IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smoking at the track
9/21/14, 12:49 PM   #11
rclaridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Thats just it, If there are NO RULES. Meaning no Non smoking sections, Or smoking areas, You really have no choice but to move yourself, Because technically, The smoker is doing nothing wrong.
doing nothing wrong isn't the same as doing the right thing, just saying

5 members like this post: jim goerge, Joey Woods, ronmil, team3521, TQ97
9/21/14, 12:50 PM   #12
Re: Smoking at the track
Jonr

All tracks should have family sections. Sections dedicated to non-smoking and non-drinking.

When I was growing up, my dad smoked all of the time, and the smoke did not bother me. However, it has been decades since I have been around a constant smoker and now the smoke does bother me. My children have never been around a smoker in their life, and the smoke definitely will bother them.

The same comment can be made about people drinking in the stands. When you are drinking with them, they are funny. When you are not, they are just a bunch of stupid drunks. When you have children with you, it is a reason to leave the track.

3 members like this post: dshort36, hoscalecody, team3521
9/21/14, 12:55 PM   #13
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Like I said, I and most smokers would gladly accommodate someone who had a problem, Either smoke elsewhere or move ourselves. Then theres the segment that won't.

I mentioned the Cigar in my earlier post. But a wiff of some cigars is pleasant. Getting the full force of the smoke, IS NOT.

9/21/14, 12:59 PM   #14
Rpracing1

As a former smoker (quit 8 years ago) I say you need to relocate your butt (pun) if it bothers you...........It is Outside and it is at a Racetrack.........Its not Disney on Ice at the Auditorium........JMO

7 members like this post: fish, HurstBros0, mc/rider, mowerman, PAW, racing2bwithu2, speed bump
9/21/14, 1:21 PM   #15
openwheelfan1

Both my wife and I are non-smokers and have never smoked. We both did however grow up in homes with a smoking parent and have seen that parent die of cancer attributable to smoking. We appreciate facilities that have family or non-smoking sections because to be honest, some smokers get very upset when you ask them to re-direct their smoke.

As an aside, in addition to Williams Grove and Port Royal, Knoxville Raceway is also a non-smoking venue.

Steve

1 member likes this post: davidm
9/21/14, 1:27 PM   #16
TommyBahama

My son has asthma, and the smoking at Eldora last night nearly gave him a full blown attack. I think it's incredible inconsiderate in an area where the seating is so packed. The guy directly in front of us was basically chain smoking, and watching how his smoke affected so many other people, it amazes me how people can be so blindly inconsiderate.

I'm looking forward to the day, just like Knoxville, it's illegal to smoke in the grandstands.

4 members like this post: jim goerge, Joey Woods, rdzsprint, TQ97
9/21/14, 1:56 PM   #17
Flatrightrear

Why don't people take lawn chairs or buy general admission and sit where you want and away from others? Four-Crown isn't so packed out that one doesn't have options. Be glad pot smoke isn't floating through the air legally as in some states.......at least not yet. Nobody likes the smoke but everybody wants the smokers' tax money.

4 members like this post: 99J, Charles Nungester, mowerman, racer-x
9/21/14, 2:11 PM   #18
Scott Daloisio

At Perris Auto Speedway, we have no smoking in the grandstands, concession areas (the area between the back of the grandstands and the concession buildings) or the restrooms. We also mention over the PA about the non smoking areas and where people can go to smoke. Our smoking areas are close for anybody behind turn #1, turn #4 and the main concession buildings.

4 members like this post: AustinSprinter, ISF, Pat O'Connor Fan, rdzsprint
9/21/14, 2:13 PM   #19
TommyBahama

So who has to go sit elsewhere, the smokers or non smokers?

9/21/14, 2:28 PM   #20
Kuhn74

IF I had a complaint about the WoO show at Kokomo on Tuesday, inconsiderate smokers would be it. I don't know what the proper etiquette is, and it will probably always be a topic of discussion.

Some smokers would wait for a break in the action and head down front by the catch fence, others just appeared to not care who they bothered. The main grandstand where we sat was shoulder to shoulder, it was a little annoying when someone lit one up.

I understand the smoker isn't violating any law, but you are in a crowded space and you are choosing to do something that effects other people. It effects them even if they don't want it to. We all have no choice except to breath air constantly. But smokers do have a choice not to smoke in a crowded area. It is probably the one single thing that effects other people regardless. The drunks may get annoying or drop F bombs constantly, but that is something that doesn't effect people regardless. They can't force someone to consume their habit. Smokers can't same the same thing.

So what is the rebuttal? Go sit somewhere else? Don't go to the races? That is hard to determine since you don't know you are going to be sitting in a crowd of smokers until it happens. Thankfully, MOST people are considerate enough to wait until a break in the action and go somewhere else, BUT not everyone is. I am not a smoker (obviously), but I can't imagine being so addicted to a cigarette that you can't wait 15-20 minutes to go enjoy your delight away from the masses. Funniest smokers in my time are the ones that smoke in a crowd at races and simultaneously complain about breathing in dust I have heard it on lots of occasions.

So, "smoke 'em if you got 'em," but please consider others. I can explain foul language or drunk behavior to a child, but I can't take the smoke out of my kids lungs when we get home. Just my opinion.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smoking at the track