IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC HPD Series
2/24/15, 8:28 AM   #61
Re: USAC HPD Series
DAD

About the time the Focus Midget was introduced, The Buckey Mini Sprints managed to secured a few races at 16th street Speedway in Indy due to the fact than an AMSA driver showed his ASS literally to the fans . Five or six Focus cars showed up to race and Bill May graciously gave his OK for them to race with us. These were little 600cc cars and managed to lap the Focus Midgets in hot laps. They did not stay to race. This past year we raced with a few Focus Midgets at Montpelier and those little cars were fast, I put it off to development and head work that would have made them USAC illegal.. We raced with Honda>>Focus and GM at Du Quoin, the biggest difference I could tell in the cars was the level of noise they produced.

How much Horsepower did the car that Chet raced with PowerI Produce??

I have been loosing it for the last 10 years or so>>>>I wish old age on you guys also.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 2/24/15 at 8:31 AM.

2/24/15, 8:39 AM   #62
LEADERS EDGE

I forget the exact inception of the Focus Series, but it was well after 16th street closed down. Keith may have still been working with the original concept of the series which was with the Older Honda Platform. I'm not sure what those cars would have been unless they were possibly Quad 4s.

1 member likes this post: DAD
2/24/15, 9:10 AM   #63
DAD

It could have been Kenyon's, but I still remember Focus for some reason, what year did they close down 16th st?

Think this is bad>>> Facebook has a new group for old QM's and we have a bunch of old geriatrics sitting around trying to figure out what we were doing 60 years ago.

Honest Dad himself

2/24/15, 10:16 AM   #64
cbhhms17439

Race Count This Year: 40
Race Count Last Year: 40

I raced at the 16th street speedway with Bill May and the 600 uprights the ford focus cars wasnt even around back then and we didnt have any kenyon cars running with us at all although it was a split show with the midgets

2/24/15, 11:06 AM   #65
DAD

cb

They whoever it was loaded up and left right after the hot laps of the first time we raced up there and didn't come back.

I sponsored the $1000.00 to win race up there with the Buckeys. That race was some kind of Union appreciation night and the grandstands were packed. We had 50+ cars and they didn't know what to do with us (car counts can be too big). I don't remember who won the darned thing.

Bill May I hope you are chuckling.

What year did 16th st close up?

Getting back on the subject how many crews have their little Honda cars ready to race as of today?

Honest Dad himself

2/24/15, 12:17 PM   #66
sp33dy

2/24/15, 12:38 PM   #67
LEADERS EDGE

Opened 97 and closed 99

2/24/15, 2:01 PM   #68
DAD

That place sure was bright I can't imagine the cost of lightning it for a night. It was a neat race track with bases instead of turns and you could make your own grove if you wanted. Too bad it didn't get more support, but I bet that was not the only reason for it's demise.

Honest Dad himself

Does anybody know what happened to the HPD midgets?

2/24/15, 2:16 PM   #69
cbhhms17439

Race Count This Year: 40
Race Count Last Year: 40

AFL/CIO union I think gave out free tics to there members in Indianaoplis I think not sure I can recall they had a large hospitalitly tent set up in the parking lot that night they had the most cars get on there heads that i have ever seen in one night inculding me I got cut off going into #3 by someone we will leave nameless which dont matter anymore and caught one of those half barried tires and rolled 3 times down the front straight away if you called them straight aways still had a lot of fun that night

2/24/15, 2:58 PM   #70
DAD

cb

Doug got up higher than the brick wall in the outfield, he made it into one of them "And they walked away video's"

We loaned a fuel pump to a guy who promptly put us out of the ball park while running second, then 2 laps later he overheated and pulled into the infield and THEN as if that wasn't enough we didn't even get our fuel pump back.

Now about them Honda Midgets?

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 2/24/15 at 3:11 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC HPD Series