IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint Week Advice
7/8/15, 8:54 AM   #11
Re: Sprint Week Advice
Jonr

As a race car fan, you should try to arrange your travels to include a trip to the Indy Motor Speedway. The museum is great and the tour is also great. Spend the extra money on the tour and do the behind the scenes tour. It is worth the trip.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dickster, mc/rider, Scooter
7/8/15, 9:10 AM   #12
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

At Kokomo if you sit in the turn 4 end of the stands be prepared to get hit by dirt clogs, but in my opinion it is the best spot to sit.

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, SPRINTCAR
7/8/15, 9:13 AM   #13
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSneader2 View Post
At Kokomo if you sit in the turn 4 end of the stands be prepared to get hit by dirt clogs, but in my opinion it is the best spot to sit.
It's also closest to the Pork Chop Sandwiches...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, VSneader2
7/8/15, 9:50 AM   #14
versailles

A few years back I saw license plates from 26 states at Gas City. Several from Iowa. You will be impressed at the fan support and quality of race cars. Beware, you will want to see the whole series after the first 3 nights.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, koolaid89, Mattvp52
7/8/15, 9:54 AM   #15
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
It's also closest to the Pork Chop Sandwiches...
yes those are the must have concession item.

1 member likes this post: koolaid89
7/8/15, 10:20 AM   #16
hungthrottlepodcast

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 20

Got a small group of us coming down from WI for the second half of Sprint Week (Terre Haute through Haubstadt). Plan on getting early to track at haubstadt and going into the pits. Any ideas on what would be one other track to do that at between Lincoln Park and Bloomington? Thanks

7/8/15, 12:09 PM   #17
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungthrottlepodcast View Post
Got a small group of us coming down from WI for the second half of Sprint Week (Terre Haute through Haubstadt). Plan on getting early to track at haubstadt and going into the pits. Any ideas on what would be one other track to do that at between Lincoln Park and Bloomington? Thanks
Lincoln Park has parking on both the front and back part of the track, with camper parking on the front. I always arrive early and park in the back and sit in the pit grandstands at Lincoln Park because they have an excellent view of the track and they are in the pits near the back straight. You can also go back into the pits any time you want. A good concession stand and decent restrooms are right back of them. A downside is that the speakers in the pit grandstands are hard to hear and at least one of them doesn't work at all, but I am told that the speakers on the front are no prize either. The main grandstand is on the front straight. If you park on the front and go to the pits, you walk down a fairly long, steep hill. Obviously you have walk up it to get back to the front. The pit at Bloomington is on the back also, but the view from the pit stands really is not very good. They sit low in relation to the track and the lights from the front stretch are right in your eyes, making it even harder to see. If you are going to go to the pits at only one, I would make it Lincoln Park and park in the back and sit in the pit grandstands.
Last edited by dirtnonwingfan; 7/8/15 at 12:11 PM.

3 members like this post: DirtHawk92, jim goerge, luckybuc97
7/8/15, 4:46 PM   #18
racen857

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 20

Ok being from Pa and being in your shoes afew years ago. I can not belive I am the first to post this www.halfmoonbrewery.com/ best place around to eat. If in in Kokomo you MUST try this place. Still trying to convince my wife the go home past it. "Something about an hour or 2 out of ur way???" Women????

Kokomo pit bleachers bring a helmet and tearoffs you'll be just fine!

www.halfmoonbrewery.com/

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
7/8/15, 8:19 PM   #19
Jerry Shaw

If you go to Kokomo, get a pit pass. During hot laps, qualifying or heats, if you stand in the area above turns 1 and 2, you'll get a view that you can not see anywhere else. You'll get pelted relentlessly with dirt balls in that zone, but it's worth it.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 7/8/15 at 8:22 PM.

4 members like this post: 1BIGracefan, DirtHawk92, dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge
7/8/15, 8:46 PM   #20
Iowa Sprint Fan

Hi, Thanks for all of the advice. Even found out where to eat, guess I'll come home fatter and broke. We're from the SE Corner of the state, between Burlington & Ft. Madison. And to be honest, I'm kinda returning to my roots with the non-wings. Been going to Knoxville over 50 years, they didn't wing'em up till 82 after a pretty bad night,(few years actually). We went to Bloomington and Haubstadt last year. And my 25 year old son hasn't been the same!! Even went off here a month or so ago and left me at home so he could catch the Outlaws at Kokomo, and then a couple non wing shows before he came home. I haven't forgiven him for that yet. Again, thanks for all the help and knowledge, and hope to meet some great fans and have some even better racing.

4 members like this post: DirtHawk92, dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge, rclaridge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint Week Advice