IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > That damn Dave Darland!
7/22/15, 2:29 PM   #11
Re: That damn Dave Darland!
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Has been my favorite for several years! If he had been born in a different era, he would have no doubt been a contender in the Indy 500!

7/22/15, 4:15 PM   #12
CALandSurveyor8759

The PEOPLE'S Champion!!!

4 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, fish, jim goerge, racegal
7/22/15, 5:06 PM   #13
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Good. This thread turned into exactly what I intended it for. Sharing your awesome stories or memories of DD. Rather than reading that garbage filled post from a couple of days ago.

Keep up the stories!

5 members like this post: davidm, dirtnonwingfan, fish, jim goerge, racegal
7/22/15, 5:18 PM   #14
Scooter

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: 50+

He's a childhood hero to me.

I recommend the book...

4 members like this post: davidm, fish, jim goerge, racegal
7/22/15, 5:37 PM   #15
B99

Good topic Chris..

The following comes from an announcer who lurks but doesn't post here:

"I began following Dave Darland in the 80's/early 90's when he was winning all over Indiana, but didn't get to see him really race until he was racing the Earlywine Valvoline 36D at Terre Haute. I understood them why Dave Argabright said if the World of Outlaws was a wingless organization, Dave would be a multi-time champion."

"It was really gratifying to see him get and capitalize on the ride in the Galen Fox 56 dirt champ car. Dave deserved that level of ride and the title that followed soon thereafter."

"I got into announcing in 1997, since that time I've interviewed lots of drivers and seen them interact with fans and how they behave out of view of the public. Some fans would be shocked at how some of their heroes act, but not Dave Darland. He doesn't act like a corporate robot, he doesn't act like a schmuck or that he's better than anyone. He's the same guy on and off the track. I've never seen him be rude to a fan or brush off an interview. Even when I'm not working, he always acknowledges a hello or a wave, or seems to have a moment just to talk."

"I bet Bob Darland is very proud of his son who is simply a very nice man who is very very good at his profession. Who could ask for anything more?"

I can't add anything more

7/22/15, 5:39 PM   #16
CALandSurveyor8759

It would have been a real treat to see Dave, in his prime, go up against some of the other greats, in their prime. It's truly sad that Rich Vogler left us early; I'm sure the two of them on the same track would have made for some awesome racing. Tom Bigelow also comes to mind considering that Dave just surpassed him in the total wins column. That'd be worth the price of admission in any era.

3 members like this post: fish, jim goerge, racegal
7/22/15, 5:50 PM   #17
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

You don't get to be an all-time leader in race wins by being a sub-par driver, regardless of the era. You also don't get to be called "the People's Champ" by being a jerk. Dave is one of the best, and one of the classiest. I got the chance to introduce myself to him when I bought one of his shirts at the Chili Bowl last year and when I told him that at 61 I was going to be starting my rookie year at Montpelier he sincerely wished me good luck and told me to have fun. It was an honor to be in the same heat race with him at the end of that season at the Kokomo Klash, and a memory that I'll cherish for a lot of years.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

7 members like this post: BrentTFunk, davidm, DirtHawk92, fish, jim goerge, racegal, TQ29m
7/22/15, 6:34 PM   #18
Slidejob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nunn View Post
Good. This thread turned into exactly what I intended it for. Sharing your awesome stories or memories of DD. Rather than reading that garbage filled post from a couple of days ago.

Keep up the stories!
Say what you want. Dave is one of the best. But that rare, special gift, to be able to win nonwing one night, then strap a wing on, and win the next day, he dosn't quite have. Names that come to mind, Kinser, Wolfgang, Swindell, Opperman, Patterson, Vogler, or to be able to jump in a indy car like Foyt, Unser, Jones, Bettenhausen, Vulkivich, Ward, and many more. Dave runs good at what he knows, and is used to. But is he a legend, or one of the best? No. Could he have made it to the next level? No.

7/22/15, 6:43 PM   #19
TQ29m

Thought you wanted off of this forum? Bob

2 members like this post: fish, jim goerge
7/22/15, 6:51 PM   #20
racefan20

I think he may find himself off the forum real soon.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

3 members like this post: fish, jim goerge, TQ29m
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > That damn Dave Darland!