IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why wings for 305 class?
10/14/14, 3:21 PM   #71
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

Dam!! That's ironic!! My ex wife was a soft tail ! She ran off and now I got a sportster!!

4 members like this post: darnall, jim goerge, Jonr, kart31rac
10/14/14, 3:47 PM   #72
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT CART View Post
I have an idea, the people that hate running wings try it for one year. Then sell them in the off season along with the 305 build a 410. When I got my first Harley it was a sportster rode it for a while then bought a softail.
Shoulda bought a 'busa!! More accurate analogy. LOL

10/14/14, 7:43 PM   #73
Re: Why wings for 305 class?
Dalton Dietrich

Race Count This Year: 55

@Racer12
As far as the rebuilds on motors...for one, i don't feel that wings make that big of a difference. two, racesaver 305's can be run for years on end. I know teams running motors 4 years. Now, that isn't to say that rebuilding every season isnt best, but it isn't required. and 15-20 races is obnoxious (not bashing you, i'm making a point). Even to refresh every season there is no reason you cannot run 30 races +

2 members like this post: fish, Kellen Conover
10/14/14, 8:24 PM   #74
Will Shunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellen Conover View Post
I really feel that if they are going to do it, there has to be a distinguishing factor between the 305's and the 410' for casual fans sake. It just doesn't make sense to have two classes of cars that look identical running the same night. Something to think about though for anyone interested in running a 305 though would be to try and talk to another track that didn't run on a fri night to set up a non wing class so you could perhaps get more use out of a car. Maybe paragon would start a class just for that etc.
At Fremont Ohio they run wing 410's and wing 305's. We can tell the difference because the wing 305's run closer and provide more side by side racing. The wing 410's just run around in single file in all the races except the feature when traffic might impact the high speed parade.

4 members like this post: fish, hoscalecody, jjracer636, Kellen Conover
10/14/14, 8:50 PM   #75
Kellen Conover

Thanks Wil,

I guess that's what I was trying to convey but just did a poor job at it. It needs to be it's own class, have it's own identity. Again that's just my opinion.

10/14/14, 9:17 PM   #76
Dalton Dietrich

Race Count This Year: 55

Here is proof from another NE 305 driver. Just posted this on his facebook page.

"The tank is coming out!! 45+ shows without a single issue. And still fast enough to run top in time trials and finish 7th with some of the best 305s around! Heading back to Thomas Rider so he can work his magic!" 45 races on a refresh and still competitive. This class is FAR more affordable than people originally realize.

3 members like this post: DaveP63, fish, jjracer636
10/15/14, 9:06 AM   #77
SWScaleChassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
I sincerely respect your right to your opinion. However, I think it would have much more validity if it was based upon the following: 1) real life exposure as opposed to media i.e. movies, videos, etc. 2) direct experience with what one is opining about; in my case I know the older I got the smarter my father became 3) tattoos, no issue but they are sometimes a "permanent reminder of a temporary feeling" to quote Jimmy Buffett. I certainly welcome younger fans as yourself because as you correctly say, they are much needed by our sport.
I totally understand where you're coming from. My sprint car experience is pretty much split 50/50 winged and non-winged 360's in Southern Az for a good 4 solid years of 15-20 shows/year. We never had the $$ for any kind of 410 stuff to go to SoCal for the CRA shows. Stayed between El Paso and Phx and ran everywhere in between.

And I know that my time in the sport doesn't hold a candle to some of the folks on here by a longshot. But its a way to read and learn and get a glimpse of what the rest of the country experiences.

10/15/14, 11:54 AM   #78
nathan48moore

Stick with racesavers rules.
Last edited by nathan48moore; 10/15/14 at 12:11 PM.

2 members like this post: davidm, fish
10/15/14, 12:40 PM   #79
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Dietrich View Post
Here is proof from another NE 305 driver. Just posted this on his facebook page.

"The tank is coming out!! 45+ shows without a single issue. And still fast enough to run top in time trials and finish 7th with some of the best 305s around! Heading back to Thomas Rider so he can work his magic!" 45 races on a refresh and still competitive. This class is FAR more affordable than people originally realize.
Also take this into consideration. Most tracks the 305's are racing here in the east are 3/8's to a 5/8's a mile. If a guys getting 45 races out of a 305 running on tracks like Williams Grove, Port Royal and Bridgeport, then you should not have a hard time match numbers close to that on a 1/4 mile.

10/15/14, 1:13 PM   #80
kcarm92

Was at bloomington outlaw show that 305 grunted pretty hard when track was heavy not going to get many nights out of it on that kinf of track now on the other hand if its black slick yes get more nights out of it so what is bloomington going to do cater to 305 or 410 just wondering cant please both just like trying to run sprints and late models together jmo

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why wings for 305 class?