IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Vermilion County Speedway Strange Tweet Message
12/5/14, 1:02 PM   #1
Vermilion County Speedway Strange Tweet Message
Avon Open Wheel fan

Just got a tweet from Vermilion County Speedway that said rest in Peace. Does anyone know what happened and if the track is really closed down?

www.illinimidgets.com

12/5/14, 1:04 PM   #2
Re: Vermilion County Speedway Strange Tweet Message
Avon Open Wheel fan

Guess it is official another track lost.

Article Date: 12/5/2014
Views: 103
Rest In Peace VCS.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: DECEMBER 5, 2014.
DANVILLE, IL.
Attention Vermilion County Speedway Fans, Supporters, and Participants:

Middlefork Motorsports Promotions, and all those involved with bringing back racing to the
famed Vermilion County Speedway, would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank
each and every Fan, Driver, Crew member, and all those who have loyally supported VCS in
It’s return to action. Although not a return to it’s glory years, the VCS resurrection has slowly gained momentum on its successful new beginning with hopes of someday elevating its status up to one of the
premiere dirt track racing facilities in the Midwest.
However, just as the "Success Train" had started rolling, it has been stopped dead in it’s
tracks by the Vermilion County Fair Board. At this time, the promotional team of Brad Key, and Bryan Clendenen (Middlefork
Motorsports Promotions) is announcing that all operations, including promotion of racing
events at VCS, under their direction, will cease immediately.
“It’s an unfortunate situation for all of us that have put our hearts and souls into making this
happen, but the Vermillion County Fair Board left us no alternative when they nearly doubled
the rental amount for the speedway, and refused to compromise on the sale of alcohol to offset the increase."
Bryan Clendenen: "There is just absolutely no way to survive in this type of business environment. Neither Brad or I
have the kind of financing or resources to risk in this situation, so we have no choice but to call it
quits.”
“I(Bryan)have been coming to this place (VCS) for all but 10 years of my life. It’s almost like a home to
me. I grew up watching my heroes here, and then racing with them. A community of racing
family, and friends has been built around this speedway over the years. It will be a sad time for
many to see it’s final demise. R.I.P. Vermilion County Speedway, thank you for the memories.“
At the time of this press release, plans are being made for the removal and sale of all
equipment, buildings, and property belonging to M.M.P. and associated with track operations.
Those interested in purchasing any or all of these items please contact Bryan or Brad. Contact
information will be available on the VCS Facebook page soon.
Despite shutting down track operations, M.M.P is also working on disbursement of point
fund awards for those classes involved, and possibly a small banquet/party for the
presentations. Information will also be announced and posted as it becomes available.
It is unclear as to the fate of VCS, but many of the Vermilion County Fair Board members have
made mention of their intentions to completely dismantle the entire racing facility to make way for
a parking lot, or other venues. To some, this may seem too ridiculous to comprehend, but the
reality of the situation is that times have changed. Racing has reached a point where it has
become cost prohibitive for not only the competitors but for spectators as well.
The future is bleak for the Vermilion County Speedway. If you are a fan of dirt track racing
please take notice. The sport that we hold near and dear to our hearts is on the verge of
extinction. Support your local tracks! Appreciate what they are giving you, and the people
that work so hard to make it happen. Enjoy it today, for it may be gone tomorrow.

Promoters Brad Key, and Bryan Clendenen

Director of Public Relations: Grady Crippin
Asst. Dir. of Public Relations: Patrick Davis

Grady Crippin
Grady Crippin on Dec 05, 2014

www.illinimidgets.com

12/5/14, 1:35 PM   #3
TQ29m

From what I've heard, nothing is going well in that part of IL, sad, but nothing seems to work, political is what I hear! Bob

3 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, DAD, Pat O'Connor Fan
12/5/14, 2:14 PM   #4
DAD

It sure does sound like a Fair Board Thing to me. Most people would not understand.. Sometimes results of an ******** can bring about such an event, sometimes people sitting on the Board lacking a lot of business savvy see all that money coming in and decide they want more of it, unfortunately they don't see the money going out.

What they need to do is hire a good promoter>>> pay them a 6 figure salary>>> and then they can enjoy all the profits.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: jjracer636
12/5/14, 2:35 PM   #5
wingedsprint47

Raced there in 2013 with MOWA. Nice facility, would be a real shame for the track to be torn down. Hopefully someone can step up, but sounds like it's a lost cause.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Vermilion County Speedway Strange Tweet Message