IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > POWRi National Midgets At Fairbury, IL
7/9/15, 10:01 AM   #11
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
We're talking Saturday night at Fairbury here.

I'm so sorry to get off topic in another reply earlier. I can see now why I post less and less here these days More and more self appointed moderators.

For the record though to bring it back on topic, I intend to visit Fairbury on Saturday night as well as Little Belleville.

1 member likes this post: opnwhlmnd
7/9/15, 10:49 AM   #12
Re: POWRi National Midgets At Fairbury, IL
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
I'm so sorry to get off topic in another reply earlier. I can see now why I post less and less here these days More and more self appointed moderators.

For the record though to bring it back on topic, I intend to visit Fairbury on Saturday night as well as Little Belleville.
I sincerely apologize for posting something that clearly didn't sit well you. That truly wasn't the intent and I am surely not attempting to be a moderator in any capacity, self appointed or otherwise. I merely speculated that you had inadvertently posted in an unrelated thread.

If we would by chance cross paths at Fairbury Saturday night I would relish the honor of buying you a beer.

Again, I apologize!

3 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, jim goerge, luckybuc97
7/9/15, 5:43 PM   #13
Andrew S. Quinn

No need to apologize really,but consider it accepted. I wasnt the first person to post off topic,and I took it as you were singling me out. I havent posted much lately, and yesterday I had a few posts that were off topic a bit,and some with thin skin apparently didnt care for my posts. I always figure message boards are like a group of people standing around in a circle chatting. You might start off the conversation on one topic,but soon it changes to something else,and then you can even end back where you started in the first place.

I intended on going to Fairbury last year till it got rained out. It would be a new track for me,which gets harder to do every year,as I have been to about everyplace I've wanted to go on my bucket list over the years. POWRi midgets were the reason for going. I've become a big fan of POWRi,and go to many of their races each year. I like the way they run an efficient show,make the fans feel welcome,and get them involved,and the racing is pretty good everywhere they go. Most times I go watch them run,I drive past races that are closer by to get there.I usually go where I feel I will see the best race,and I wouldnt drive all over Illinois and beyond if I thought I was going to see a crappy race. The bummer about going to POWRi races this year is hearing that announcer Jim Childers will be hanging it up after this season. They will have a tough time finding someone that can be interesting,knowledgeable,and engage/entertain the fans as well. Pretty big shoes to fill I think....

4 members like this post: dkdorkboy, jim goerge, luckybuc97, racing2bwithu2
7/9/15, 6:45 PM   #14
ShaneMugavin57

Been to Fairbury 4 times now working for the AMS or those modified mud taxis you call them. Been going to races for 43 years and love sprints and midgets but Fals has produced 3 of the best races in my top ten ever seen. If you don't watch the late models and mods you are a fool.
They have transponders and usually can peel through each class of qualifying in ten minutes, A couple tips for you. If your old and crotchety which is most on this board you will be better suited on the front stretch. The young party crowd is more at home on the backstretch and the view is better because you are closer to the track. Fairbury gets done early most nights but don't be in a hurry to leave. Most teams stay and Fals sometimes supplies cake or pizza or even beer. I have seen the pits still full 2 hours after a race. don't be upset if they work the track a little. They are quick and produce an outstanding surface come feature time. Mike Norris on the Microphone is also one of the best in the business.

1 member likes this post: El1teBr33ze
7/9/15, 8:05 PM   #15
jim goerge

I'm sorry if I started the trouble on this post by saying something about another track that is racing after Fairbury

7/9/15, 8:07 PM   #16
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneMugavin57 View Post
Been to Fairbury 4 times now working for the AMS or those modified mud taxis you call them. Been going to races for 43 years and love sprints and midgets but Fals has produced 3 of the best races in my top ten ever seen. If you don't watch the late models and mods you are a fool.
They have transponders and usually can peel through each class of qualifying in ten minutes, A couple tips for you. If your old and crotchety which is most on this board you will be better suited on the front stretch. The young party crowd is more at home on the backstretch and the view is better because you are closer to the track. Fairbury gets done early most nights but don't be in a hurry to leave. Most teams stay and Fals sometimes supplies cake or pizza or even beer. I have seen the pits still full 2 hours after a race. don't be upset if they work the track a little. They are quick and produce an outstanding surface come feature time. Mike Norris on the Microphone is also one of the best in the business.
We've lived our whole life just about 40 minutes from Fairbury and the original track was built way before I was born so you're not telling us anything we don't already know, especially when you say you've been there all of 4 times. We used to go to watch races there 4 times in one week when they used to double up fair week and the week before. We learned to love sprint car racing at FALS given that we witnessed racing there when they ran wingless sprinters (super modifieds) there on a weekly basis with guys by the name of Bubby Jones, Larry Cannon, Dean Shirley and Bobby Carrigan among many others in sprint cars every week. We were very young but we were there.

We may, or may not watch the fendered cars Saturday night, but if we choose not to I sincerely doubt that makes us fools. Especially since I also seriously doubt that you've ever laid eyes on me or the group we'll be with. Save your sanctimoniously judgmental names for someone you actually know something about.

As far as the backstretch party atmosphere at FALS is concerned, it is actually quite tame in comparison to say...Eldora for the Kings Royal and I'm guessing it's a safe bet that many of the open wheel fans making the effort to attend the Saturday night program have experienced the Kings Royal. The hard core FALS regulars are very provincial and many of them believe that racing without fendered cars is not worthy of their interest but the partying is no more intense than most anywhere else. I'm not old and crotchety but I don't think anyone who is would be offended by the backstretch activities. The back stretch crowd is okay, they just love their late models.

And just for the record, the view is just fine on the front stretch. The only difference is that the 1/2 mile horse track is between the front stretch covered grandstands and the 1/4 mile race track. The sightlines are just fine from the frontstretch grandstands and that comes from someone who's been to FALS at least 50 to 75 times or more over the years.

1 member likes this post: fish
7/9/15, 8:22 PM   #17
ShaneMugavin57

You misunderstood my post it was for those that haven't been. Nothing is wrong with the sight lines in the front stretch and no the backstretch is not that rowdy but there is a age difference. My post was trying to highlight what a great place it is even after you tried to demean the other classes.if your a race fan then be a race fan if you are only an open wheel fan then that's fine but I would suggest keeping the disparaging remarks to yourself because half of these tracks wouldn't exist without them.

7/10/15, 12:10 AM   #18
kidrock

I have sat one the both the front and back stretch, I'm getting older and would rather sit on the front stretch nothing against those on the back stretch just not my game anymore. I wanted to go to the races last year and would really like to go this but, just not sure I'm going to be able to make it happen but, for those of you that are going it should be a great show. Have fun no matter where you sit at. Still hoping I can make it.

1 member likes this post: luckybuc97
7/10/15, 12:33 AM   #19
Flatrightrear

What are the odds that all the rain creating rainouts is getting a lot of us a little grumpy on this board? I told my brother today that it hasn't even felt like summer yet with all the wet, dreary weather we've been having. A month of sunshine and plenty of racing would probably do us all some good. I hope everyone gets their racing fix in this weekend and in the weeks ahead. All the best to those that are coming in for ISW from long distance and may you experience an Indiana dry spell! Hey, I can dream, can't I?

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/11/15, 4:29 PM   #20
Andrew S. Quinn

Rained out. ..

1 member likes this post: fish
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > POWRi National Midgets At Fairbury, IL