IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How old is old enough?
2/9/15, 12:33 AM   #1
How old is old enough?
figjam88

We see a lot of youngsters come through indy trying to make it, but what do you guys think? Should there be an age limit or requirements? Never put much thought into it, but came across an article that got me thinking. Yeah, there are the Kyle Larson's, Jeff Gordon's but they are so few and far between...the likelihood of someone just hitting that pinnacle seems like a long shot.

Here's the article that got me thinking about it.
http://www.sprintcarinsider.com/news/old-old-enough/

1 member likes this post: WinglessLovers
2/9/15, 4:45 AM   #2
Re: How old is old enough?
jyoung8j

I myself believe 12 is way to young for a 12 yr old to step into a 900+hp sprint car.. But then again im not his parent.. He will be looked at as awesome doing great whatever till he screws up one night and really tears up some equipment or gets hurt. Parents are always in a hurry to get to next level when indeed they dont realize doesnt matter how good he or she is if you dont have a ton of money and i mean a ton your kid will never see a nascar track in a car. I thought i was forcing my daughter to fast when i wanted to put her in a mini sprint at 12 geesh couldnt imagine a sprint..

2 members like this post: bpa94, sprinter6p
2/9/15, 9:21 AM   #3
SWScaleChassis

I read through this earlier this morning. I thought it was an excellent write up.

Yeah, limiting the age will piss some folks off. But examine it this way.. If Johnny Slidejob starts at 5 in a kart, and classes (translated: his folks pay) up to a 410 in 7 years, can we really assume its raw, pure talent. Like, track champ 2 years in a Kart, 2 years in an outlaw kart, and 2 years in a micro?

Its gotta be a $$ paved road to the top. I mean, hell, it is possible I guess. But not realistic. I dunno. 16 makes more sense. Still young, but at least he can save on custom suit tailoring.

-Justin

1 member likes this post: midget39
2/9/15, 9:38 AM   #4
bobby01

We are having this debate in my area now. There is a family that has bought a pavement late model for a 13 year old girl.I'm not saying that she isn't capable of driving it, but is this devaluing are sport? Are they going to say if this little kid can do this anyone can? Are you going to go to a minor league baseball or football game if she is the starting pitcher or quarterback?? And then God forbid that this kid is involved in accident that has terrible injuries or a fatality how is this going to effect this kid for their rest of their life. And don't you think the the media would have a field day with this?

2/9/15, 9:43 AM   #5
SWScaleChassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby01 View Post
We are having this debate in my area now. There is a family that has bought a pavement late model for a 13 year old girl.I'm not saying that she isn't capable of driving it, but is this devaluing are sport? Are they going to say if this little kid can do this anyone can? Are you going to go to a minor league baseball or football game if she is the starting pitcher or quarterback?? And then God forbid that this kid is involved in accident that has terrible injuries or a fatality how is this going to effect this kid for their rest of their life. And don't you think the the media would have a field day with this?
I didn't mention the liability thing earlier. But I could read the headline now. "12 year old killed in winged death machine. Congress to ban dirt racing."

5 members like this post: PIT CART, Racer1039, rdzsprint, RickyBobby, sprintracer82
2/9/15, 10:22 AM   #6
HurstBros0

18... The government recognizes them as legal , they have finished high school , they signed up for the draft , let them race. Until then, keep them in a kiddie class and get all the experience they can get. By the time they are 18 they may want to do something else rather than live vicariously for their parents...

2/9/15, 11:11 AM   #7
DAD

Dan

When you and I were kids you had to be 18 years old to get into the pits, and women of any age were frowned upon for even thinking about getting into the pits. That is not to say we did not manage our ways in. Green on a race cars and peanuts were also taboo.

Times change and the way people view priorities also change. Now we are a youth based culture. we are obsessed with youth and beauty. TV has a lot to do in what the entertainment people decide is a good investment for drivers. They must have some talent but they must also be good looking enough to sell a product. Perhaps some very good drivers have been passed over in the search for the perfect selling machine. Being a stand out driver is not enough.

The biggest proponent for the young good looking driver is NASCAR they depend on sponsors and TV revenue to support their business. Indy car has chosen to place its priorities on the money the driver can bring to the table as opposed to their looks. It seems like some parents in their quest for their youngsters success just don't know when to start. Jeff Gordon has always been the poster boy for young drivers and rightly so. But before him we had many other young kids fighting just to be race drivers. The names Critter Malone and Sleepy Tripp come to mind.

To slow down the influx and demand for young the big time sanctioning organizations will have to be the ones to step in and place a reasonable age for competition. With the Jeff Gordon also came a legal loop hole for parents. It is called "Emancipation" The parents get a lawyer and go before a judge and "Emancipate" their kid. Once meant as a way for the parents to be free of a troublesome kid it is now the way that they skirt the age rule in racing. By being "Emancipated" the state recognizes the youth as an adult with all the responsibilities of an adult and they are allowed to race under age.

Kids all mature at different rates. Their driving ability matures very rapidly as seen in Quarter Midget> Jr Sprint and Go Kart competition. It is much easier to teach a 7 year old to race than a 37 year old, they take to it likes ducks to water. However it is the emotional maturity that bothers me. What do they know about life and death at 12 years old, what do they know about serious injury, Even at 30 years of age I have witnessed drivers do some pretty immature moves, is a 12 year old likely to make more of these moves and do they fully recognize the possible results that could come from these actions.

Like Chris Economaki I say let them all race. BUT why not slow them down just a little. Make the age for racing on Half Mile tracks and larger 18 years of age. On quarter mile tracks down let them race whatever they want, and let Mom and Dad take responsibility for their kid.

Honest Dad himself

2/9/15, 11:17 AM   #8
JK

I would say every situation is different but in most cases 12 is a little too young. Most 12 year olds are not mature enough mentally or physically. 16 seems to be OK with me that's legal driving age.

1 member likes this post: bitterwind
2/9/15, 11:22 AM   #9
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

If they want to race full sized Sprint at that age why not limit them to 305's then once they tune 16 they can step up to 360's and then at 18 to 410's.
Last edited by davidm; 2/9/15 at 1:13 PM.

2/9/15, 11:40 AM   #10
Jonr

I am old school on this one. 12 years old to ENTER the pits. 16 years old and a valid drivers liscense to race a car.

As dangerous as the race track is, I was always more worried about being hurt or hurting someone when I was in the pits. Having youngsters (8-12) years old in the pits running around and not paying attention is a big safety concern.

1 member likes this post: Racer1039
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How old is old enough?