posting here as a race fan first. I LOVE the format--in fact, I've been trying to convince the series officials to run this format for years, and it has nothing to do with benefiting "our" teams, but actually trying to improve the heat races.

In the "old" format (3 heat program), a driver could be quick time, LOSE two positions in his heat, and still start on the pole of the dash. And a driver who timed 24th could start 8th in his heat, pass 6 cars, finish second, and still start 24th in the A-main. With the new format, the quick time driver has to at least hold his position to start on the pole of the initial dash line-up, and the driver who times 24th and passes 6 cars is in the dash (and starts 7th in the A if he only passes 5 cars). It also means the end of drivers "coasting" thru a heat (knowing their starting position in the dash or the A-main is secured by just a top 6 finish in a 3 heat program or a top 5 finish in a 4 heat program).

Granted, most nights heat race quality is more a factor of track condition than anything, and clean air is a huge advantage no matter WHO starts in front, but at least with this format there's now REASON to try to race harder in the heats.

For those that suggest a two heat format: I've seen this in Australia quite a bit the past few years, and I don't like it at all. It adds more time to the program, and a point system is VERY difficult to keep track of. (The ability to keep track of what's going on is HUGE in my opinion--and that comes from my conversations with fans.)

Also--something I haven't seen mentioned in any comments about multiple heats: more cost for the teams. It's basically another main event on an engine every 3 or 4 races. (The cost of multiple heats is something I hear about A LOT from drivers in Australia.)

In short, I think that this format is the best possible format (none are perfect) for a nationally touring series like the World of Outlaws Craftsman Sprint Car Series, and I believe over the course of the year will significantly improve the heat racing (which is the intent).

6 members like this post: Can26, dshort36, i love dirt track racing, MIracing, Russ, spicoli
2/21/16, 4:44 AM   #17
oldfan49

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerman View Post
Also--something I haven't seen mentioned in any comments about multiple heats: more cost for the teams. It's basically another main event on an engine every 3 or 4 races. (The cost of multiple heats is something I hear about A LOT from drivers in Australia.).
I fail to see how running the dash is any cheaper than running a qualifier. And how is it more expensive than running a B main or a C then B Main? Seems to me the only ones saving laps on their equipment in the sprint bandit format is ones who transfer straight out of the heat but don't make the dash.

With the heat / qualifier format like the Sprint Bandits even if you get stacked heats through the draw you still get pretty balanced qualifiers with most of the faster cars at the back. ( This fixes the downfall of passing points with heats only where you have stacked heats and weak heats and drivers get screwed on the draw)
In the main the faster cars will usually start toward the front but the top several rows will normally be pretty equal cars that results in some good racing with the occasional fast car that starts back a few rows that will make a charge to the front.
With that format when they came to this area you got to see 6 good sized heats, a B and an A main along with 3 heats with an A and possibly B main for the support class which is just about the right amount of racing to get your moneys worth.

Another great point about this format when you live somewhere like Kansas is you get to see the traveling stars you paid to see race 3 times while still having a chance to see a local give them a run for their money ( I will never forget Jesse Hockett's drive to the front at Lakeside that started an amazing non wing career)

For this part of the country where most don't get to the national stars often the Sprint Bandit format to me is best.

2/21/16, 10:14 PM   #18
Blacki-Suede

Years ago Lawrenceburg Speedway (when it was a 1/4 bull ring) eliminated qualifying all together. Less wear on track surface, less time on tires and engines, allowed the venue to start on time, etc. Drivers drew for heat race positions. Three heat night saw top five in heats make the feature with heat 1 winner on the pole, 2nd heat winner outside front, etc. 6th on back ran the consi with the top five filling out the field. Four heat night saw the top four finishers in heats and consi make up the feature. Drivers and owners were a little apprehensive, but soon found out the same driver/cars finished the same as they did using the qualifying method. Just saying....

2/22/16, 12:30 AM   #19
flagboy55

Usac format is the best. It was even better back when the heats were 8 inverted, but 6 is good enough. Let's face it, and I love both, but wing heat races suck most of the time. I have been to Terre haute for usac, and watched the first heat, and said to my friend, ok, we can go now cause that was worth the price of admission.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, captrat, duel
2/23/16, 1:03 PM   #20
captrat

After reading the replies my response is that no one format fits all. My preference is the USAC format where qualifying, and heat races are meaningful. This does not fit with all, such as weekly shows with limited time and what sometimes feels like unlimited support classes. If I go to a "major league" show I expect to get the whole package, not a truncated version. Every format has limitations and compromises, but a so-called top tier event should include qualifying, partially inverted heats, a last chance race and listen up USAC: a 40 lap main.

.currently anchored in St. Anne, Martinique

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > WoO - No Heat Inversions