IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Newbie to site
10/25/15, 11:52 PM   #21
Re: Newbie to site
bart

Maddog, welcome from Texas!

These guys are great and are very helpful.

Sprint week is my dream vacation and I have not been able to pull it off...yet.

Bart

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
10/26/15, 8:03 AM   #22
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Also don't over look Midget week! One of the best special race deals going. Hard to beat 5 straight nights of the best Midget and Sprint racing on the planet!

2 members like this post: jerrydt, jim goerge
10/26/15, 2:05 PM   #23
ModernDayDrifter

Race Count This Year: 47
Race Count Last Year: 37

As another relative newbie to non wing racing and this site I can add my experiences at each of the tracks I have been to in Hoosier state.

Gas City- Have only been once or twice, all I can remember is it is a little joint, DO NOT sit on the lower grandstands entering turn 1. Bad idea. Also, I may have the wrong track, but isn't Gas City the track where you buy a GA ticket and for $1 extra you can walk around the pits before the start of the events and they will clear the pits out during drivers meeting time? Maybe someone else here will know for sure.

Kokomo- Another bullring that produces the best 4 wide racing in the state. Unbelievable is all I have to say. There is a reason why there are promotions going on that say Get Your Ass To Kokomo or GYATK for short.

Lawrenceburg- If big tracks are your thing, this is for you. A Massive high banked joint that can get dusty and dry but still produce good racing. Don't sit in turn 1 stands unless you want to face the sun all night and get pelted with rocks.

Terre Haute- An absolute must do for any fan... watch your first hot lap session against the fence in the infield of Turn 1. HOLY COW!!! One of the greatest views in all of motorsports. Other than that I make my way to the far end of the bleachers in turn 1 to watch them come at me all night. Sure is an awesome sound under the roof!

Putnamville- Another bullring that produces wonderful racing. I enjoy sitting hillside in a lawnchair for best view.

Bloomington- Another track set up a lot like putnamville, I sit hillside there also. Get the ice cream and pork loin sammich.

Haubstadt- WOW! is all I can say about that! You owe it to yourself to make it to the Class Track. Any view ive had has been great. and If Daron Clayton is there, GO!!! It is The House that Clayton Built!

Brownstown- IF you like latemodels, this is the joint for you! awesome little racetrack, and if you are lucky to catch a sprint car race there, watch Brady Short run his "line" around that place! I was there for water truck incident a few years back at sprint week. Only sprint show ive seen there. Have seen 3 or 4 latemodel shows.

Sprint Week- Sprint Week is awesome, Set up across the course of two weekends Fri-Sat-Sun. off days Mon-Tues. and back at it Wed-Thurs-Fri-Sat. And it truly one of the greatest weeks in all of racing. I catch the last 4 days every year.

Midget Week- My favorite week in Indiana! You have all of the benefits of sprint week, and midgets thrown in as headliners! Most drivers pull double duty also! Only downside is its 5 nights in a row, so that means some midweek stops.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Show!

3 members like this post: davidm, fish, jim goerge
10/27/15, 4:31 AM   #24

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

I catch a lot of those IRA races too, good stuff. but I grew up with the midgets at Sun Prairie and love non wing stuff. With the midgets not running so much up here in Wisconsin the last few years I've ventured south. I have found some fantastic midget racing in Illinois at Macon Jacksonville, spoon river. Sometimes Powri midgets double up with the MOWA winged sprints an you get some of both. Also I like to hit the Springfield mile for silver crown in august then take the short drive to Macon that night.

AS far as Indiana you must hit Kokomo for any sprint show. PERIOD

For planning I keep an eye on POWRI USAC IRA MOWA and some of the track websites for their schedules as they come out over the winter and as the season gets rolling.

11/3/15, 1:11 PM   #25
maddog53

Race Count This Year: 10

Thanks. I will be checking out all the schedules as you suggested. I am hoping to get to some of these races. It is time to take the wing off for a summer and check these places out. I made Angell Park for the first time this year for the NSL?IRA tilt. Badger midgets ere there also. It was a great night.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Newbie to site