IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC wish list for 2016
8/26/15, 5:40 PM   #31
ThrowbackRacingTeam

1. Got to 2.4L production midget engines. Watch car counts soar and then you can revive the "Hut 100" at Terre Haute after it gets resurfaced with its original type of dirt.
2. For sprints: eliminate front sway bars so they aren't so much different than wing cars. This gives a non-regular a better perception that he can be competitive. Also, go to the next step harder 16" tire. Enough track records have been set this year to tell me they're a little too hooked up.
3. Mandate halo bars on all USAC registered cars. At least protect your own drivers.
4. Someone should help non-Indiana guys set up their non-wing sprinters. They need help.
5. A full grandstand at Springfield next year to see the real Plastic Express win the race on an overcast day running the cushion.
6. The return of the Ultimate Challenge. Once again paying $30,000 to win.
This ain't too much to ask is it??

2 members like this post: DaveP63, kart31rac
8/26/15, 5:46 PM   #32
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Almost forgot. Go back to 8 car heat inverts and the old rules regarding the Bmain. Also, invert 8 in the A-main. At the very least, invert 8 on Half miles or bigger. The heats at THAT are no where near as good as they used to be.

2 members like this post: oppweld, Xflagman
8/26/15, 6:14 PM   #33
SpfldMile

How about giving Illinois some love and giving us a sprint race or two. Also, Terre Haute should get something other than midweek races. I know they don't like scheduling against local tracks, but THAT deserves a weekend crowd too.

4 members like this post: illinifan, kart31rac, nathans1012, oppweld
8/26/15, 6:41 PM   #34
miledirt

NASCAR has the Daytona 500
IndyCar obviously has THE 500

Give the Champ Car series a premier event that pays more. If the Mo State Fair can do 13k to win for 360 sprint cars, surely one of our mile dirt tracks could see a raised purse at some point in the season.

3 members like this post: groove grabber, kart31rac, oppweld
8/26/15, 6:41 PM   #35
Re: USAC wish list for 2016
SWScaleChassis

I second the World Finals wish. Would probably push it to a 4 day show, and doubt the counts would be too high given the Oval Nats on that weekend, and the Western World the following. Potential schedule re-work if it was worth it.
I could also see a big strain on teams if the national points schedule took them to Charlotte, then Perris, then Arizona (lord knows what AZ track will hold what event year after year.. different argument.) But, it is a wish!

I'd also like to see more joint shows with WoO like they did at Eldora this year, and how CRA has done at Perris in the spring. Why is it so taboo to have the absolute best in sprint car racing on the same ticket? Who loses in that deal. Obviously the WoO are gonna be the feature card, and allow them to draw the usual crowd, but use the attendance to let the USAC guys put on a show! I'm sure plenty of tracks could support it.

And finally! I'd like to see USAC send some surveyors down I-65 and 75 to scope some tracks to hit on the way to/from Florida speedweeks in Feb to maybe get some dates through Tennessee and Georgia.

I suppose you could say 'wishful thinking'...

2 members like this post: illinifan, nathans1012
8/26/15, 7:39 PM   #36
LB

Bring back the true copper classic at PIR , midgets , sprints , crown , supers , now then , for the silver crown , if you run a pavement race then a dirt race like at irp then the fairgrounds and use the same car for both car owner and driver get double points .. And or using the same car for all crown races make sure the owners get double points . ,,,,, Just thinking,
Last edited by LB; 8/26/15 at 8:04 PM.

4 members like this post: groove grabber, kart31rac, nathans1012, SWScaleChassis
8/26/15, 8:04 PM   #37
on_the_edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
1. Got to 2.4L production midget engines. Watch car counts soar and then you can revive the "Hut 100" at Terre Haute after it gets resurfaced with its original type of dirt.
2. For sprints: eliminate front sway bars so they aren't so much different than wing cars. This gives a non-regular a better perception that he can be competitive. Also, go to the next step harder 16" tire. Enough track records have been set this year to tell me they're a little too hooked up.
3. Mandate halo bars on all USAC registered cars. At least protect your own drivers.
4. Someone should help non-Indiana guys set up their non-wing sprinters. They need help.
5. A full grandstand at Springfield next year to see the real Plastic Express win the race on an overcast day running the cushion.
6. The return of the Ultimate Challenge. Once again paying $30,000 to win.
This ain't too much to ask is it??
Most sprint cars don't run a sway bar anymore. You can go through the pits and see a lot of empty tubes hanging off the front. There are obviously differences between a wing and non wing like front axle width.

Next thing on your list a 16" tire, well that is also already in effect. The Hoosier medium is a 16" wide tire. Records are falling because horse power has increased and guys have found ways to hook the cars up better (like with shocks).

I don't disagree with the halo. Safety is something that always needs to be improved and anything that can be done to make them safer I'm all for.

Now the inverting of 8, well let's just say I don't see that as a positive. If we want safer we can't put guys that are going to be considerably slower in front of the fast guys. My solution is invert 4 in the heats then do a random draw for feature invert 1 through 8, similar to the outlaws. Then if you have to run the b you are lined up according to time behind the guys who transferred through the heat.(not your point but just quoted you for the other couple)

My last suggestion is if you go 2 or more laps down you get dq'd from the event or if you are more than 2 seconds off the pace on the bigger tracks. These guys are good for the show, but can become very dangerous for the leaders, when in USAC a lot of guys are racing for a living and drive very hard, when you throw a much slower car into the equation it becomes dangerous for all involved.

I don't have or know the perfect solution, but it's fun to toss around ideas.
Last edited by on_the_edge; 8/26/15 at 8:22 PM.

1 member likes this post: illinifan
8/26/15, 9:25 PM   #38
Hustlin-Hoosier

Race Count Last Year: 22

Who's to say that they didn't have a bad lap or have their car set-up right ? If they're faster , than they shouldn't have a problem getting around the slower cars!

1 member likes this post: SWScaleChassis
8/26/15, 11:26 PM   #39
ThrowbackRacingTeam

On the edge- I know they already run a 16" tire. I said the next step harder one. I know many of the cars don't run a sway bar but many do. It's about perception, like I said. The format you suggest is what they run at Knoxville and it sucks! 4 car inverts are a total joke. I went there three times this year to give it a try and am not going back next year. USAC racing is still the best so not a big deal if nothing changes.

8/27/15, 12:26 AM   #40
Spi-nex

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
I would like to see a 4 crown type event at Hartford to start the season. The 4 crown at Eldora, my favorite event of the year, is the best way to wrap up the Midwest season, why not start it with one? The silver crowns would be awesome there.
I would love that too, thought about it many times, but we just can't bankroll that type of event, yet.

1 member likes this post: nathans1012
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC wish list for 2016