IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Plymouth Speedway (IN): Tentative 2016 Schedule POSTED.
12/16/15, 6:14 PM   #11
Re: Plymouth Speedway (IN): Tentative 2016 Schedule POSTED.
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nunn View Post
And it is a HUGE waste of money. They had this at Brownstown and it was a huge flop. Everyone complained about how the cars never worked right, or werent prepared properly.

Hope they get it fixed for 2016
Chris - I've heard the same thing. But I have seen the deal my self. So I'll wait and hear from folks I my area that do try it before I comment any further on it.
-
As far as the new DIRTcar Pro (602 crate) Wing Sprint class at Plymouth and who might be building one; not sure who but I have heard at least 10-12 and that was a few months ago. I figure folks want to see what the payout that the track is willing to put up before they decide to invest in one. From what I'm told they are about 1/2 to a full second slower then the 360's. Which if that is the case I don't think that is to bad considering it's a crate engine. I have not confirmed this with my own eyes but that is what I'm told. Either way I'm happy the folks at the track keep trying to get it right. At least the effort is there. Hope they race a few night with out the wing just to see how they run and something different for the fans. Would like to see another track or two pick up the class but my guess is they want to see the class build up before they commit to run them as a weekly or bi-weekly class.

1 member likes this post: fish
12/17/15, 10:21 AM   #12
plymouthfan

The Pro Sprint class will be there for a long time according to Sara Tarlton. As the have a long term agreement with World Of Outlaws and GM Performance. So the class is not going away. From what i have heard from Joe Gaerte and Eddie Smith at Motorstate they will start with 10-12

12/17/15, 6:00 PM   #13
Can26

I have seen the crates at Ohsweken Speedway in Canada. They run crates that are very close to the Dirt car pro deal. They are not nearly as bad as you would think. They do put on a decent show. All that said this is on a fast 3/8ths that has bite and on big sticky Hoosiers. On a smaller track, with smaller / harder tires, I'm sure the show would be even more entertaining.

12/17/15, 6:32 PM   #14
BrentTFunk

I keep getting confused, is it the 602 or the 305 class that is going save sprint car racing.

12/17/15, 7:48 PM   #15
fourteen fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I keep getting confused, is it the 602 or the 305 class that is going save sprint car racing.
Or the new SOD rules or the......

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55
12/17/15, 8:18 PM   #16
MIracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourteen fan View Post
Or the new SOD rules or the......
How are the new SOD rules the answer when 360 sprints were the answer? What was the question again? Sorry I figured I'd pile on too.
Last edited by MIracing; 12/17/15 at 9:29 PM.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, nathans1012
12/18/15, 1:31 AM   #17
short track scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
Sprint cars, short track, close to home, Saturday nights, weekly, everything I'd ever want.

Except, I can't find where else these cars are going to race.

While the cost of this engine makes sense compared to the cost of running a 410, it makes no financial sense to buy an engine I can only race at one track.

It also does not make financial sense if the only other tracks I can race at, besides Plymouth, are so far away I (or my crew/family/friends) have to miss work or get motel rooms.

If Plymouth stops running that class, what am I going to do with this engine? Who will want to buy it? How far am I going to have to go to sell it and what would it be worth, used, when only a few tracks use them?
Plymouth was the first track sanctioned to run the Pro Sprint class. The plan is to make things right before expanding them to other tracks. Glen Ridge Speedway on the East Coast (NY I believe) is also running the cars for 2016. There are a handful of tracks nationally that are running a 602 powered sprint car class, but they are not aligned with the Pro Sprints platform.

The engine is available through Pace Performance in Boardman, Ohio. The entire ready to bolt in engine is $7850. There are several ways to purchase the engine that while all sealed up, the buyer can buy the approved parts from any source to finish the engine as required. The 602 engine is also used in other crate series across the country. Modifieds, late models and street stocks all have an interest in the 602. Financial sense is in the eye of the beholder, if not the accountant. The cars will race at Plymouth for a purse comparable to the UMP modifieds.

www.dirtcar.com has the rules for the Pro Sprints listed.

We all know the shiny slick buzzwords that used to sell new ideas around here. So I will skip them. If what's on their site makes sense to you, that's good. If not, please take the time to learn more about the what and why of the program. There are things in it I didn't understand until I looked at it for a while.

Feel free to pm me here if anyone has any questions. I'm not going to engage in anything resembling an arguement, but I will discuss what I have learned about the 602 Pro Sprints.

2 members like this post: fish, nathans1012
12/18/15, 8:53 AM   #18
fourteen fan

A few years ago I worked at a track that ran crate lm for a year. It was on a 1/2 mile track and they averaged around 20 cars a week because of a very generous sponsor bought or supplied the engines at a very low cost.
It was the most boring racing I have seen in 50 years of going to the races. It was follow the leader around the bottom; and the only few passes were when someone missed the turn or someone bumped their way through.
The other issue is teching the engines and the seals. What started happening in the lm was drivers started spending more on shocks etc.
Hope things works, but I have my doubts based on what I seen for one year in lm.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
12/18/15, 3:28 PM   #19
TCR57

Choices. It's what makes America great. Some have chosen to support the class, and some have not. Some have chosen to get online and bait the hook for how bad it will be. Some have chosen to get online and support the concept. Freedom of speech, blah blah blah. Who cares if you can only race it at one track- you can choose not to. Who cares if it didn't work at other tracks? Someone made a choice to cancel the class. Their choice.

I don't see many other tracks making investments that Plymouth is. Both in infrastructure and in class structure. Racers can choose to support it, fans can choose to support it, or not. Provide the best experience possible and let freedom of choice determine the outcome.

As what has become common... People complain about promotion, lack of diversity, etc. so a track communicated, announces a very diverse schedule and out of the woodwork comes skepticism about a class, questions about payout, no demo derbies, etc.

It's our sport folks, how do you support it?
Choices...
Last edited by TCR57; 12/18/15 at 3:30 PM.

4 members like this post: fish, nathans1012, PIT CART, racer-x
12/19/15, 3:47 PM   #20
flagboy55

I support it by going to Eldora in may for 2 headlining classes. Usac and world of outlaws. That's what makes Eldora great, of course it's my choice!

5 members like this post: nathans1012, PIT CART, scottyCbus, spicoli, TCR57
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Plymouth Speedway (IN): Tentative 2016 Schedule POSTED.