IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ring & pinion question
1/1/15, 8:34 PM   #1
Ring & pinion question
Distel18Sprint

First off, low budget racer here. Tech question on ring and pinion. I have a bull dog rear end with only about 10 shows on it. Ring gear looks excellent, not pits, grooves, scoring, nothing. Teeth feel very, very smooth. Pinion...all looks good, same as ring gear, except one small, approximately 1/16" round pit mark. Not very deep, just enough that you can feel it. Is this something to be concerned about or should the ring and pinion be changed?

1/1/15, 9:05 PM   #2
LEADERS EDGE

My name is Scott Baue. My family and I own Leaders Edge. We rebuild rear ends for many teams for most of the classes of midgets and sprint cars. The lifespan left on your pinion depends on the motor you run and if you run wings and the quality of the grease you run and how often you change the grease. If you run wings, I would replace it immediately. Non wing with a thumper motor I would say you can get another 10 or so shows out of it without much worry. I would change the grease every night make sure you are running a quality grease.

1/1/15, 9:30 PM   #3
Re: Ring & pinion question
Distel18Sprint

Mr. Baue, so, reading between the lines, it sounds like I need to replace it. We will be running non-wing with a 12-410. Is it safe to say that since there is a pit mark, it will continue to get worse and no real way to know how long it will last? What kind of grease do you suggest?

1/1/15, 10:09 PM   #4
LEADERS EDGE

Correct. I like synthetics like royal purple, red line, Alisyn, Gibbs, Schaffer etc. I also like Cen Pe co,

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ring & pinion question