allow aftermarket ignition for mec injection systems 19 34.55%
allow gasoline or methanol as fuel 10 18.18%
allow methanol only (safety) 31 56.36%
allow aftermarket injection electronic 24 43.64%
allow aftermarket injection mechanical 27 49.09%
allow bore change to meet displacement 14 25.45%
allow stroke change to meet displacement 13 23.64%
allow the use of restricted older National Midget Motors 25 45.45%
allow the use of stock smaller forced induction motors as they come on line 9 16.36%
allow M/C powerd cars to remove clutch and starter 10 18.18%
Allow 2.5L Engines 17 30.91%
I have raced in a DII class in the past 19 34.55%
I am very interested in DII Midget racing 18 32.73%
keep min weight as they are 1125>1000>910>875 7 12.73%
Change min weight of auto engine cars down to 1025 lbs. 3 5.45%
Tow your car on an open trailer 5 9.09%
weiRaise the min weight to accomodate 2014 average male weight of 196 pounds 4 7.27%
allow OEM Stock VVT 9 16.36%
VVT must be disabled if aftermarket fuel injection is used 3 5.45%
no wings 5 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New DII Engine rules
10/14/15, 7:46 PM   #21
hullracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Hull

The guys up in Illinois race on a much smaller tire and for years seem to do just fine with them both on pavement and dirt.

Honest Dad himself

I'm from Illinois and run with the IMRA and we run the "big" tires which are just normal midget tires and the IRS guys in northern Illinois run the smaller AR tires which look like front tires all around. Either way the SP2 is a good tire and last depending on the driver and the track. That's why I played with the SP3 this year to see how that would play out and it worked great on the abrasive surfaces I got atleast 4-5 races before it was junk. On the less abrasive tracks it seals up and is basically junk. So the sp2 and above plus SD38 and above work really well for these types of power plants. Enough power to break them loose yet not to much power to blister or toast a tire.

1 member likes this post: DaGuy
10/14/15, 9:23 PM   #22
suzuki756

You can't police this class, race them .....

10/14/15, 10:04 PM   #23
DaGuy

It is all police-able with trained tech people and the correct post race procedures. 2 race wins pull a valve cover or an oil pan. The current bore scopes can check anything that can make a difference from ports to pistons. Just have to do your homework on the engines that are legal for the series.

4 members like this post: DAD, hullracing, J47, Sling'n DIRT
10/14/15, 11:31 PM   #24
LEADERS EDGE

Racing is a funny sport. It attracts people from several different backgrounds and walks of life. Some do it because of the competition. Some for the thrill and some for the mechanical challenge. Some rich and some poor.

The common thread that runs through all of them is ego. The vast majority hate to lose and hate to face why they get beat. Most blame that they are out motored or out monied. Some truth to that....but mostly the results are because they don't emphasize spending the money and time in the right places.

So now we are where we are at. Another class of cars and set of rules. Splitting up an already thin fan base with confusion and competition of other series and insuring purses will not only not go up, but trend down.

Started with the best of intentions, but will most likely be plagued with unintended consequences. The problems with rules are that once in place they then need to be enforced. Easier said than done. I personally don't see how if you wouldn't build your own midget motor that people will suddenly build their own D2 motors.

Car counts will range between 14 to 23. Guys will still buy motors from Esslinger and Honda and TRD and people with cash will still show up in toters and run new tires.

People will get their feelings hurt because they aren't the ones who are getting the glory. Finger pointing and Misinformation will be spread. Many will say that the costs are outrageous. Titanium and carbon fiber parts along with adjustable shocks will be blamed. The motors will be deemed too open and expensive. Eventually new rules and motors will be put in place. In order to get tracks behind the new group they will run for less money.

Just how it is.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 10/14/15 at 11:55 PM.

10/15/15, 12:48 AM   #25
Re: New DII Engine rules
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearguy View Post
There is not much new in this D2 business. In 2016 the Illini Racing Series will have its 25th season of sportsman midget racing. Laverne Spenser has sheparded this deal from the start and has the scars to prove it. You may not like our tire rules but we have the motor thing pretty much under control. National motors are allowed but restricted; we have a stock internal rule but make allowances in restrictor size to account for motors that have been internally modified.
All that got "invented" in Florida or Iowa was the D2 nametag. Stock block clubs existed before WWII and proudly called themselves Class B Midgets.
I hope IRS sticks to what THEY did in recent years & still DOES allow restricted "National motors"...Laverne should be feeling a LOT of respect, as, like you said, he was the one to usher in what many forms of midget racing are becoming - 24 years ago!!!
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

3 members like this post: computergeek, DAD, LEADERS EDGE
10/15/15, 3:07 AM   #26
jackrussel2015

There will be lots of racer events in this season for midgets.

10/15/15, 6:00 PM   #27
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
Racing is a funny sport. It attracts people from several different backgrounds and walks of life. Some do it because of the competition. Some for the thrill and some for the mechanical challenge. Some rich and some poor.

The common thread that runs through all of them is ego. The vast majority hate to lose and hate to face why they get beat. Most blame that they are out motored or out monied. Some truth to that....but mostly the results are because they don't emphasize spending the money and time in the right places.

So now we are where we are at. Another class of cars and set of rules. Splitting up an already thin fan base with confusion and competition of other series and insuring purses will not only not go up, but trend down.

Started with the best of intentions, but will most likely be plagued with unintended consequences. The problems with rules are that once in place they then need to be enforced. Easier said than done. I personally don't see how if you wouldn't build your own midget motor that people will suddenly build their own D2 motors.

Car counts will range between 14 to 23. Guys will still buy motors from Esslinger and Honda and TRD and people with cash will still show up in toters and run new tires.

People will get their feelings hurt because they aren't the ones who are getting the glory. Finger pointing and Misinformation will be spread. Many will say that the costs are outrageous. Titanium and carbon fiber parts along with adjustable shocks will be blamed. The motors will be deemed too open and expensive. Eventually new rules and motors will be put in place. In order to get tracks behind the new group they will run for less money.

Just how it is.

I remember several years ago this guy started a thread on IOW. He said he was interested in starting a new class of Midgets up at a track north east of Indy. He advertised for months it seemed like. He invited all racers interested in such a class to a meeting up in Indy. It sounded interesting so I went. We sat around for a couple of hours and talked about what we wanted and what we did not want. He took notes. He went back home and composed a set of rules for his class, and I am sure the same things were said about him and his desire to get just a little off of the beaten path.

Things were kind of slow at first and he had difficulties making up a full field of cars. He did exactly what he said he was going to do and paid a pretty decent purse. Now his class has grown and seems to be doing pretty good. Who would have ever thought that you could run regular Midgets>Focus Midgets>Eco-tec Midgets and even Mini Sprints together in harmony. Well it worked out pretty good. He has left some open dates in his schedule and perhaps several of the cars that he races could also race in this new class.

This new class does have the luxury of support from other larger racing organizations giving it both Money and experience to get the new class up and running. Sponsors are coming on line, and dates are being set as we speak. It won't be perfect and will require changes as problems arise and then solved.

These little engines remind me of the Motorcycle engines. They are not developed to the tune of the 1000cc motors but then the only motors to rival them race in F-1 and Indy. But with twice the displacement they do not need the sophistication of the little motors. They should be strong enough internally to handle the racing in Midgets and on short tracks with little or no modifications to the internals.

Start them pretty much stock and don't start throwing parts at them until they show that they need it. One of the fastest Eco tec cars I have seen one that is capable of beating the National Midgets motors up at Montpelier is basically stock inside.

Let's give it a chance and see what happens. I know most old school racers are used to patching up those heavy old Midget Motors to run again and again. But all of those parts are expensive. I can buy a 2014 Eco tec for $1500.00 slightly used, much cheaper than a new crank for an Esslinger or other modern Midget motor, and it was assembled under the best of conditions with the best of tools and very highly trained If somewhat focused technicians.

These little motors ain't you Daddy's Pinto's anymore.

Honest Dad himself

10/15/15, 7:05 PM   #28
LEADERS EDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
I remember several years ago this guy started a thread on IOW. He said he was interested in starting a new class of Midgets up at a track north east of Indy. He advertised for months it seemed like. He invited all racers interested in such a class to a meeting up in Indy. It sounded interesting so I went. We sat around for a couple of hours and talked about what we wanted and what we did not want. He took notes. He went back home and composed a set of rules for his class, and I am sure the same things were said about him and his desire to get just a little off of the beaten path.

Things were kind of slow at first and he had difficulties making up a full field of cars. He did exactly what he said he was going to do and paid a pretty decent purse. Now his class has grown and seems to be doing pretty good. Who would have ever thought that you could run regular Midgets>Focus Midgets>Eco-tec Midgets and even Mini Sprints together in harmony. Well it worked out pretty good. He has left some open dates in his schedule and perhaps several of the cars that he races could also race in this new class.

This new class does have the luxury of support from other larger racing organizations giving it both Money and experience to get the new class up and running. Sponsors are coming on line, and dates are being set as we speak. It won't be perfect and will require changes as problems arise and then solved.

These little engines remind me of the Motorcycle engines. They are not developed to the tune of the 1000cc motors but then the only motors to rival them race in F-1 and Indy. But with twice the displacement they do not need the sophistication of the little motors. They should be strong enough internally to handle the racing in Midgets and on short tracks with little or no modifications to the internals.

Start them pretty much stock and don't start throwing parts at them until they show that they need it. One of the fastest Eco tec cars I have seen one that is capable of beating the National Midgets motors up at Montpelier is basically stock inside.

Let's give it a chance and see what happens. I know most old school racers are used to patching up those heavy old Midget Motors to run again and again. But all of those parts are expensive. I can buy a 2014 Eco tec for $1500.00 slightly used, much cheaper than a new crank for an Esslinger or other modern Midget motor, and it was assembled under the best of conditions with the best of tools and very highly trained If somewhat focused technicians.

These little motors ain't you Daddy's Pinto's anymore.

Honest Dad himself
After reading this I fully understand why people would give the finger to midget racing and just buy a 410 sprint car. No hassles....just go race it.

8 members like this post: computergeek, Drew Tarr, fish, opnwhlmnd, Quantrill, Ray3, RickyBobby, TQ29m
10/15/15, 9:05 PM   #29
suzuki756

Exactly. More threads on here about rules then races coming to what tracks. Make more and more rules that will get more cars

10/15/15, 9:47 PM   #30
Sling'n DIRT

But you don't see ANY D-2 promoters or series owners commenting....I agree some people post on here that has NOTHING at all to do with those groups.

8 members like this post: bowbuild, fish, Hillbilly95, hullracing, MWRmgr1010, opnwhlmnd, Tom23, xoxide
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New DII Engine rules