IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Story about Denny&Danica (a song)
2/25/15, 9:15 AM   #21
Re: Story about Denny&Danica (a song)
SWScaleChassis

Every year I test the NASCAR waters by watching the 500 to see if I care to invest my time into following the rest of the year. My conclusion after this one: NASCAR has put a production element as a priority over a quality program. Driving talent and general Racing 101 has taken a backseat to "Its what the fans want".

Flagmen should NEVER wear helmets. Anything to impede the vision of the man with the control of the flags and lights (Although I know they hit the switches up in the tower) is a flatout dumb idea. Take the flagstand down and eliminate the job at that point.

The group qualifying needs to go. Or at least a limit of cars on track at a given time in a give session. Practice, etc.
I did some math after the 'big one' in practice. Of the 326 Chili Bowl entries, 61 of those attributed to the Flip Count. For sake of argument, lets assume they all were junked. That makes 18% of the total entries that were retired from the event due to damage. Take that same number (18%) and apply it to the 49 entries to the Daytona 500... Gives you 9 cars. 9 in the whole event. I think they wadded up 11 in the Shootout, another 8 in group qualifying, 4 or so in practice.
"Top Tier" racing talent doesn't wad up that many cars by their own mistakes.

Dad, I agree with your point as for the 'rivalry' concerned. That was definitely entertaining, and kept folks engaged. Talking points around my workplace at least. I think we need more rivalries in all forms. Limit it at the point of bloodshed and broken bones, but middle fingers, dirty sliders, cussfests... We had a rule at my home track: Fight in the pits, get arrested. Fight on my front stretch, get a hundred bucks. If the fans want to see that over racing, then we can appease those folks, while possibly hooking them with some killer racing in the meantime.

I'll probably give Atlanta a chance if its not iced out. But if the WWE tactics continue to prevail over quality racing, they'll lose me. But I will tip my hat to the 200 MPH 3 wide parade 8 rows deep. That was impressive to say the least. Not the coolest thing ive ever seen on a racetrack, but for the NASCAR rookie fan watching to see what Danica was gonna do to Denny, maybe enough to have em tune in for the race next week.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Story about Denny&Danica (a song)