IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora Crowd
5/12/08, 1:08 PM   #11
Re: Eldora Crowd
duel

i just love eldora but it's been a long time since i could sit in turn 4 on the terrace and not get really dirty. i don't mind it once in a while but it has become the norm in the last couple of years. Saturday night i had to move after the 1st heat. went to turn 1 and could see but still a cloud of dust all night with no water before the main even. several of us left the speedway (pole day) around 4pm to make eldora. several others stayed because they figured it would be dry and slick. i just wish someone would take the track prep more seriously. i know poeple that have been going there for years and years that have given up on going anymore. :confused:

5/12/08, 1:18 PM   #12
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by duel View Post
i just love eldora but it's been a long time since i could sit in turn 4 on the terrace and not get really dirty. i don't mind it once in a while but it has become the norm in the last couple of years. Saturday night i had to move after the 1st heat. went to turn 1 and could see but still a cloud of dust all night with no water before the main even. several of us left the speedway (pole day) around 4pm to make eldora. several others stayed because they figured it would be dry and slick. i just wish someone would take the track prep more seriously. i know poeple that have been going there for years and years that have given up on going anymore. :confused:
I also left IMS to get to Eldora to see the show. They were talking about approaching weather from the West on the PA so that might have been why they didn't do any track prep prior to the feature. It seems that they were in the hustle mode just trying to get the show in.

As far as the crowd goes, I am sure that gas prices, pole day, Haubstadt show and the race being a make up date all contributed to the smaller crowd. Even with the dust, I still enjoyed the show.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

5/12/08, 1:33 PM   #13
Bubba Smith

Let's face the facts. Alot of the die hard USAC crowd is getting older and either not able to go anymore or are on limited funds now.

I think back how nice it would have been to be retired in 1965 when I thought USAC sprint cars were the ONLY SHOW in town. I rarely go to any races anymore because most of the people I knew back in the day are gone or don't go anymore. I'm just afraid the show has gotten old for some of us and the younger people all they know is fenders.

Bubba Smith

5/12/08, 2:22 PM   #14
Offy22

I believe that "they" are afraid to make a heavy track at Eldora for the non-wing racing.

5/12/08, 2:28 PM   #15
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Smith View Post
Let's face the facts. Alot of the die hard USAC crowd is getting older and either not able to go anymore or are on limited funds now.

I think back how nice it would have been to be retired in 1965 when I thought USAC sprint cars were the ONLY SHOW in town. I rarely go to any races anymore because most of the people I knew back in the day are gone or don't go anymore. I'm just afraid the show has gotten old for some of us and the younger people all they know is fenders.

Bubba Smith
Some of that's true, but it's too much of a generalization, IMO. The automatic, be there rain or shine fan base has gotten older. There is still a fan base out there, though. But, you're not going to get them unless you're willing to promote your event. Several examples come to mind. Terre Haute was a rescheduled event, on a Sunday and had a real nice crowd. Brownstown had a respectable crowd, even though it was on a cold and blustery day. Sprint Week always has huge crowds. The middle of the week, Kamp Motor Speedway events had some very full stands. And I can't count the number of times I have been packed into Jiggs' grandstand, like a sardine. The days of just scheduling a USAC race and watching 'em pour in are over.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

5/12/08, 3:03 PM   #16
dfish

I think SUPERDUKE and Offy22 nailed it: Lack of promotion and track prep.
In the later years it seemed Earl didn't want the track heavy for the non-wingers (for safety reasons, one has to assume), even though there are generally more, if less spectacular, crashes on a slick track. I really thought that would change when Stewart bought it, but it hasn't. I think people are tired of seeing the thing slick off during qualifying or heat racing.
I can't speak to the lack of promotion too much, but if Duke lives in Sidney and didn't hear a word about it, that doesn't bode well. Seems the days of a guy really going out and getting a crowd are over. Just my $.02.

5/12/08, 3:31 PM   #17
duel

i thought the racing was good and the track was fast for most of the night. it just seems as if the clay has a whole lot of sand in it. i'm sure those guys are trying the best they can to keep the dust down. i just wonder if the large outlaw and late model crowds notice how bad it has become or if they even care....

5/12/08, 4:12 PM   #18
chad

I just hope they get the water truck up and running so DW will have something to do when the prelude to the dream comes around!! The heats had some good racing but I have never seen a non wing sprint car show that dusty before !!! I know the gas prices stink but if they don't try to do something about the track prep, I will save my money and spend it at Gas City and Kokomo !

5/12/08, 4:16 PM   #19
Joe Kidd

Here I thought the track was pretty decent compared to the past except for the ruff stuff in turn three. But what the heck do I know. I was there also for the WOO and Allstar shows and the track seemed better than the previous years. Oh well.

5/12/08, 4:46 PM   #20
BrentTFunk

I think the another reason for a small crowd was nascar racing on tv. The casual fan can sit at home watch it, and get live updates from Eldora and Haubtadt. As for the track, I sat near duel,and it was dusty, but the track never took rubber. I will take dust over rubber. I am afraid if they would have watered it may have gotten rough in 3 and 4. Remember last years opener and everyone complained about that.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora Crowd