IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > indy indoors and breweries
12/6/15, 10:06 PM   #1
indy indoors and breweries
flagboy55

Reaching out to my iow brethren for some recommendations. I have seen that more than a few of you are craft beer fans. I plan on having lunch at a brewery Saturday before the race. Which brewery close to downtown has the best food beer combination? I know indy's craft beer scene is really exploding and would like to add another brewery to my list. Thanks

12/6/15, 11:00 PM   #2
JDK222

Sun King Brewing Company is not too far from the fieldhouse might be a good option for craft beers they do tours as well. Scottys Brewhouse is really close to the fieldhouse but a little more commercial but great place with good food. Hope that helps.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, reeserx
12/6/15, 11:04 PM   #3
reeserx

Sun King brewery is a great spot, two deep brewing is near Methodist hospital, they have some really good beer as well. But sun King's sun light is just delcious. There really is a ton of Breweries downtown. Enjoy!

2 members like this post: flagboy55, Racer_dude35
12/6/15, 11:40 PM   #4
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

I'd say Sun King is just a tad overrated. I know it's not the popular opinion, though. If I recall correctly, I talked to you about Three Floyds at one time, and I believe you're a fan of IPAs, and I'm not a big fan of the one I've had from Sun King, which is called Osiris. It's not bad but certainly not that great. Their Scottish beer Wee Mac is decent. There's plenty of restaurants around with a great selection, but if you're set on a brewery then I can't help too much. I know I'll be racking up a hefty tab at this joint called The Winner's Circle. It's mainly a place where people go and bet on horse races, so naturally they have cheap beer. 3 dollar twenty ounce mugs on any beer they have with a good selection, and now my comment has ended up in me saying where I'll be getting a buzz at haha.

2 members like this post: bn kleen, flagboy55
12/7/15, 12:04 AM   #5
monkeyboy

I'd head to flat 12. Hinch and them have a great relationship. They have a beer named for him. And their twelve beers if Christmas will be going on so who knows what they'll have on tap. Some free samples pints and growlers. Indiana city isn't too far from the fieldhouse. On Washington just east of it. Flat 12 and sun king are pretty close to each other too. And just mile or two south is fountain square brewing and new day meadery. Also chilly water brewing and hotel tango distillery are all within 2-3 miles of the fieldhouse. Get downtown and have some fun.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, dirtyd6305
12/7/15, 12:10 AM   #6
flagboy55

You are correct sir! I'm a huge ipa fan and happily drink 3 floyds beer with regularity. I have to agree that I have never been impressed with sun king beer, nothing bad, just over hyped. My deal Saturday is my brother who has quit enjoying beer is driving so I need a good meal for him as well a good ipa for me. My favorite indy beer so far is flat 12. But looking to expand

1 member likes this post: GYATK94
12/7/15, 12:14 AM   #7
monkeyboy

I'd suggest fountain square brewing. A ton of good food within walking distance. And every place has a great tap selection. Fountain square brewings hop for teacher is really good. Indiana city has a double ipa on tap right now too. Flat 12 or black acre has the bear beer in town
Last edited by monkeyboy; 12/7/15 at 12:15 AM.

1 member likes this post: dirtyd6305
12/7/15, 12:16 AM   #8
Re: indy indoors and breweries
jim goerge

Dam Whatever happened to just having a ice cold Bud

12/7/15, 7:04 AM   #9
chudder

My name is Chris H. I host the tours at Sun King on Saturday! I am avid and knowledgeable racing and beer geek. One of our owners used to sponsor The Modern Day Cowboy. I will be giving the Sun King tours at 1:00pm and 2:00 pm then finding a place to eat and drink myself. Please, please drop by the Sun King Brewery at 104 N College Ave. and ask for Chris H. The tours are free and possibly some free samples especially to you Sun King doubters that I challenge to show up. I may even take you all to the secret room where we do barrel aging and sours. I will be glad to swap Sun King products for other beers I haven't tried from surrounding states. Please pm me or email me if you have any questions!
You can park in Sun Kings lot, walk to the race about four-five blocks away for free!
Also check out Flat 12, Indiana City, Two Deep, Fountain Square and Chilli Water brewing and Tomlinson Tap (only Indiana beers) all within a mile or two from The King.
Chris H aka Chudder chagchud@yahoo.com

12/7/15, 1:16 PM   #10
4th turn fan

My current " fav" is Granite City Brewery. It's on ground floor of Circle Center Mall. Their " 2 Pull" is great. Discovered this place while wife was shopping ( I now enjoy it when she shops ). It is a few blocks from Fieldhouse & Lucas Oil.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > indy indoors and breweries