IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Old race track in Cataract, IN
7/20/15, 3:33 PM   #21
racer-x

The EPA already has a plan for dust control. It will come right after they control rivers, streams,ditches and all water on land. I was just at a elevator in Cloverdale and the young wipersnaper there told me he knew exactly were the old track was.

7/20/15, 8:22 PM   #22
TQ29m

In Indiana, it's hard not to find an old race track, kinda like cow pies, they're everywhere! Bob

7/21/15, 7:42 AM   #23
Re: Old race track in Cataract, IN
Unlucky#9

^^^^^ the trick is though to try to get them back in working order. Maybe not to actually host races at, but at least to make a good place to practice. Or better still hold a type of driver training school (I know I'd sign up).

7/21/15, 8:46 AM   #24
racer-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky#9 View Post
^^^^^ the trick is though to try to get them back in working order. Maybe not to actually host races at, but at least to make a good place to practice. Or better still hold a type of driver training school (I know I'd sign up).
A test or training track sounds like a good way to retire a track but the red tape to start a business and the insurance would stop that right in its tracks.

7/21/15, 3:49 PM   #25
amiller24m

Race Count This Year: 12

This is from Google Historical Imagery March 1998
Attached Images
Cataract Speedway.jpg (224.7 KB, 173 views)

4 members like this post: cmiracingvids, Lincoln Chapple, mtek56, t_inmyface
7/22/15, 7:42 AM   #26
cale1421

I ran a legend there twice in 98. First time we pulled in the pits I couldn't figure out where the hell the track was, till I looked down the hill in front of the pits. It was a pretty cool track to race on for as little as they had to work with. Second time we ran there the water truck had broke in the infield and they weren't going to run due to dust ordinance from city. A few drivers got together and got an old fire truck on the hill running and took it down to the track in granny gear cause it had no brakes. They got it watered and we got to run though. I have some old pictures from there somewhere. I also went before the LPS sprint week race last week. Crazy how much its grown up.

1 member likes this post: VSneader2
7/22/15, 2:10 PM   #27
hungthrottlepodcast

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cale1421 View Post
I ran a legend there twice in 98. First time we pulled in the pits I couldn't figure out where the hell the track was, till I looked down the hill in front of the pits. It was a pretty cool track to race on for as little as they had to work with. Second time we ran there the water truck had broke in the infield and they weren't going to run due to dust ordinance from city. A few drivers got together and got an old fire truck on the hill running and took it down to the track in granny gear cause it had no brakes. They got it watered and we got to run though. I have some old pictures from there somewhere. I also went before the LPS sprint week race last week. Crazy how much its grown up.
I would love to see some of those photos. Thanks for the stories.

Another little thing, there is the small general store there in Cataract. Turns out the lady running it had a father that raced sports cars all over the US. He was hitched up with Mazda. If you go in the store ask her to see the photo of him and his friends, it's really cool.

7/22/15, 8:35 PM   #28
racephoto1

Went to a bunch of races there, and shot a bunch, unfortunately the fire took care of the photos. Dickie Gaines won a bunch of shows. I saw Donnie Gentry flip into the stands, and Robbie Buhl drive a legends car race there. My kids also got to know Dick Gaines from going there. It was bad fast, and if you were in the infield and it rained, they would have got you out the next week.It was a STEEP climb out of the infield.

7/22/15, 11:37 PM   #29
Dgentry51

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
Went to a bunch of races there, and shot a bunch, unfortunately the fire took care of the photos. Dickie Gaines won a bunch of shows. I saw Donnie Gentry flip into the stands, and Robbie Buhl drive a legends car race there. My kids also got to know Dick Gaines from going there. It was bad fast, and if you were in the infield and it rained, they would have got you out the next week.It was a STEEP climb out of the infield.
Yeah, and it hurt too!!!

2 members like this post: hbmundy, racephoto1
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Old race track in Cataract, IN