IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT: Austin Dillion' Wreck
7/6/15, 9:55 AM   #1
flatout

NAPCAR dodged a huge bullet last night in that no spectators were seriously injured and Austin Dillion was able to walk away from that wreck. We have seen this scenario play out far too many times. What is it going to take for nascar to truly address restrictor plate racing......a car going through the fence?

I know, I know, napcar....not real racing, who cares but a car is going to go through one of those fences sooner or later. Consequences will be tragic for the spectators and huge on motorsports in the country. Hopefully the powers that be aren't just saying, phew we got away with another one.
Last edited by flatout; 7/6/15 at 10:17 AM.

3 members like this post: hoscalecody, Pat O'Connor Fan, team3521
7/6/15, 1:05 PM   #2
SpfldMile

I think one of the biggest problems is that NASCAR fell in love with the tri-oval. It gives the fans a better view of a larger portion of the track, but it also puts the fans close to the most dangerous area of the track. The tri-oval is usually a wide open turn, and drivers take different lines through it. Like was stated above, restrictor plates result in pack racing. When the whole field is going that fast through that section, if something happens, the trajectory of the cars and parts is right at the crowd. It's a recipe for disaster.

1 member likes this post: TQ29m
7/6/15, 3:00 PM   #3
Re: OT: Austin Dillion' Wreck
fish

It looked to me like the catch fence did exactly what it is designed to do.

7/6/15, 4:12 PM   #4
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
It looked to me like the catch fence did exactly what it is designed to do.
I don't know. They are playing with fire. With a whole the size of what was left after Dillion took out the fence what happens if another car back in the pack hits a tire or any piece of Dillions car an send it unobstructed into the stands. Or worst another car also flips in the same area. I fear what the fallout to racing would be following something like that.

3 members like this post: flatout, Pat O'Connor Fan, team3521
7/6/15, 4:31 PM   #5
racer-x

Don't even think if a few spectators are killed in a cup or indy car race that the PC media won't want to ban all racing. Look what they did to the confederate flag in a weeks time. Heck I couldn't even watch dukes of hazard this weekend cause they took it off the air. The uninformed american will question me the informed american will agree.

6 members like this post: dirt330, duel, nathans1012, Pat O'Connor Fan, team3521, TNRustler
7/6/15, 4:32 PM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Get rid of the restrictor plates and the front down-force. They'll be forced to lift and be spread out. Its cars getting together, Usually 5-10 of them causing all this. Not the speed.

Used to be there'd be five cars on the lead lap at the end.

5 members like this post: flatout, interpreter66, mc/rider, Speedracer, team3521
7/7/15, 1:02 AM   #7
team3521

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatout View Post
NAPCAR dodged a huge bullet last night in that no spectators were seriously injured and Austin Dillion was able to walk away from that wreck. We have seen this scenario play out far too many times. What is it going to take for nascar to truly address restrictor plate racing......a car going through the fence?

I know, I know, napcar....not real racing, who cares but a car is going to go through one of those fences sooner or later. Consequences will be tragic for the spectators and huge on motorsports in the country. Hopefully the powers that be aren't just saying, phew we got away with another one.
I totally agree with you 100%!
Something needs to be done proactively to keep that really bad one from happening. It'll screw us all if it does happen. The insurance thieves will have an excuse to jack the rates up so high, the smaller tracks might not be able to afford to stay around for us to race at.
Last edited by team3521; 7/8/15 at 1:13 AM.

7/7/15, 7:03 AM   #8
Panama

I think these statements all apply to IndyCar on the big ovals too. After watching Fontana, I thought they were very lucky they didn't have "The big one" at Fontana!

But, in all honesty if a car had gone into the stands at Fontana no fans would have been injured, the stands were empty.

Joking aside, it is a scary scenario that both major American racing series had better be looking at.

A 1955 Le Mans type accident could be the end of racing as we know it.

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, flatout, Task Force, team3521
7/7/15, 7:50 AM   #9
brian2h

r u kidding me ah racing and just about everything is dangerous if ur scared stay home and watch it on tv i just hope a tornado or the tree in your front yard or a street car doesnt get you. restricter plates are the cause ? there r plenty of wrecks at tracks with out them. have u ever been to gas city you cant get much closer to the track than that.we risk our lives with every breath we take no matter what we r doing. and really what r the odds of u as a fan getting killed at a track??? go by a lotto ticket u got way better odds. everything doesnt need to be fixed and you could play the what if game all day long. lol jmo.

6 members like this post: 2HWrench, duel, fish, mc/rider, monkeyboy, xoxide
7/7/15, 8:57 AM   #10
duel

The catch fence did it's job. That car was pitched at speed, full force into it. I also did not see where Brisco's crash was as bad as the media mad it out to be. Indycar will probably use it for advertisement. He sad he was having a fun until he crashed. That indycar race at Fontana was one of the best I have seen in a few years.

1 member likes this post: fish
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT: Austin Dillion' Wreck