IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Old race track in Cataract, IN
7/17/15, 4:09 PM   #11
k41l

I had the pleasure of racing there once. The banking was incredibly steep. They tried to start the cars going down an equally steep gravel hill, then thought better and rolled the cars down the hill and started them on the track.

Dickie Gaines won that night and I believe it was the night Donnie flipped. They were pooling cash together from track workers pockets to pay the purse, so that was our only trip there.

Good times!

4 members like this post: gentry26x, hungthrottlepodcast, JJMooney, racegal
7/17/15, 4:28 PM   #12
Leohr46

When they had there first practice day it was bad fast for a mini-sprint.

1 member likes this post: hungthrottlepodcast
7/17/15, 5:15 PM   #13
kcarm92

you could run as hard as you wanted going into turn one and two slid off of 3&4 push truck couldnt get to us had to use our 4 wheeler to get us out fun times lol tim helton is who i believe built it he also did the track in green county

7/17/15, 11:24 PM   #14
hungthrottlepodcast

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 20

Those are all great stories.

7/19/15, 9:48 PM   #15
amiller24m

Race Count This Year: 12

Yes, that would be it

7/19/15, 9:56 PM   #16
cmiracingvids

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiller24m View Post
This is literally my back yard, it would explain why I found old fenders and late models wheels in that "swamp".
That is so weird! Looking at the satellite image I can totally see it now! How strange that you live there now, and it was a dirt track just years ago. Hah.

7/19/15, 11:11 PM   #17
openwheelfan1

Okay, I've looked at Google Earth until I'm cross-eyed, and I can't find it. Can someone list the GPS coordinates or some landmark I can look for or something? I'm just curious. Thanks!

7/20/15, 8:07 AM   #18
Re: Old race track in Cataract, IN
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

Just look up cataract, IN 47460. it should be easy to spot on the google map, just south west of the pin point on google by maybe a mile.

Here is the closest address: 2710 S Cataract Rd, Spencer, IN 47460
Last edited by VSneader2; 7/20/15 at 8:09 AM.

7/20/15, 3:15 PM   #19
FrankR63

To: Tim Hilton, Owner
Cataract Raceway
R. R. 2
Spencer, IN 47460

Cause No. A-3747

Designated representatives of the Indiana Department of Environmental Management
(IDEM) investigated a complaint of fugitive dust on October 13, 1996 which indicated that Raceway located at Cataract, Indiana, has violated the following provisions of the Indiana Code (IC) and/or the Indiana Administrative Code (IAC):

Rule 326 IAC 6-4, in part, prohibits the escape of fugitive dust from the boundaries
of the property of the source.

On October 13, 1996, an inspector from OAM observed fugitive dust generated by race cars cross the property line.

In accordance with IC 13-30-3-3, the Commissioner is required to notify you in writing that the Commissioner believes a violation exists and offer you an opportunity to enter into an Agreed Order providing for the actions to correct the violation and for the payment of a civil penalty, if appropriate. The Commissioner is not required to extend this offer for more than sixty (60) days.

If settlement is not reached within sixty (60) days of your receipt of this Notice, the Commissioner may issue an Order pursuant to IC 13-30-3-4, containing the actions you must take to achieve compliance, the required time frames, and an appropriate civil penalty. Pursuant to IC 13-30-4-1, the Commissioner may assess penalties of up to $25,000 per day of any violation.

Notice of Violation
Page 2

The timely entry into an Agreed Order will prevent the necessity of an Order of the Commissioner being issued or the filing of a civil court action. Advantages of entering into an Agreed Order are:

1. You may not be required to admit that any violation occurred.

2. The civil penalty may be less than that imposed under an Order of the Commissioner.

To discuss this matter further, please contact the Enforcement Case Manager, Eric Larsen, at (317) 233-1133 within fifteen (15) days after receipt of this Notice to schedule a conference. If settlement is reached, an Agreed Order will be prepared and sent to you for review and signature.

For the Commissioner:

Date: _______________ Signed on 1/10/97
Patrick Carroll
Director
Office of Enforcement

cc: Owen County Health Department
C. Edward Taylor, Office of Legal Counsel
Gene A, Kelso, Office of Air Management
Eric B. Larsen, Office of Enforcement
Enforcement File

Converted by Andrew Scriven

1 member likes this post: fish
7/20/15, 3:20 PM   #20
FrankR63

"fugitive dust"

Darned ole fugitive dust anyway.

If they want your a$$, they will have your a$$

1 member likes this post: fish
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Old race track in Cataract, IN