IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > "Gold Crown" 2016 moves back to October 1st weekend
9/10/15, 4:49 PM   #1
"Gold Crown" 2016 moves back to October
Revin

We would like to Thank the Driver's/Team's/Fans for your support over the Labor Day weekend. We were hoping by moving the "Gold Crown" to labor day we would catch better weather. Well we did, but it was a tough weekend for Driver's and Fans to attend. We asked Teams and Fans and the majority felt October was the best.

We will continue to do what we can to make this a Premier event for everyone. Thank you to everyone who has supported this for the past 7 years. It can only get better! Announcement coming soon.

Also their will be a USAC Quarter Midget 2 day event the same weekend on Saturday & Sunday.

Reserved seating will be available and tickets go on sale in April.

Press Release:
2016 The Gold Crown will be ran in October as we did in 2014.

Thank you again to everyone!
Kevin & Tammy Gundaker
Last edited by Revin; 9/10/15 at 11:38 PM.

9/10/15, 5:16 PM   #2
SpfldMile

Thank you, I think this is a good move. Labor Day weekend is just so full of racing and other activities. I've gone every year, and honestly, I love the October date. I think you've been unlucky with cold and rain the last few years, but the law of averages says that it will probably be pretty nice. I look forward to 2016.

1 member likes this post: WinglessLovers
9/10/15, 5:44 PM   #3
Re: "Gold Crown" 2016 moves back to October 1st weekend
El1teBr33ze

Although I was highly supportive of the decision to move to Labor Day weekend because of weather, I was highly disappointed in driver attendance. I would much rather chance the weather and sit in the cold to see all of the nations top drivers there and not have to contend with other premier events.

Also, being from Illinois, I'd love to see the Gold Crown ran with non-wing sprints again. Even if it was Friday non wing/Saturday MOWA. We've seen different combinations over the years (non-wing/MOWA/600s) but haven't seen the "open wheel extravaganza" and seeing non wing and wings all in the same weekend.

Regardless...it's still my go-to event of the year. I will continue to support it, no matter when it is! Thanks Kevin and Tammy for all you've done with this event.

7 members like this post: Jbaldwin, jim goerge, luckybuc97, miller51b, mscs20, oppweld, red70racer
9/10/15, 8:37 PM   #4
BrentTFunk

I am certain this will work better for me. This year was the first I have missed. You do a great job, and it is always big fun,

9/10/15, 10:26 PM   #5
PAW

This was the first year I've missed too.I'll be back next year and hope it's 3 days again.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Indy1808
9/10/15, 10:54 PM   #6
Revin

We'd like to bring the Non-Wing back

9/10/15, 11:45 PM   #7
red70racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revin View Post
We'd like to bring the Non-Wing back
It would be great, it's the only place we get to run non wing in STL. I loved the weekend when you had us before. Okay, I still love the Gold Crown, just loved it more when we could participate
Jeff Palazzolo

9/11/15, 12:55 PM   #8
darnall

Having nonwing sprints at least one night of the Gold Crown, if not multiple nights, seems like a great idea. And in this part of the country a promoter would be hard pressed to find any series that offers a better bang for their buck than the WAR series. If WAR and WAR east cosanctioned a nonwing support class to the gold crown I have no doubt they would bring enough cars to fill up an A feature but not so many that it interferes with the midget program and they generally put on a really good show. Not to mention that the series is still young and hungry enough that the organizers and series officials bend over backwards to make the host tracks glad they booked em.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, red70racer
9/11/15, 1:01 PM   #9
John P Huss

Bring back non winged sprints!
Best Regards,
John

1 member likes this post: Indy1808
9/11/15, 1:43 PM   #10
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAW View Post
This was the first year I've missed too.I'll be back next year and hope it's 3 days again.
+1 on that Statement with Traditional Sprint cars.
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > "Gold Crown" 2016 moves back to October 1st weekend