IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > SPEED TV Highlights of USAC events
5/26/08, 12:36 PM   #1
SPEED TV Highlights of USAC events
Millsvideo

Hey folks,

The link below will take you to www.speedtv.com and the highlights package seen on "The Speed Report" last night for USAC's "Tony Hulman Classic" and "The Night Before the 500" events.

It's good to see USAC on SPEED anytime we have the opportunity to do so anymore. Please drop them a line and let them know how much you enjoy seeing USAC highlights on the "SPEED REPORT". Perhaps they will show us more in the future...You can contact them here:

http://www.speedtv.com/feedback/

Here is the address where you can find the highlights package:

http://www.speedtv.com/video/popup/ Once there, scroll down to, "USAC: Indiana Update".

My favorite part of the segment is where Bob Varsha points out the obvious; that "the cameraman needs a new place to stand". Indeed. Terre Haute needs to provide a suitable position for videographers so that they can cover their events properly, now that the tower in turn 1 has been "condemned". The "powers-that-be" at the "SPEED REPORT" have been made aware of it, and were not exactly pleased. We were lucky to still get highlights on the show from that event. Between all the teasers, the segment that aired on the show, and the highlights they showed on "Wind Tunnel", Terre Haute and ORP both received several minutes of free exposure on prime-time nationwide television, courtesy of the United States Auto Club. ORP provides a nice platform to shoot from, while Terre Haute no longer does. That will have to be rectified if they hope to get such exposure in the future.

A more in-depth highlights package will be up of the "Night Before the 500" within the next 24 hours at www.millsvideoproductions.com.

Dean Mills
Mills Video Productions

5/26/08, 11:18 PM   #2
Re: SPEED TV Highlights of USAC events
Millsvideo

bump

5/27/08, 12:10 AM   #3
midmad68

it's great to see our cars make it onto national tv every once and a while. we sure could use more of it. i was a little disappointed with the fact that they showed all kinds of action in the preview but then left all of that out in the actual coverage. we need to build it up to get to see more than the first corner and the last corner of the race.

MJ

5/27/08, 12:39 PM   #4
Bobv

Dean, I am amazed that the new THAT management team does not understand what national TV exposure can do for them. I would not return there to shoot until they either provide a suitable camera platform or a lift.

Keep up the good work, your videos are always top notch and right on the action. Really enjoy your highlights as I have not been able to get to a race this year.

:applaud:

5/27/08, 6:46 PM   #5
petey

There used to be a stand on the roof of the main grandstand which was a good place to get a shot of the cars. I even climbed up to it a couple of times in the past to get a good view of the track and some photos.

5/27/08, 6:48 PM   #6
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

We tried to get a lift, and we had one, but the insurance man put a stop to that.

Hopefully something can be rectified for the next event

5/27/08, 7:00 PM   #7
Millsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nunn View Post
We tried to get a lift, and we had one, but the insurance man put a stop to that.

Hopefully something can be rectified for the next event
Chris, you were there every step of the way on my little journey Thursday night, and I appreciate your enthusiasm, and willingness to help in what I was trying to do.

The thing that I wish to stress here is that I am here to help the various racetrack owners/proprietors/promoters in getting the sport of short track racing as much exposure as it possibly can so that it grows to new levels. I am part of the solution, not a part of the problem. I am on their side. But, when I was there on Thursday, I felt like they viewed me as the enemy. And that's ridiculous. Myself and the two other guys I brought were the only three individuals in the house to document the "Grand Re-opening" of the Terre Haute Action Track for posterity (via video). The two other cameras were there to get action from one side of the track, making me the only videographer in the place who could see all the way around the track, and they reduced my work to what amounts to "home video". My perspective was awful. And, to top it off, I had to pay $75 just to have those poor sightlines. Come on...Can't we do better than this?

You are right. This needs to be rectified before the next event. Somehow, some way.

DM

5/27/08, 8:41 PM   #8
terrehautian

speaking of video, when I can get time to go through my files, I have the turn 1 flip on video. I will try to upload it tomorrow to some site.

5/27/08, 8:43 PM   #9
Wolfe-e

Mr. Mills, I do Thank You for your work. I also appreciate what you want and need... You have been heard and as with almost everything else, I am sure that things will improve... I believe the main problem is simply not having the right people know before hand, "with enough time for them get what was needed and the insurance waiver".. There was nothing personal in the decission... I do not have the power, or authority to make that call... As for the cost, again I appoligize... Did you go through USAC for credentials, or the track???
There are Many Things that still need done at The Action Track... What I have seen is that "Things Are Getting Done" daily, weekly and they will continue to... The Goal is Simple, To Make The Terre Haute Action Track the number 1 Dirt Track in the Nation... That may seem like a long way off, but the first steps have been taken... I hope that you will be there along the way... Thanks again for All your Help and I hope to see you soon at The Action Track!!!!!!!! Wolfe-e

5/27/08, 8:46 PM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsvideo View Post
Chris, you were there every step of the way on my little journey Thursday night, and I appreciate your enthusiasm, and willingness to help in what I was trying to do.

The thing that I wish to stress here is that I am here to help the various racetrack owners/proprietors/promoters in getting the sport of short track racing as much exposure as it possibly can so that it grows to new levels. I am part of the solution, not a part of the problem. I am on their side. But, when I was there on Thursday, I felt like they viewed me as the enemy. And that's ridiculous. Myself and the two other guys I brought were the only three individuals in the house to document the "Grand Re-opening" of the Terre Haute Action Track for posterity (via video). The two other cameras were there to get action from one side of the track, making me the only videographer in the place who could see all the way around the track, and they reduced my work to what amounts to "home video". My perspective was awful. And, to top it off, I had to pay $75 just to have those poor sightlines. Come on...Can't we do better than this?

You are right. This needs to be rectified before the next event. Somehow, some way.

DM

I couldn't agree more. Getting the message out there is the biggest promotional tool you can find? Other than the website and some racing sites, Where can you find a USAC schedule? TV, News papers, Weekend whats happening magazines are where it's at.
Chuck

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > SPEED TV Highlights of USAC events