IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > upright radiator on midgets
6/24/15, 9:37 AM   #1
upright radiator on midgets
xoxide

I've seen a few manufacturers offering upright (standup) radiator setups on midgets lately. I've been having a ton of cooling issues on my car lately and have been considering changing over to a stand up setup as well.

Was wondering if anyone on here had any experience/input on how eefective an upright setup works on the midgets?I've only seen a handful of people running them so far.

6/24/15, 10:37 AM   #2
R.Drang

My upright works pretty good. Plus I think it's a little easier to bleed to air out on an upright.

1 member likes this post: har59
6/24/15, 1:57 PM   #3
LEADERS EDGE

What type of motor? Any recent engine work done?

6/24/15, 3:34 PM   #4
Re: upright radiator on midgets
xoxide

MWR Chevy Ecotec. Its 6 races from fresh.

I think its the ****** Afco dual pass radiator and tiny airbox..... Right now the option is a 17x18 stand up radiator (Saldana or FSR), or else a Spike 17x 16 7/8 standard laydown radiator with a larger air box. (to fit the larger radiator)

6/24/15, 5:08 PM   #5
LEADERS EDGE

Will it cool down under yellow? Typically, if the fins are still in good shape....It should still cool. If the air box isn't sealed it could be leaking air past the radiator. Did it cool properly last year?
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 6/24/15 at 5:15 PM.

6/24/15, 7:44 PM   #6
TQ29m

I know this is going to sound dumb, or whatever, but if you can, put a light behind it, and see if you can see thru it, I had a problem with mine, and I have a good friend at C&R, and he came and looked at it, and told me in a second what the problem was, the cap was too much for the core, and it had expanded the tubes, thereby crushing the cooling fins, and stopping any air flow thru it at all, that would be my first look! Bob

1 member likes this post: fish
6/24/15, 9:33 PM   #7
Geoff Kaiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
MWR Chevy Ecotec. Its 6 races from fresh.

I think its the ****** Afco dual pass radiator and tiny airbox..... Right now the option is a 17x18 stand up radiator (Saldana or FSR), or else a Spike 17x 16 7/8 standard laydown radiator with a larger air box. (to fit the larger radiator)
FYI...This is not a knock against afco because i think they are a great company, but we had 1 of those smaller afco midget radiators on a mopar dirt midget and the thing ran 230 all the time. Went to the bigger spike style laydown and it doesnt even reach 200 with no other changes at all.

1 member likes this post: fish
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > upright radiator on midgets